Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've watched/listened to part of the Kraftwerk 3D Catalogue 12345678 Box Set (Started with Disc 1 Concert in full 3D video and Atmos sound). Yeah, it's LONG. The total playing time for both discs (of either the concert or the "films" they play in the background only) is a whopping 4 Hours and 50 Minutes long! (That's 70 tracks(!) although one is the end credits). Yeah, I didn't have that much time given I was also testing my Xidoo's 4K playing ability off a hard drive (works great!) and some other things as I have to run the 3D versions of Kraftwerk off the Xidoo hard drive as well (beats loading discs).

The 3D video definitely makes the films look more interesting. As I suspected, some of those flying musical notes and other things come flying right out of the screen and I felt the need to duck practically as some hit you right in the face more or less.... :D

I also created 2D versions for KODI that can play around the house with video and I extracted .MKA files so I can direct track select from music (cutting the video out altogether, which is great for using my star/cloud projector).

I will say listening to Pocket Calculator, I definitely got the feeling that Atmos can image anywhere in the room in 3D space. That sounds were flying around in the space between my front mains and my head all around and on the ceiling. Most Atmos music I've heard doesn't really image in the middle of the room between you and the speakers except on the side walls save Yello's Point album in Big Boys Blues when a sound shoots like an arrow from the front to the back right down the middle of the room right over my head.

I was wondering if it could image out in the room in other places and I think this song pretty much answers that question. I get the feeling movies avoid that area because it would have things blowing up in the audience aisles in front of you which might seem weird (seems like it would be awesome to me), but without watching the concert footage, I think my brain can concentrate more on the sound placement (another reason I like to listen to surround albums with the screen dark, not just for the cloud/star effect on the ceiling). As nice as some 5.1 surround albums are, Atmos can be freaking amazing in terms of sound placements in every point in space (although not every Atmos music album I've heard actually does that; many are more conservative with placement).

I think it will be awhile to play the entire 5 hour concert (which is basically their entire catalogue and hence the name, I guess; even the remix album is on there live). o_O

(another reason I like to listen to surround albums with the screen dark, not just for the cloud/star effect on the ceiling). As nice as some 5.1 surround albums are, Atmos can be freaking amazing in terms of sound placements in every point in space (although not every Atmos music album I've heard actually does that; many are more conservative with placement).

In line with this comment, and remembering some comments that say that you must be at MLP to fully appreciate surround or 3D immersive sound, I was tired last night and I lay down on the couch. My head was offset from the MLP and changing orientation 90º facing the right surround speaker.
I was listening to some known Atmos tracks with many moving sounds and the experience was totally different in a very interesting way.

The panning sounds left-right were now back-front. And the real front-back panning that is less noticeable than lateral left-right pan, was now left-right and I hear more panning sounds that I didn't remember of that songs.

Just a curiosity, but if you locate apart from the MLP and orientated apart from looking to the front, if the Atmos moves sounds everywhere you are listening to a "different version" of the mix. :)

In line with this comment, and remembering some comments that say that you must be at MLP to fully appreciate surround or 3D immersive sound, I was tired last night and I lay down on the couch. My head was offset from the MLP and changing orientation 90º facing the right surround speaker.
I was listening to some known Atmos tracks with many moving sounds and the experience was totally different in a very interesting way.

The panning sounds left-right were now back-front. And the real front-back panning that is less noticeable than lateral left-right pan, was now left-right and I hear more panning sounds that I didn't remember of that songs.

Just a curiosity, but if you locate apart from the MLP and orientated apart from looking to the front, if the Atmos moves sounds everywhere you are listening to a "different version" of the mix. :)

I find a get a very different mix just moving to the 2nd row (which is just behind the mid-point of the 24' long room, but still centered) and the third row set in the back 1/4 of the room is even stranger sounding for surround (like tornado of sounds in front of you sometimes).

I've watched/listened to part of the Kraftwerk 3D Catalogue 12345678 Box Set (Started with Disc 1 Concert in full 3D video and Atmos sound). Yeah, it's LONG. The total playing time for both discs (of either the concert or the "films" they play in the background only) is a whopping 4 Hours and 50 Minutes long! (That's 70 tracks(!) although one is the end credits). Yeah, I didn't have that much time given I was also testing my Xidoo's 4K playing ability off a hard drive (works great!) and some other things as I have to run the 3D versions of Kraftwerk off the Xidoo hard drive as well (beats loading discs).

The 3D video definitely makes the films look more interesting. As I suspected, some of those flying musical notes and other things come flying right out of the screen and I felt the need to duck practically as some hit you right in the face more or less.... :D

I also created 2D versions for KODI that can play around the house with video and I extracted .MKA files so I can direct track select from music (cutting the video out altogether, which is great for using my star/cloud projector).

I will say listening to Pocket Calculator, I definitely got the feeling that Atmos can image anywhere in the room in 3D space. That sounds were flying around in the space between my front mains and my head all around and on the ceiling. Most Atmos music I've heard doesn't really image in the middle of the room between you and the speakers except on the side walls save Yello's Point album in Big Boys Blues when a sound shoots like an arrow from the front to the back right down the middle of the room right over my head.

I was wondering if it could image out in the room in other places and I think this song pretty much answers that question. I get the feeling movies avoid that area because it would have things blowing up in the audience aisles in front of you which might seem weird (seems like it would be awesome to me), but without watching the concert footage, I think my brain can concentrate more on the sound placement (another reason I like to listen to surround albums with the screen dark, not just for the cloud/star effect on the ceiling). As nice as some 5.1 surround albums are, Atmos can be freaking amazing in terms of sound placements in every point in space (although not every Atmos music album I've heard actually does that; many are more conservative with placement).

I think it will be awhile to play the entire 5 hour concert (which is basically their entire catalogue and hence the name, I guess; even the remix album is on there live). o_O

I broke my set up into 8 different albums when I ripped it...

Was perusing the Elusive Disc website and came across this NEWLY RELEASED Dolby Atmos release from singing sensation LYN STANLEY

https://elusivedisc.com/lyn-stanley-live-at-studio-a-2blu-ray-disc/
Lyn Stanley Live At Studio A 2Blu-Ray Disc

edit: Just placed order with Elusive Disc. The Blu Ray edition contains 2 discs: 1 BD~A with complete performance in ATMOS, 5.1/Stereo and a BD~V of the LIVE performance.

How is the Atmos mix on this disc?

It's studio A, one floor away from Studio C the premiere Atmos Music Recording Studio in Hollywood, it better be a freaking Masterpiece. LOL.

Are the "Mix" versions of Kraftwerk's songs different on the live concert Atmos versions? Of the ones I've compared, I'm not noticing any real differences. I read the "mix" versions were used in live concerts, but The Catalogue "concert" is pretty much all live.

I haven't compared the "Film" versions yet. I kind of figured they were just the background videos of the live concerts without cutting back ad forth to the live footage.

Also, since I don't have the 8-CD box set, I don't know if those are based off the live concerts too or if they're just remastered versions of the original albums. It's not fully clear reading the reviews which sometimes seem to contradict each other on whether the 3D Catalogue us a remaster project or a 4 hour and 50 minute concert.

Since most of the music in the concert is sequenced, there's little to no audible difference beyond the vocals either way, making it hard to tell for someone new to Kraftwerk, but I figure life long fans tat have heard the original albums many times would have no trouble telling the differences.

Just released in Japan:
T.jpg

Tomita: The Tale of Genji - Symphonic Fantasy
2CD+BD-V

Formats:
2ch (192kHz/24bit)
5.1 ch dts-HD Master Audio (192kHz/24bit)
11.1 ch Dolby Atmos
11.1 ch Auro-3D (96kHz/24bit)

It might be region A coded, though.

Available from:
https://www.musicecosystems.jp/shop/product/4589473710884-orchestra-recording-version-12304https://www.amazon.co.jp/Tomita-The-Tale-of-Genji-Symphonic-Fantasy-Blu-ray/dp/B091Z3PFV5
Mix: Hideo Irimajiri
https://synthax.jp/rme-premium-recordings/the-tale-of-genji-2014/engineers-note

New Schiller release Epic (with orchestra) comes on October 29th on BD-V (Dolby Atmos), mix by Bodo Schulte.
Pre-order links (the first 1.000 preorders will receive an autograph card):
Deluxe (CD+BD-V)
Ltd. Super Deluxe (2CD+BD-V) w/40-page artbook
(alternatively also at Amazon.de and jpc.de)
Christopher von Deylen (SCHILLER) creates his own epic orchestral sound on "EPIC". Drawing inspiration from film music, SCHILLER combines his atmospheric electronic soundscapes with emotional orchestral arrangements to create an imaginary cinematic soundtrack. SCHILLER recorded the album together with a huge symphonic orchestra in famous Synchron Stage in Vienna, where Hans Zimmer or James Newton Howard have also recorded some of their scores. "Working with forty creative people was a breath-taking experience," SCHILLER says about the recording. "Although there are sound libraries with excellent orchestra samples, real instruments are fortunately irreplaceable. You immediately feel a wonderful, powerful energy. Being in a huge room full of collective creative power is incredibly inspiring. On ‘Epic’ I try to capture this mood and share it with the listeners."

The limited Super Deluxe Edition contains 2 CDs, 1 BluRay and a 40-page hardcover artbook in a slipcase. CD1 contains the album "Epic" with 12 epic electronic-orchestral tracks. CD2 contains 12 more new SCHILLER tracks. The BluRay contains the complete album in the immersive Dolby Atmos multi-channel sound, extensive behind-the-scenes material and exclusive orchestral performances. The Deluxe Edition contains the album "Epic" on CD 1 and the BluRay in a digipak with a 24-page booklet. The limited 180g double-vinyl contains the album "Epic" and bonus tracks on 2 white LPs in a gatefold.

Super Deluxe edition:
1628542747179.png

Just released in Japan:
View attachment 67076
Tomita: The Tale of Genji - Symphonic Fantasy
2CD+BD-V

Formats:
2ch (192kHz/24bit)
5.1 ch dts-HD Master Audio (192kHz/24bit)
11.1 ch Dolby Atmos
11.1 ch Auro-3D (96kHz/24bit)

It might be region A coded, though.

Available from:
https://www.musicecosystems.jp/shop/product/4589473710884-orchestra-recording-version-12304https://www.amazon.co.jp/Tomita-The-Tale-of-Genji-Symphonic-Fantasy-Blu-ray/dp/B091Z3PFV5
Mix: Hideo Irimajiri
https://synthax.jp/rme-premium-recordings/the-tale-of-genji-2014/engineers-note

Has anyone gotten this yet? I'm VERY curious about it.

New Schiller release Epic (with orchestra) comes on October 29th on BD-V (Dolby Atmos), mix by Bodo Schulte.
Pre-order links (the first 1.000 preorders will receive an autograph card):
Deluxe (CD+BD-V)
Ltd. Super Deluxe (2CD+BD-V) w/40-page artbook
(alternatively also at Amazon.de and jpc.de)

Super Deluxe edition:
View attachment 69944

I was able to get a 2cd/2blu-ray edition of Morgenstund from Amazon US at an insanely low price of $17.13. Although this music is not my favorite, I do find it very relaxing listening. I thought the production was top notch; the atmos mix was well done - very immersive with significant sound coming from the overheads, although not super discrete or directional but with occasional swirling effects. This appears to be quite a bit more expensive, but I'll be interested in the reviews. Hopefully the price will come down a bit. The text describing the Deluxe Edition is a bit confusing - it's listed as being 2 cds, but the detailed text says 1 cd and 1 blu-ray.

Back