Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - “The Red Planet” CD+DVD out 4/3/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just trying to get Ralphie fired up...LOL...he won't even buy a toaster unless it's hi rez :whistle:

I'll have you know, Clinty, that I purchased my deluxe DeLonghi toaster oven from tony Bloomingdales 15 years ago ..... and it still works perfectly!

See the source image

Last edited:
Which......is why I started keeping an excel sheet of all my purchases, how I paid, how much I paid, date of order, yada yada. It helps
I considered this a few years back when Acoustic Sounds Vinyl Vault (I think it was them) announced that they had acquired a massive LP collection fully notated with dates of purchase and original purchase prices. But... I was already decades down the road of buying and collecting, so forget it at this point. I do keep Excel spreadsheets on my collection itself, because it was starting to get a little unwieldly to be able to remember for certain what I did or didn't have. You know, you come home with what turns out to be another duplicate LP...

Dolby digital 24/48 and DTS 24/96 is this still the upmix or what was originally specified?
Most likely - see the new back cover:
1620031950090.png

"5.1 Surround UpMix by Simon Heyworth"
"The 5.1 UpMix - Surround performance on this disc was electronically created from the original stereo source without the benefit of the multitrack masters"

Last edited:
Most likely - see the new back cover:
View attachment 66759
"5.1 Surround UpMix by Simon Heyworth"
"The 5.1 UpMix - Surround performance on this disc was electronically created from the original stereo source without the benefit of the multitrack masters"

i can't see how anyone would have any problem with that kind of upfront description. i honestly wish other labels would follow suit and be as transparent so buyers can make an informed choice before picking up a certain release. i will add that i find a Simon Heyworth upmix is often preferable to some mixes from multitracks by certain other folk, he knows his stuff for sure 👍

Looks like Amazon description is wrong (no surprise there) as they still list it as having DTS 24/96 but no mention of that on the cover.

Looks like Amazon description is wrong (no surprise there) as they still list it as having DTS 24/96 but no mention of that on the cover.
So is Burning Shed:
This 2 disc edition features the original album on CD, while the DVD contains 5.1 surround sound and Hi-res stereo audio (PCM Stereo @ 24-bit 96kHz / Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround @ 24-bit 48kHz / DTS 5.1 Digital Surround @ 24-bit 96kHz) plus 3 mini promo films and a 70 minute documentary of “The Making Of The Red Planet”.
That's why I posted the cover (source: jpc.de).

I have the retail version. It DOES have a DTS soundtrack. But when I compared it to the DD I think they sound the same. Which hopefully is good news if you have the initial version with no DTS and were thinking you were missing out.

Music is good, mix is very good for an upmix. I would have been a bit disappointed if expecting a proper surround mix but the description admitted it was an upmix (kudos to Rick/ the label) so I was prepared. (I trusted the good reviews from my QQ friends when they said this is worthwhile and, of course, they were right!)

I think the sound quality isn't too good. That may be one reason why the DTS is no better than the DD. (Maybe the DTS was created from the DD. A bit like creating a quad 8 track from the decoded SQ... ;) )

Video extras are a mixed bag. There's some good info in there but also a lot of filler. You only need to see one magic trick by Rick.

In short: Very good for an upmix. Don't expect miracles but don't let that put you off.

The problem with Red Planet is the music is weak and the production is arena-rock dreadful. Upmixing it just spreads the awfulness around.

I was easy to please initially. Probably because I just hated the vocals on all of his solo albums and he finally released something instrumental. I mean that wasn't piano covers of xmas songs or Queen singles or something. My first reaction to the mix was thinking it was pretty mono with just some polite wiggles here and there but at least it wasn't shrill and awful. Sure wasn't very surround... oh, it's an upmix?! Then I felt a little cheated for not hearing it as mixed in stereo first! Now I'm with ssully's reaction. Missed opportunity to mess around in surround and maybe help create a little more interest!

Back