Jon Anderson releasing new surround material ("Olias of Sunhillow" upmix out in March!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have also received my copy from Cherry Red yesterday in Northern Georgia -USA.

I have never owned a copy of this album before and am not familiar with it so I can't comment on any stereo improvement.

Took a chance on this based on price point and I am not disappointed. While the surround mixes can't be described as discrete, they come across as something a tad bit more than extended stereo. There are definitely some moments where the harp / sitar sounds seem to be more focused in the rears.
A good try given that the masters were not available.

If we had an up-mix poll, I would give it an 8
Obviously it isn't going to stack up to top notch mix sourced from mulits.

Regarding the packaging....
The text in two booklets is readable to eyesight challenged; however, the fantastic imagery / story portion of the artwork is tough to read confined to the panels of a standard digipak. Would have been nice if they had included a foldout insert.

Attachments

• IMG_0699[1].JPG
    IMG_0699[1].JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 104
Sure are a lot of "varied experiences" with sellers.
Most important, for the 'negatives,' is providing some sort of detail for credibility.
I've had numerous bad experiences with both Import CDs and their sister company Deep Discount. I refuse to buy from them- horrible customer service. I'd rather pay a bit more than give them any of my business.

Bought a ton from Import CDs over the years with this observation:
From their own website it always seems to take longer to receive shipment.
From eBay I get orders pretty quickly.
Fastest were those purchased via AMAZON.

A very bad early experience with Deep Discount -- slow shipment, inadequate packaging, case damages for BOTH a DVD and a CD -- kept me away from them for years. Only recently has that changed and I was not the least bit unhappy with the results.

The worst experience I ever had was with Acoustic Sounds.
No, not the fact that The Beatles 'Abbey Road' deluxe box had been left by their delivery service in an un-attended area OUTSIDE of the secure entrance to an 11 story apartment building but...

Their reps' utter lack of concern for my telephoned complaint, total lack of follow-up to my specific details as REQUESTED, and not one single communication from them -- other than their useless, irrelevant, e-mail offerings to this ex-customer.

Jeez I forgot to go get my mail today until I was ready to pad off to bed, so as soon as I remembered, I went out to get it and here's a package from Cherry Red with this album in it - I'd forgotten I even ordered it!! Seriously, I've been reading this thread for the last coupla days thinking, Hmm, should I order this, or not, or...?

I'm such an idiot. What's worse, now it's so late, I can't even listen to it tonight! Good god.

Edit: On the plus side, looks like I now have an excuse to buy one of those USB microscope things, so I can read this fine print!!

Last edited:
If you're just a twat looking for discrete surround sound jollies, don't get this record.

But if you know this album, or love beautiful melodies, chord changes, timbres, do.

I know this album well...I bought it the week it came out. Saw and heard a bit of it previewed at Roosevelt Stadium in June 1976, during Jon's mesmerizing 'harp solo'.

The 5.1 is an upmix. What mainly happens is you get a vastly greater 'envelopment' as well as occasional trebly elements sounding pseudo-discreetly from the rears.

It works. It does work. It's engaging, and it reveals elements of the mix that you maybe hadn't heard before. It also sound less harsh at loud volumes than the stereo mix.

The negative is, you know what parts would have been distributed to surrounds in a proper remix -- like the burbling intro of 'Olias -- To Build the Moorglade' ; like numerous multitracked vocals -- but aren't. You can tell, and you wish.

But. You do get greater appreciation for this astonishing album.

Jon made his first solo album over months in 1975-6. He was the last to finish. The album came out in the middle of the 1976 tour.
Yes were at their most grand in 1976, pummeling the audience with intricate numbers like 'Sound Chaser', "Gates of Delirium', 'Ritual', 'Siberian Khatru, 'Heart of the Sunrise', lasers , a Roger Dean backdrop, a Yes balloon, and an *animatronic three headed dragon*.

graphic_2983.jpg

I will never forget it!

Side one of Olias features proto-New Age tracks like 'Ocean Song' and 'Qoqaq en Transic' with their Vulcan gongs, harps, Gregorian chant bass, gorgeous cascading synthesizer runs. The center piece is the tribal 'NAON' , which unfolds a bit in the upmix. The side culminates in 'Flight of the Moorglade" a track that arguably proves Jon Anderson to be the singular genius of Yes. It's all there, the gorgeous melody, interesting changes and rhythms, beautiful harmonies. Side Two' s sound world to me always evoked Tolkein. It features 'Moon Ra', something a demented John Lennon might have come up with circa 1967. Again Jon Anderson's (untrained!) manipulation of harmonic tension and release is masterful. The acoustic guitar "Chords" could have used Steve Howe, but 'To The Runner' ends the album with another demonstration of JA's brilliance. Jon sequestered himself for months to make this album virtually alone, and he never produced anything as magnificent again in his solo career.

Last edited:
Just got mine today and I want to thank those on here who helped change my mind about getting this release. VERY satisfying. I can't add much to what Sully said above- a very apt description of the mix, which can't compare with a true re-mix but when looked at for what it is, instead of what it isn't, brings much pleasure.

A couple caveats- while I enjoyed the looped images from the album, there was a lot that didn't get shown and they could have shown more of what they did show. And the story- which is essential to understanding the album- should have either been made available on the disc or put into a larger format as mentioned above.

But these are nitpicks. At least I have the LP to appreciate the artwork and access a legible version of the story. But many don't.

I agree that this was Jon's peak, but not just as a solo artist, but in general. Yes stopped being adventurous and taking big risks after Relayer. Still plenty of great music to come, but this time was their peak and this album put the cherry on top for Jon. An incredibly ambitious work that while it shows the genius Jon brought to Yes, as Sully said, was also quite a departure and a work of true passion and vision that was far from what the world of popular music would expect or want.

Jon's version of a creation story beautifully realized. It evokes both outer space and primal existence. I know many berate Jon's mystical side, but I love it- whether he's got the details right or not (and nobody knows those answers), he consistently nails the feelings.

If you're just a twat looking for discrete surround sound jollies, don't get this record.

But if you know this album, or love beautiful melodies, chord changes, timbres, do.

I know this album well...I bought it the week it came out. Saw and heard a bit of it previewed at Roosevelt Stadium in June 1976, during Jon's mesmerizing 'harp solo'.

The 5.1 is an upmix. What mainly happens is you get a vastly greater 'envelopment' as well as occasional trebly elements sounding pseudo-discreetly from the rears.

It works. It does work. It's engaging, and it reveals elements of the mix that you maybe hadn't heard before. It also sound less harsh at loud volumes than the stereo mix.

The negative is, you know what parts would have been distributed to surrounds in a proper remix -- like the burbling intro of 'Olias -- To Build the Moorglade' ; like numerous multitracked vocals -- but aren't. You can tell, and you wish.

But. You do get greater appreciation for this astonishing album.

Jon made his first solo album over months in 1975-6. He was the last to finish. The album came out in the middle of the 1976 tour.
Yes were at their most grand in 1976, pummeling the audience with intricate numbers like 'Sound Chaser', "Gates of Delirium', 'Ritual', 'Siberian Khatru, 'Heart of the Sunrise', lasers , a Roger Dean backdrop, a Yes balloon, and an *animatronic three headed dragon*.

View attachment 65682

I will never forget it!

Side one of Olias features proto-New Age tracks like 'Ocean Song' and 'Qoqaq en Transic' with their Vulcan gongs, harps, Gregorian chant bass, gorgeous cascading synthesizer runs. The center piece is the tribal 'NAON' , which unfolds a bit in the upmix. The side culminates in 'Flight of the Moorglade" a track that arguably proves Jon Anderson to be the singular genius of Yes. It's all there, the gorgeous melody, interesting changes and rhythms, beautiful harmonies. Side Two' s sound world to me always evoked Tolkein. It features 'Moon Ra', something a demented John Lennon might have come up with circa 1967. Again Jon Anderson's (untrained!) manipulation of harmonic tension and release is masterful. The acoustic guitar "Chords" could have used Steve Howe, but 'To The Runner' ends the album with another demonstration of JA's brilliance. Jon sequestered himself for months to make this album virtually alone, and he never produced anything as magnificent again in his solo career.
Thanks for posting this photo. I saw the tour at JFK Stadium in Philly on 6/12/76. I too, will never forget it, but I can't remember much about it. I like having your pic to at least remind me what the stage looked like, so thank you for that! I know I roasted in the afternoon and was freezing my ass off when Yes came on after it got dark. But I'm glad I was there for what I believe was the largest audience Yes ever played for. Still have my ticket stub.

As far as Olias, I had to have this if just for the high resolution stereo mix. This could have been so good with a proper 5.1 treatment. That being said, the 5.1 mix isn't something I won't listen to again. I've heard worse. It was reasonably priced and I always liked this album. This and Fish Out of Water were always my two favorite Yes solo records. Having now listened to it, I'd definitely buy it again.

Back