RPWL - God Has Failed - Blu Ray 5.1 DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Recorded live in studio (no audience) on the 20th anniversary of their first release. With a heavy Pink Floyd influence, the BD contains lossy 5.1 DTS & DD only. Well recorded with an impressive, discrete mix courtesy of lead vocalist Yogi Lang who I believe has mixed their previous surround projects. Lots of activity in the rears and features the excellent guitar work of Kalle Warner. The camera work is straight forward and unobtrusive. I can’t see myself watching it more than once (unless I want to steal some guitar licks). Surprising that they only included lossy DTS, as their previous Blu Ray, A New Dawn was Dolby Tru HD. If this is a deal breaker for some, so be it - it’s an excellent mix - quite enjoyable and worthy of attention. Don’t be thrown by the live in studio element. If you didn’t see them performing it live, you wouldn’t know that it wasn’t a traditional studio recording. 👍
725EEF18-92DB-4AAA-8972-44BF73B9AE83.jpeg

Recorded live in studio (no audience) on the 20th anniversary of their first release. With a heavy Pink Floyd influence, the BD contains lossy 5.1 DTS & DD only. Well recorded with an impressive, discrete mix courtesy of lead vocalist Yogi Lang who I believe has mixed their previous surround projects. Lots of activity in the rears and features the excellent guitar work of Kalle Warner. The camera work is straight forward and unobtrusive. I can’t see myself watching it more than once (unless I want to steal some guitar licks). Surprising that they only included lossy DTS, as their previous Blu Ray, A New Dawn was Dolby Tru HD. If this is a deal breaker for some, so be it - it’s an excellent mix - quite enjoyable and worthy of attention. Don’t be thrown by the live in studio element. If you didn’t see them performing it live, you wouldn’t know that it wasn’t a traditional studio recording. 👍
View attachment 67025

I do believe this is also available as a DVD - but with 5.1 DD only :unsure:

https://www.gentleartofmusic.com/shop/rpwl-god-has-failed-live-personal-dvd/?lang=en

If you perchance ordered two copies, Mike, you can always gift your distant cousin who lives in Nottingham that extra copy .... I believe he's the Sheriff, there!
We excommunicated that darn, no good Sherriff, years ago.

We swore our allegiance to another distant cousin, Robin of Loxley

As he is a rootin, tootin, RPWL fan.

The DVD is supposed to have dts as well:
View attachment 67030
Maybe - but the description of the DVD from the bands website specifies no DTS - either the artwork is wrong or the description is wrong - neither would surprise me.
Description
November 2020 was supposed to bring a large-scale, multi-week anniversary tour to mark the 20th year since the release of their debut album “God Has Failed,” but of course things turned out differently. So what do you do when you have a perfectly rehearsed band, but the opportunity to perform is pulled out from under your feet? Right, you film a live studio session of the entire album. Format: NTSC, sound in dolby stereo und 5.1 surround (dolby digital). No DTS due to the higher quality of the pictures!

As I said in another thread, this is comparable to the Streaming Concert that performed The Pineapple Thief - Nothing But The Truth.

For me, this RPWL studio video concert has more better visual takes than TPT, and much more bright. Actually they are all surrounded in the studio by big spotlights that sometimes dazzle them and you can see in the face of one of the accompanying chorus girls, who winks, I think because of the light and not because of the efforts to sing.

Very good quality video and music sound. You feel like a real concert, only the applause at the end of each song is missed. Remember me the Pink Floyd at Pompeii without applause :)

Its a pity that the bonus Pink Floyd songs, Cymbaline and Fat Old Sun, that appear on the CD, do not appear in the Blu-ray studio live.

Audio Tracks (music only):
4816, 2.0 PCM
48kHz, 5.1 AC3
4824, 5.1 DTS

As far as I remember (and hope not to mix it up with another disc), it's more or less a 5.0 + LFE (effects). So I turned on my LFE (extension) knob to have a bit more of fun:cool:.

I ordered the Bluray. But what's the difference between it and the DVD? It seems both are DTS and DD with respect to audio. Is the video upgraded on the Bluray?

What is the logic of releasing 2 different formats if both have the same content?

I ordered the Bluray. But what's the difference between it and the DVD? It seems both are DTS and DD with respect to audio. Is the video upgraded on the Bluray?

What is the logic of releasing 2 different formats if both have the same content?

The DVD VIDEO will be low res 480 and the BD~V higher res 1080 and if one has a 4K player, it will upsample both for a 'sharper image.'

Back