Rain / thunder sounds in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in New Orleans, where I have to turn off my Mac and unplug the UPS it's connected to because of the SERIOUS thunderstorms that happen in an almost weekly basis(yesterday was another one) , I really do not need anything reminding me of this kind of weather...
I grew up on the beach in Puerto Rico (and it was ON THE BEACH too) , there were thunderstorms quite frequently but NOLA is another world in itself... here you can have a life threatening storm brew out of NOTHING (i.e., with nothing coming from the weather service)... AAMOF I think I see storms brewing right now!

Living in New Orleans, where I have to turn off my Mac and unplug the UPS it's connected to because of the SERIOUS thunderstorms that happen in an almost weekly basis(yesterday was another one) , I really do not need anything reminding me of this kind of weather...
I grew up on the beach in Puerto Rico (and it was ON THE BEACH too) , there were thunderstorms quite frequently but NOLA is another world in itself... here you can have a life threatening storm brew out of NOTHING (i.e., with nothing coming from the weather service)... AAMOF I think I see storms brewing right now!

And being that New Orleans is BELOW sea level, KAP, hope you have your sound system propped up on STILTS!

My one trip to New Orleans for work (1994 I think) it rained not long after leaving the airport, the roads went from bone dry to flooded (easily 4" deep) in minutes, then the sun came out and the water vanished. I also almost trod on a ball of Fire Ants!

I was only in New Orleans for Mardi Gras in the late 80's. Humid and Sticky in February but had a spectacular time and the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD...and the MUSIC .... NEED YOU ASK?

Last edited:
And being that New Orleans is BELOW sea level, KAP, hope you have your sound system propped up on STILTS!
I am actually a privileged NOLA resident .. I live in Jefferson Parish and, according to satellite maps the area I reside in is...wait for it....a WHOLE FOUR FEET above sea level!!!!
Downtown is below sea level especially because of all the hi rise construction...

I would still like to get one of these 4 channel recorders for things like thunderstorms
jFiC9xn.jpg

Speaking of albums recorded with thunder ...
There is a crack of thunder on Caravan's -In The Land Of Pink .

I think the song is "Nine Feet Under Ground".

I would still like to get one of these 4 channel recorders for things like thunderstorms
jFiC9xn.jpg
Niiice, that Zoom looks great!!
It has ocurred to me and I might try it but unfortunately , ny Zoom is from 2008 and it can't do 96/24 in Quad, only 48/24...it also distorts VERY easily so I would have to use the highest compression setting...
this is my H2...very humble and very finnicky!
zoomH2_HandyRecorder.png.440x0_q70_size_canvas_upscale.png

I was only in New Orleans for Mardi Gras in the late 80's. Humid and Sticky in February but had a spectacular time and the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD...and the MUSIC .... NEED YOU ASK?
I landed in the morning from New York via Cincinnati, then caught the evening plane to Atlanta, only had lunch asked for a cup of tea, and got iced tea, and the waitress asked if I was Australian!

I landed in the morning from New York via Cincinnati, then caught the evening plane to Atlanta, only had lunch asked for a cup of tea, and got iced tea, and the waitress asked if I was Australian!

Don't know which is worse, "ice" tea or a small cup of warm water presented on a saucer with a stale tea bag.

I grew up in New Orleans. When I was a kid in the early 80s, you could set your watch by the daily storms that would take place in the Summer. I was a typical aloof kid that did not see any seriousness in storms. In fact I thought they were fun....and that includes Hurricanes. I always liked the coolness the storms would bring in the late afternoons. The hard rain also washed down the French Quarter's Streets.

Another one of those only-been-there-once...but for a several days' stay.

1988 World Science Fiction convention -- the only WorldCon I ever attended that was a near-total dog -- made memorable only by virtue of all the other things outside of the convention one found to do.

Typical tourist stuff surely:
Cafe du Monde beignets; Po' Poys; oysters by the bucket; $100 each breakfast at Brennans -- the only time I've ever been given a wine menu at breakfast!

Got real lucky in that WorldCon, always held on Labor Day weekend (the height of many hurricane seasons) was spared any violent weather that year.

Still, never experienced "swimming in air" humidity like that before or since with the uncomfortably ever-sticky shirts worn for hours on end.
(Generously poured libations inevitably moderated that.)

Don't know which is worse, "ice" tea or a small cup of warm water presented on a saucer with a stale tea bag.
The nadir of all options:
'Iced tea' made from a powdered drink mix!

Niiice, that Zoom looks great!!
It has ocurred to me and I might try it but unfortunately , ny Zoom is from 2008 and it can't do 96/24 in Quad, only 48/24...it also distorts VERY easily so I would have to use the highest compression setting...
this is my H2...very humble and very finnicky!
I just ordered a Tascam DR-70D for quad field recordings. However, the fancier DR-701D has the ability to record in Ambisonics A & B (even though I'm strictly a quad guy and think Ambisonics is the work of the Devil ;)). Tascam markets these as portable recorders for semi-pro vloggers who use DSLRs for video shooting.

Back