NIB Russound QT-1 (Black Version)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One just sold on there last week for $197. But in all honesty anyone with a soldering iron and some multi throw/pole rotary switches could probably build something similar for half the cost. Back when I had a receiver with only one quad tape loop I built a box that could route the tape out signal to any three decoder inputs and then either route the output back to the receiver or a tape unit (and do my monitoring from that). But interesting find no less.

One just sold on there last week for $197. But in all honesty anyone with a soldering iron and some multi throw/pole rotary switches could probably build something similar for half the cost. Back when I had a receiver with only one quad tape loop I built a box that could route the tape out signal to any three decoder inputs and then either route the output back to the receiver or a tape unit (and do my monitoring from that). But interesting find no less.
Great piece 🥧 As mentioned, it can be confusing at first.

I was in high school I built and designed a 2ch 📦 box. Eight years before I heard of Russound.

When I first saw Russound, Gaylord Russell had just introduced QT-1. It was '77 CES. Bought one on the spot. He didn't have interconnect cables ready, but mailed them to me, as promised. It comes with several mini to mini cables. They are patch cables. Most functions will work without them.

QT-1 and Akai CR-80DSS have been a part of my main systems until this day.

Well I threw him an offer. He wants no less than $300 for it which is beyond me for what it is. Happy bidding folks.

I did that too. I have built 3 different boxes over the years.

My current one has:
- Two 12 position (one pos is OFF) source selectors
- Connections for a DJ mixer.
- Three tape/cd-r loops with play as source and separate monitor switches.
- Stereo/mono/blend/reverse switching for each of the source selectors
- Three output selectors

Use of a mixer for input signals can eliminate the need for a lot of switching/patching. My main (homebuilt) system has four (mixed) inputs which eliminates a lot of switching. No ill effects have been noted from the unused equipment remaining connected when not in use.

One of the things I like about the QT-1 is that the inputs are cut out of the signal path when the switches for an input are in the middle position. Also, you can feed the output of one input into another, chaining the signal. You can do all sorts of experimenting when you combine the use of the switches with the patchbay. For example, you could listen to the front channels of one decoder and the rear of another. Or run just the front or rear channels of a given decoder through another processor (reverb unit maybe?).
I do notice a drop in signal if more than one input's switches are activated, so it is nice to be able to eliminate all but the one I want to use at any given time.

Last edited:
Back