Groups/Artists we've seen Live that have released Studio albums in SURROUND & QUAD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the same . Just don't have the compunction to go to live shows anymore.
Just not that enjoyable anymore.

And the ticket prices are ridiculous nowadays !
Especially considering what I paid for a late 60's/70's performance. Also I notice some shows turn into a drunkfest.
(The C, S, N & Y Concert comes to mind )

And the Concert Sound Experience is somewhat subpar , not always but still occurs.

I'll stick to the occasional small venue from now on , few exceptions.

Just not so enjoyable or thrilling at my age (66) .

Maybe I'm just getting to be a curmudgeon .🐏
Your fine, I'm more than sure fizzy!

Heck, I kept a lot of my ticket stubs from back then (70's) and they all were around $7.50 (yeah not Seven Hundred and Fifty -LOL) even The Eagles, which now charge exorbitant amounts of dough.

Was this with Tommy Bolin???
Honestly I don't remember I had just left boot camp and after leave was assigned to a destroyer in Longbeach the concert was in 1971.One thing I wanted to add a bit off topic but before comedy clubs came into being I was at a concert in Longbeach maybe it was Humble Pie and Gabe Kaplan from Welcome Back Kotter was the opener trying to do a standup act it was horrible for him the crowd wasn't having it they wanted music I felt bad for him this was in 72.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 1981 Winnipeg Stadium - Blue Oyster Cult / Heart / Ted Nugent / Loverboy.

Blue Oyster Cult had a fair bit of Quad and a 5.1 release. Heart had a live SACD in 5.1. I don't think that the others did.

I saw Black Oak Arkansas in a local bar in the mid eighties! Bars were always the best place to see live music, I was never that big on going to the big concerts.

R.E.O. Speedwagon at the Harbourfront Pavilion in Kenora Ontario several years ago.

Gene you would have been amazed and deafened if you got to hear them like I did back in 71 .
The Winnipeg Centennial Concert Hall is a smaller Concert Hall mainly designed for Symphonies and the like. And it's designed for great acoustics . With posh seating , balconies and ushers who were trying hard to get people to stop striking up joints.
Sabbath blew everyones minds and ears with their (justified ) amplified sound. Two shows yet almost back to back. We attended their late show . Smoked a little boo and sat back mellowed out for the show.
Afterwards we were gathered on the front steps deciding the best way to get home , when out of the blue Ozzie , Tony and Company came out through the front doors !
We exchanged our salutations on the show as they grabbed their limo to their hotel.
Something to remember fondly from their 1971 appearance.

😌
🤩

Aug 1, 1981 Winnipeg Stadium - Blue Oyster Cult / Heart / Ted Nugent / Loverboy.

Blue Oyster Cult had a fair bit of Quad and a 5.1 release. Heart had a live SACD in 5.1. I don't think that the others did.

I saw Black Oak Arkansas in a local bar in the mid eighties! Bars were always the best place to see live music, I was never that big on going to the big concerts.

R.E.O. Speedwagon at the Harbourfront Pavilion in Kenora Ontario several years ago.

Hi Ken.

Yes those would have been great Concerts , especially that multi group appearance .

BTW Ted Nugent also had a quad album "Free For All"

And Black Oak Arkansas in a bar would be an ideal show . Like their quad album "Raunch And Roll". You lucked out on that one !

Your fine, I'm more than sure fizzy!

Heck, I kept a lot of my ticket stubs from back then (70's) and they all were around $7.50 (yeah not Seven Hundred and Fifty -LOL) even The Eagles, which now charge exorbitant amounts of dough.

I kept a couple of my ticket stubs as well, Pupsi. :)

I think I still have Concert stubs for The Who and Genesis.

As to Artists or groups I'd still pay to see , probably Genesis (providing Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel are there).

Or the remaining Pink Floyd with Roger Waters.

Otherwise it's small venues for me.😎

Honestly I don't remember I had just left boot camp and after leave was assigned to a destroyer in Longbeach the concert was in 1971.One thing I wanted to add a bit off topic but before comedy clubs came into being I was at a concert in Longbeach maybe it was Humble Pie and Gabe Kaplan from Welcome Back Kotter was the opener trying to do a standup act it was horrible for him the crowd wasn't having it they wanted music I felt bad for him this was in 72.
If it was 71 then no, but thanks for the story..lot of Legendary concerts there!!

If it was 71 then no, but thanks for the story..lot of Legendary concerts there!!
I was pretty lucky getting stationed in California after Longbeach I was sent to the bay area to another ship, and in-between trips overseas weekends were spent at Winterland Arena saw many great bands there.

Hi Ken.

Yes those would have been great Concerts , especially that multi group appearance .

BTW Ted Nugent also had a quad album "Free For All"

And Black Oak Arkansas in a bar would be an ideal show . Like their quad album "Raunch And Roll". You lucked out on that one !
One side of that BOA album was recorded at the now gone Paramount theater in Portland, Or a venue in my home town with some great concert history.

A little off track but ;

Did anyone experience "The Summer Of L♡ve" in 1967 , San Francisco ?
And the emergence of Psychedelic Bands such as "The Grateful Dead" ,"Jefferson Airplane" , Quicksilver Messenger Service" , "Moby Grape" and others from that Psychedelic time.

🤯✨

A little off track but ;

Did anyone experience "The Summer Of L♡ve" in 1967 , San Francisco ?
And the emergence of Psychedelic Bands such as "The Grateful Dead" ,"Jefferson Airplane" , Quicksilver Messenger Service" , "Moby Grape" and others from that Psychedelic time.

🤯✨
If you follow the saying, if they were ......... :unsure: would they remember? :devilish::ROFLMAO:

1969 - The Doors (Minneapolis Auditorium)
1970 or '71 - The Moody Blues (as above)

1972(?) - Chicago (Metropolitan Sports Center, Bloomington MN)

The first two were far better acoustically than the last one: Met Sports Center was the home arena for the Minnesota North Stars and echoed like sound-checking a canyon.

Sight-wise, the Moody Blues was most comfortable. Just far enough back from the stage (in elevated seats) that there was no need for severely craning one's neck to focus on the performers.
(Had an early SONY portable cassette -- WAY before the 'Walkman' -- and taped much of the concert.)

Closest of all was for The Doors. Not more than 8 rows above ground floor and around 60' from the stage itself. Only problem was being in a 'wing' section and keeping a hard turn toward the performers was deucedly uncomfortable.

Completely forgot the earliest one I attended -- largely because their only quad album ("Bridge Over Troubled Water") was released a year and a half after the concert I attended!

1968 - Simon & Garfunkel (Minneapolis Auditorium)

Back