Can one rip Atmos discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baward

Hi,

I want to rip my few Atmos discs, so they can be played from my NAS. Is this possible? Will I be able to include the Atmos track when creating the video file with VLC?

Thank you.

You can rip with MakeMKV and then split with Music Media Helper and convert to m4a.
This is correct but there are some good little tricks depending on how you want to playback.

1. MakeMKV rip gets you the file, easy.
2. Music Media Helper: you now can separate into chapters or full length running, depending if you have gapless playback or not. Also, will you like to view the video, like Kraftwerk 3D, etc.

Keep us posted if it gets a little tricky.

Last edited:
This is correct but there are some good little tricks depending on how you want to playback.

1. MakeMKV rip gets you the file, easy.
2. Music Media Helper: you now can separate into chapters or full length running, depending if you have gapless playback or not. Also, will you like to view the video, like Kraftwerk 3D, etc.

Keep us posted if it gets a little tricky.
Ok, but if I want to mix and match songs from different albums, how can I stitch the chapters back together?

Ok, but if I want to mix and match songs from different albums, how can I stitch the chapters back together?
We all have different situations and I don't make playlists, however if I did I would do one of a couple ways.
1. Before I move my files to my NAS and JRiver I can separate chapters/tracks in my download folder on my PC. Rename a new folder-Playlist- and populate with the songs I want. Copy over to NAS.
2. When I am in JRiver grab what songs/chapters/tracks I want, and just name the album, Rock Playlist, Jazz Playlist, etc and the songs will populate as one playlist folder.
That is what I would do, if I understand your question correctly?

No Jriver for me, have lost 4 computers with it (im in someones hitlist). I want to play on a panasonic uhd player via usb.

I have resorted to keeping two versions of most videos. One is the full length video with embedded chapters, the other is a collection of split chapters. This is because I do like the convienience of selecting individual video tracks, but i also dislike the glitch that occurs when going from one split chapter to the next. So that is my solution for now. At least until i start running out of space.

What I need is a way to identify individual chapters within a full video so they show up like what happens with CUE files for music. I use KODI, and i hope this type of feature appears at some point. IMO KODI is a great music player, but it leaves a lot to be desired with respect to video.

No Jriver for me, have lost 4 computers with it (im in someones hitlist). I want to play on a panasonic uhd player via usb.

Are you able to "mix and match songs from different albums" with standard stereo tracks with that player via usb?

I don't do stereo.:D But I do have a few MKV songs. Handbrake is supposed to be able to stitch them.

What about a Playlist file?. This is just a simple text file that holds a list of songs to play in order. It has the track and artist names and the path to the file. You can add any song on a drive or NAS to the playlist file. You then play the Playlist file. Simple!

M3U playlists can be used in VLC, Foobar, Kodi and JRiver

Music Media Helper has a tool to create play lists by selecting audio files or dragging them from Windows File Explore. You can reorder by dragging files in the list up and down. Save the playlist. No data to enter except the file name for your playlist

A play list can contain any file supported by your player and can mix FLAC, mp3, MKV, wav, m4a etc in one playlist file.

Last edited:
But the M2Ts files are often one file with the entire album. Also, you have to play them as video files.

M2TS files don’t have chapters. Chapters are in a metadata file on the original disc. You can’t add chapter in to M2TS files.

M2TS files don’t have chapters. Chapters are in a metadata file on the original disc. You can’t add chapter in to M2TS files.

But some albums rip with different m2ts files for each song. Steven Wilson The Future Bites is the one I play the most and it has individual files that automatically play in sequence. YACHT Chain Tripping is like that too. Abbey Road and Goats Head Soup are in one file, but they come up with a menu that let's you pick an individual track when you play it. OTOH Yello Point is in one file and all you get is a black screen with no way to play an individual track. The Kraftwerk m2ts files are weirdest, often with multiple songs per file, but not a whole album.

What about a Playlist file?. This is just a simple text file that holds a list of songs to play in order. It has the track and artist names and the path to the file. You can add any song on a drive or NAS to the playlist file. You then play the Playlist file. Simple!

M3U playlists can be used in VLC, Foobar, Kodi and JRiver

Music Media Helper has a tool to create play lists by selecting audio files or dragging them from Windows File Explore. You can reorder by dragging files in the list up and down. Save the playlist. No data to enter except the file name for your playlist
create a bet
A play list can contain any file supported by your player and can mix FLAC, mp3, MKV, wav, m4a etc in one playlist file.
Thanks, I use playlists with flacs all the time. I'm trying to create a gapless demo file for ATMOS. I do believe that handbrake can stitch Mkv chapters. Also, the Med8ber media player will play one chapter after the other gapless, sadly my computers will get hacked with all media player software except foobar, I have a cemetery of PCs in a corner.:) Why I use via USB the modded oppo203 and the Panasonic entry-level UHD, which is no slack soundwise.

Back