Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding those older speakers, AR9’s etc, did your techs refurbish the electronics as well? I redid all of the capacitors and resistors in all of my speakers. Those old NPE capacitors became problematic.
Other than having them refoamed, I have not messed with the crossovers.

I am attempting to reclaim some space in my house. I bought a few shelves to try to accomplish that goal. Here is the first shelf full.
C5ACD427-C0AC-471F-89C0-FD514EAD82C8.jpeg

Picked up this minty QS-01 last week. Basically the same first generation Vario-Matrix decoder found in the x500 series in an external box (great if you want to make decoded dubs!). Sadly no synthesizing modes but hey, beggars can't be choosers. ;)

I've uploaded the single page flyer on HiFiEngine.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Picked up this minty QS-01 last week. Basically the same first generation Vario-Matrix decoder found in the x500 series in an external box (great if you want to make decoded dubs!). Sadly no synthesizing modes but hey, beggars can't be choosers. ;)

I've uploaded the single page flyer on HiFiEngine.
Looks to be in very nice condition, congrats on the grab. ;)

And on the subject of properly engineered valve amplifiers...

There's little prospect of a return to the concert hall for the foreseeable future - and sadly, this is the first year that I haven't been to The Proms since 1976!! Forced into staying a home for entertainment, I therefore have an excuse to upgrade the Hi-Fi system! I wanted the best sounding, and best made, valve amp available and the small German brand Octave is very highly regarded in the field these days with innovative new circuit topologies (not just rehashed 1950's stuff). After a lot of research I decided on their most powerful V80SE integrated amp which has had rave reviews worldwide and I've just taken delivery of one now. This shows the weighty beast having just been lugged out of its packing crate but before discarding, as everybody does, the ugly valve cage fitted for health and safety reasons-

View attachment 54648

This stuff is hand made in Germany (not China!)-

OCTAVE Production

and was therefore a little on the pricey side (!), but I got an excellent trade in deal for some of my existing equipment. It has loads of features that are fairly unusual these days, particularly on a valve amp, such as recorder in / out, processor loop, pre-amp and power-amp sections operable separately -

View attachment 54653

all very useful if, like me, you want to connect things like a digital recorder and of course an SMv2. It also has a remote control milled out of a solid lump of aluminium that weighs 1/4 Kg!

But the main attraction was that the power amp is wholly designed around the new generation of high power valves that have gone into production recently. The following shows the unit as I'm installing KT120 beam tetrodes for initial commissioning. These massive valves, as the name suggests, produce 120W from a push-pull pair-

View attachment 54650

I'll also be trying it with the even larger KT150's (which are even scarier!). The great thing is that you can actually use practically any power valve in it because (unlike most valve amps) you can set the optimum operating conditions using a simple LED display on the front panel; just set everything to green when you change valves-

View attachment 54651
I got it on sale or return - but even after only a few hours of running in, it won't be going back, it really sounds superb. Valve amps are often praised for being open and natural sounding although honestly often tend to be a bit 'flabby' in the bass - but I'm genuinely shocked at how deep and controlled this thing is - and the amount of power on tap is effectively limitless.

View attachment 54652

It is probably the best amplifier, be it valve or solid state that I've ever owned - and that's a lot!
I've been so pleased with the performance of that Octave amp, I've just taken delivery from Germany of this add on unit...
P1030373 (2).jpg

It's their "Super Black Box" power supply upgrade...
P1030377 (2).jpg

Basically it's a very, very expensive way of buying a lot of capacitors (but what the heck , it's only money)! Keen to hear what changes it makes.

After 32 years of faithful service, including the last 15 years pulling garage duty, my Denon AVC 700 bit the dust yesterday.

Not to worry though, out of retirement and out of the closet, the Denon 2907 makes its middle weight comeback. Now supporting some sweet 4 channel quad stereo.

The garage system, where old equipment goes to die.

garage.jpg

After 32 years of faithful service, including the last 15 years pulling garage duty, my Denon AVC 700 bit the dust yesterday.

Not to worry though, out of retirement and out of the closet, the Denon 2907 makes its middle weight comeback. Now supporting some sweet 4 channel quad stereo.

The garage system, where old equipment goes to die.

View attachment 66949
where can we send flowers:cry:

She doesn't look real to me.
Oh well no bother.
As Bryan Ferry would say
"De luxe and delightful
Inflatable doll
My role is to serve you
Disposable darling"
I agree that there is a robotic quality to her pose and her lack of facial expression. I’d say that she’s a replicant built by the Tyrell Corporation. As Deckard would say, “…your basic pleasure model. Talk about ‘beauty and the beast.’” The perfect companion for listening to “mono reprocessed for stereo.”

Back