SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9E5DB733-EA93-43DC-B669-ED232A612FCF.jpeg

727D3D52-306F-4875-AC6A-2F4AE91FE0D6.jpeg

Johann Gottfried Müthel

Léon Berben (organ of Sankt-Lukas-Kirche, Mühlberg)

This is an enjoyable recording that I recently acquired and find myself coming back to. Having studied with C.Ph.E. Bach, Johann Gottfried Müthel’s music is imbued with his mentor’s expressive “Empfindsamkeit” style. The rustic sound of the organ adds to the charm of the idiosyncratic nature of Müthel’s works.

Here’s an in-depth review: http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_r..._AE-11131.html

I actually listened to that recording the other day for as Alex Ross notes, it's pretty much Christa Ludwig at her peak. Throw in the fact she's performing alongside the mighty Fritz Wunderlich, and with Otto Klemperer at the helm, not only is it one of the best performances Christa ever gave, it's one of the best performances of Das Lied ever!

Thanks humprof, what a great way to start the day (y)

20% off sitewide on the new Channel Classics website, though May 12th (code: NEWSITE).

https://mailchi.mp/channel/2021-may?e=05d0392ecf
I've got plenty of CC's discs, many of them acquired during previous sales. Any recommendations (among the newer releases)?
I am looking for things that I don't have and that Presto doesn't have on SACD, which seems to include a fair number of Florilegium recordings.

June 11, 2021 Release date
Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer

43821-1024x1024.jpg
Great news! And it completes his Brahms Symphony Cycle. Of course, now I want the first Serenade as well (basically a lighter symphony). There's two versions of it out there (de Vriend and Ticcati), but my favorite thus far is still Masur on the Pentatone quad version.
71KPsO-5imL._SL500_.jpg

20% off sitewide on the new Channel Classics website, though May 12th (code: NEWSITE).

https://mailchi.mp/channel/2021-may?e=05d0392ecf
I've got plenty of CC's discs, many of them acquired during previous sales. Any recommendations (among the newer releases)?
It looks like Rachel Podger's new recording of Mozart completions isn't on SACD either. Not a great sign overall, even if multichannel downloads remain available at premium prices.

It looks like Rachel Podger's new recording of Mozart completions isn't on SACD either. Not a great sign overall, even if multichannel downloads remain available at premium prices.

More profit in downloads, no doubt, especially with the pricing structure they've adopted. On the other hand: maybe we can hope that the SACD releases have merely been delayed because of the pandemic, but that they wanted to get the releases out now, in some format or other?

Wonder if Channel Classics will EVER repeat that fabulous sale of a few years ago when SACDs were priced at a little above $5 each......I think I purchased about 18 Channel Classics multi~CH SACDs!
I doubt it. Channel issued a lot of material of more niche interest, and has a few stars of much broader interest (mainly Rachel Podger and Ivan Fischer). That sale was clearing out inventory of the more niche stuff. Although everything is available as a MCH DSD download, only Podger and Fischer are still being released on SACD.

I doubt it. Channel issued a lot of material of more niche interest, and has a few stars of much broader interest (mainly Rachel Podger and Ivan Fischer). That sale was clearing out inventory of the more niche stuff. Although everything is available as a MCH DSD download, only Podger and Fischer are still being released on SACD.

Ubertrout, except for dear ole Bissie, it seems Pentatone, Chandos, Channel and other classical labels are following the same template ...... Only A list artists and repertoire seem to be getting SACD releases. With under 10% of the world's population actually listening to Classical music, NOT surprising!

Looks like I misspoke. So weird that there's different art on the Channel site. This is from Amazon.

61odMmIGGOL._SL600_.jpg

It has been very favorably reviewed at HRAudio.net

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=14736#reviews
Product Notes
Among the many instrumental pieces that remained incomplete at Mozart's death there were four particularly beautiful fragments for violin and piano. Timothy Jones has made multiple new completions of these fragments based on Mozart's evolving style during the 1780s, exploring the open-endedness of the fragments and the different directions the music might have taken. Rachel Podger and Christopher Glynn present the world premiere recordings, which include two completions of each Sonata fragment, enabling listeners to take alternative journeys through Mozart's material.

Last edited:
Back