Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark some more CD'S for the Popular Discography :

Electric Light Orchestra - EARLY YEARS (SQCD)
EMI 7243 5 92808 2 0 (UK) , contains 3 tracks in SQ quad and 5 tracks from Discreet Quad Mixdown . 2 of the SQ encoded tracks are from the "unreleased Quad 2nd album" , the remaining 6 are from the first album.

Electric Light Orchestra - Harvest Years 1970-1973 (SQCD) Harvest SHDW 414 (EMI EUROPE)
contains 3 cds , CD 2 contains one track in SQ Quad from the "unreleased Quad 2nd album" , CD 3 contains the entire First album in quad from the Discreet mixdown - except 2 tracks that are SQ encoded.

Norrie Paramor - 40 Years Of BBC TV Themes (Matrix H CD) Emporio EMPRCD 633 (UK)

-This recording was also available on vinyl LP , released in 1976 on the BBC Record label as ;

Norrie Paramor - 40 Years Of BBC TV Themes , BBC Records REB 238 (Matrix H) , (UK)

Doug Carn - Spirit Of The New Land , Real Gone Music/Black Jazz RGM -1084 (QSCD) , (US)
-a QSCD reissue from the Black Jazz label's 1973 album released in 2020.
I've heard bits and pieces of the Black Jazz releases, and whether they're the encoded ones or not, they're all pretty damn great! If I had any spare dough I'd buy a bunch of them.

I've heard bits and pieces of the Black Jazz releases, and whether they're the encoded ones or not, they're all pretty damn great! If I had any spare dough I'd buy a bunch of them.
I don't have the QS lp to compare , but when played back in Dolby Pro there are definitive rear sounds in each of the back speakers.
I'm pretty convinced she's a QS encode . FWIW there are 5 more on that label.
Edit :They also have some stereo ones.

There was some sort of black jazz comp. that came out a while back, and it was easy to figure out which ones were encoded (or not). Over and above that, those records have a great "vibe" that's really easy to get into.

Mark,

Here's one worth noting as it was a single inventory SQ album on Ariola , but sadly in 1982 they remixed it .
So that would mean it's no longer an SQ album for any rereleased starting in1982.

Eberhard Schoener - Meditation , Kuckuck Records , cassette MC 059 , Germany ...and
also released on the Celestial Harmonies label(1982) in North America.

:(

Attachments

• 20210620_191627.jpg
    20210620_191627.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210620_190701.jpg
    20210620_190701.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 84
Here's 2 SQ cassettes on the Relativity/Zomba label.

Tangerine Dream - Atem SQ cassette , Relativity/Zomba 88561-8071-4 , USA

Tangerine Dream - Zeit SQ cassette , Relativity/Zomba 88561-8070-4 , USA

Both released (reissued) in 1985. Zomba Records is a Division on RCA/BMG .

Attachments

• 20210620_191103.jpg
    20210620_191103.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210620_191324.jpg
    20210620_191324.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210620_191345.jpg
    20210620_191345.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 83
Mark I have a small list of Latino/American Q8'S from the Musart and Peerless labels.

Antonio Aguilar - La Vaz Del Pueblo. Musart , CDM8Q -1620 (USA) Q8
Juan Torres - Organo Melo Dico Vol 9 , Musart , CDM8Q - 1624 (USA) Q8
Los Solitarios - Eres Mi Angel , Peerless , # unknown (P-1718 , stereo #) (USA) Q8
Luca Villa - Mis Conciones Favoritas , Musart , CDM8Q - 1623 , (USA) Q8
Los Graduados - Con Gustavo Quintero , Musart , quad # unknown (stereo # EZM-33047) (USA) Q8
Los Babys - Album De Oro , Peerless , quad #unknown (stereo # P-1749)

A picture of the advertising is found in Billboard Magazine , March 23rd 1974 , page 57 and
March 27th 1976 page 76 (7 Latino Q8'S).
All indicated as stereo and also all available in Q8 .

Last edited:
Additional Quad Q8 Musart titles are listed in BILLBOARD MAGAZINE , August 04 ,73 page 47

Orquestra Del Recuerdo - Arullo Medodico Vol 7 , Musart , quad #unknown (stereo# 949)
Los Aragon - Vuelven , Musart , quad #unknown (stereo# 1541)
Juan Torres - Organo Melodico Vol 16 , Musart , quad# unknown (stereo #1586)
Juan Torres - Organo Melodico Vol 17 , Musart , quad # unknown (stereo # 1610)
Roberto Leo Les Moi , Musart , quad # unknown (stereo #1611)
El Rey Guapachoso , Musart , quad # unknown (stereo # 10328)

All of these titles pictured in the advertisement are stereo but are also all available in Quad 8 track tape.
All Q8 's are on Musart (USA).

Interesting info indeed. I only recall seeing a few of the quad titles, do you have any knowledge of what might have been actually released, that would help to know which discography to post them in?

Interesting info indeed. I only recall seeing a few of the quad titles, do you have any knowledge of what might have been actually released, that would help to know which discography to post them in?

No but the ad states ;
"All of these titles are also available on Quad 8 track"

Actually I gave you reference for 3 different Billboard announcements , so you can check it out.
I'm sure they were exclusive to the Latino communities . There is a big advert in the Florida section for Latino/Cuban expats.

Checking my files I have only seen the two below. The others I can list in the popular discography with a foot note that states something like {listed in music publications but physical copies have not appeared}

JUAN TORRES -Organo Melodico Of. Musart # unknown (Q8)
OLGA GUILLOT -Quien Da Mas...?. Musart Records CDM8-Q14507 (Q8)

Checking my files I have only seen the two below. The others I can list in the popular discography with a foot note that states something like {listed in music publications but physical copies have not appeared}

Yes I noticed those two , both sans Q8 numbers. One title I have spell corrected aas it was listed in the Billboard advertising article .

I managed to get 3 or 4 of the Musart numbers for their Q8's . In one of those Billboard articles they give some Q8 numbers.
The prefix number for the quad is quite simply done , btw , with 1 Musart exception .

For Peerless I have not found any of the Q8 numbers .

No doubt these Q8's were only found in populous Latino target markets. Such as South Florida , Southern Texas and throughout California and I believe I read somewhere in Billboard that Musart had a branch in Mexico .
There is a large multiple page op ed in the 73 article that mentions the Cuban/Latino music studios and distribution.

:cool:

You could ask Capn Krunch . I believe he lived in Puerto Rico , for a time. That Island would be a very Large Latino Target market . It being a Spanish speaking U.S Territory .

You could ask Capn Krunch . I believe he lived in Puerto Rico , for a time. That Island would be a very Large Latino Target market . It being a Spanish speaking U.S Territory .
Yup, lived in PR til I was 21..
Don't know about Juan Torres, a brief search states that he is/was a Mariachi/TexMex musician.
Olga Guillot I met in 1995 in San Juan while recording her. She was a Cuban "boleros" singer who had a quite lovely voice in the beginning of her career and then her voice changed dramatically. I was not aware of that Quad release.

I know there is a very obscure record by another Cuban singer, Lissette. She moved to Perto Rico in the early 60s and was the daughter of Olga y Tony, who were both a popular duo.
I do not know what matrix it is but I do get a laugh from the label info stating it's "Stereo Quadrafonic" so my uneducated guess is that it's SQ,...and oh the humanity of "MANUFACTURADO POR RIO PIEDRAS RECORDS INC, SAN JUAN, P.R.--, that's like having an old cleaning lady in charge of the pressing of the LPs...
here is the fleabay site just in case anyone is interested in adding a very obscure LP to their collection and here are the pics:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

JUAN TORRES -Organo Melodico Of. Musart # unknown (Q8), not sure what volume this is in the pic
JUAN TORRES -Organo Melodico Of. Musart # unknown (Q8).jpg

OLGA GUILLOT -Quien Da Mas CDM8 Q14507 (Q8).jpg

"At Music Mothers Studios , Indianapolis , Michael Henderson and Lone Star are having their latest set mixed for Quadraphonic".
This Lone Star band is the Country music band from the U S . on the T.R.C. music label.

(Billboard April 20th 1974 page 18 )

NOTE :
This Band is Not to be confused with the Rock Band Lonestar , from Britian.

Found one !

Mark , this CD-4 album or Q4 REEL( or both ) was used in the FCC Listening trials .

The Mystic Moods - The Gates Of Love , CD-4 # and Q4 numbers unknown .Warner Bros? or Soundbird Records.

Attached article on the FCC listening tests , Audio Magazine May 78, and lists the quadraphonic REELS and CD-4 , SQ albums used.

20210825_172155.jpg
20210825_172324.jpg

JUAN TORRES -Organo Melodico Of. Musart # unknown (Q8), not sure what volume this is in the pic
View attachment 69228

View attachment 69227

I spy with my little eye :

- the print on the actual Q8 cartridge says : "FIRST WITH LATIN 8 TRACK , CASSETTES , & QUAD TAPES" .

Also I believe that says Musart is located in Hialeah , Florida , P O Box 73 33011 U.S.A.

It's worth noting those 3 Billboard ads run from 1973 -1976 , The Prime Quad release years .

Just thought I'd mention that as those ads have the album pics but not like that actual Q8 with quad 8 sleeve.

Found one !

Mark , this CD-4 album or Q4 REEL( or both ) was used in the FCC Listening trials .

The Mystic Moods - The Gates Of Love , CD-4 # and Q4 numbers unknown .Warner Bros? or Soundbird Records.

Attached article on the FCC listening tests , Audio Magazine May 78, and lists the quadraphonic REELS and CD-4 , SQ albums used.

*View attachment 70539View attachment 70540
The Mystic Moods - The Gates Of Love is a song from the album Awakening

Found one !

*View attachment 70539View attachment 70540

surprised the panel preferred SQ to QS..

Back