Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 science fiction movies that were very good in surround I watched recently

1. Life - DVD
2. War Of The world's - Bluray (Original 1950s version) The picture has been restored and amazing remix of the sound into 5.1 which really works

Relive the TIME OF YOUR LIFE with Lionsgate's Native UHD4K Remaster of DIRTY DANCING [HDR10/Dolby Vision/Remixed in Dolby ATMOS]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dirty-Dancing-4K-Blu-ray/286485/#Review

Dirty Dancing 4K (Blu-ray)

Currently available from Best Buy in a nifty Steelbook Edition

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dirty-...y-only--best-buy-1987/6452853.p?skuId=6452853

ANYONE who has any love/affection for this film should be advised LIONSGATE has done an extraordinary Native UHD4K remaster. In a brief 2021 interview with the film's cinematographer, Jeff Jur in the BONUS features, even he was amazed at the extraordinary UPTICK IN QUALITY.

Even though I'm not equipped with DOLBY ATMOS, I decided to listen to it in that format and the newly remastered soundtrack SOARS from ALL 5.1 channels.

And for $18.99 from Best Buy, the Steelbook edition is fantastic and even comes with a sturdy plastic slipcover embossed with the Dirty Dancing artwork.

In summation, the Lionsgate Native UHD4K remaster comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I indeed did have THE TIME OF MY LIFE!

Last edited:
I usually don't TRASH Native UHD4K titles but I have to admit, Disney who now owns the Star Wars Catalogue did a Piss Poor UHD4K remaster of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. So I am 'striking back' by returning the disc to Amazon for a complete REFUND.

The Image is so dark as to be unwatchable [actually headache inducing]...and this on a perfectly calibrated LG OLED TV utilizing the OPPO 205 as the source player.
71ASNjYGbvL._SL1363_.jpg

I usually don't TRASH Native UHD4K titles but I have to admit, Disney who now owns the Star Wars Catalogue did a Piss Poor UHD4K remaster of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. So I am 'striking back' by returning the disc to Amazon for a complete REFUND.

The Image is so dark as to be unwatchable [actually headache inducing]...and this on a perfectly calibrated LG OLED TV utilizing the OPPO 205 as the source player.
71ASNjYGbvL._SL1363_.jpg
I read that this 4K release was a dud so have avoided - thanks for confirming!

From the 3~D Film Archives in Quadrophonic Sound [remixed into 5.1]

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/91460/dynasty3d.html
A sneak peek in 3D [get out your glasses]

91xFz61jcpL._SL1500_.jpg

Dynasty 3-D [Blu-ray]

FINALLY, watched this recent 3~D Archive RESTORATION of DYNASTY last night and I can report that while NOT PERFECT, is one of the most dazzling uses of 3D I've yet experienced.

While some of the colors have faded, the QUADRAPHONIC soundtrack is always active, front and rear, and admirer's of KUNG FU will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED....some simply DAZZLING set pieces!

The hype 'IN SUPER 3D' on the BD~V's front cover, for once, is NO EXAGGERATION. While the filmic image/sharpness is not as fluid as most modern 3D presentations, those looking for something different, and IMO, exciting, should certainly seek out Kino Lorber/The 3~D archive's latest release.

The 1977 Academy Award Winner for Best Foreign Film finally makes its BD~V debut on May 18th with an astounding performance by Simone Signoret. Will tear at your heartstrings. Highest Recommendation!

81vMEsvnhhL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Underground Railroad on Amazon Prime, directed by Barry Jenkins, adapted from Colson Whitehead's novel. Not easy to watch: it's essentially a horror film in the guise of a historical drama, with shades of surrealism and speculative fiction. And unflinchingly gruesome depictions of racist violence. But it's deeply, chillingly affecting. The negative reviews on Amazon don't get it--they're either trolls with an axe to grind or people who came to it expecting another Harriet Tubman. The acting and writing are killer. And the immersive sound design will win awards.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Underground-Railroad/dp/B08XC2DV8N

Last edited:
Underground Railroad on Amazon Prime, directed by Barry Jenkins, adapted from Colson Whitehead's novel. Not easy to watch: it's a horror film with trappings of historical drama, not to mention heavy inflections of surrealism and speculative fiction. And unflinchingly horrific depictions of racist violence. But it's deeply, chillingly affecting. The negative reviews don't get it--they've either got an axe to grind or they came to it expecting another Harriet Tubman. The acting and writing are killer. And the immersive sound design will win awards.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Underground-Railroad/dp/B08XC2DV8N

Is definitely on my bucket list, humprof. And sometimes what the critics DO GET ..... I DON'T!

I was going to purchase Donnie Darko 4K but read that there are juddering frame rate issues with the 4K Theatrical Version (which is my favourite of the two) in the user reviews on blu-ray.com. Just wanted to see if anyone's purchased/watched it yet and could confirm if these are present/noticeable/annoying/a show-stopper?

I was going to purchase Donnie Darko 4K but read that there are juddering frame rate issues with the 4K Theatrical Version (which is my favourite of the two) in the user reviews on blu-ray.com. Just wanted to see if anyone's purchased/watched it yet and could confirm if these are present/noticeable/annoying/a show-stopper?

I do have the set but haven't watched it yet. I read the same review but the review did specify the 'juddering issue' did NOT manifest itself on the OPPO BD players. When I get time, I'll certainly report back.

Last edited:
Excellent! Interesting quirk if it's player-specific.

I'm too lazy to hook up my SONY X800 player and see if the judder exists so when I do play it via my OPPO 205, I'll see if the judder does occur. Hopefully NOT. Should probably play it soon as I did order it from Amazon and should this disc be defective, I do have a 30 day window to return it for a full refund.

I am VERY HAPPY to report that after watching the entire THEATRICAL CUT of Donnie Darko there were absolutely NO judder issues on my OPPO 205.

A GREAT transfer and I still LOVE .... LOVE this movie.

IMO, for $33 with two cuts in Native UHD 4K [on two separate discs], the copious bonus features and combined with the poster, lobby cards, and hard covered book ...... A MUST PURCHASE!

Last edited:
I am VERY HAPPY to report that after watching the entire THEATRICAL CUT of Donnie Darko there were absolutely NO judder issues on my OPPO 205.

IMO, for $33 with two cuts in Native UHD 4K [on two separate discs], the copious bonus features and combined with the poster, lobby cards, and hard covered book ...... A MUST PURCHASE!
Great to hear, thanks for the review!

Last edited:
Great movie with a lot of heart. This will be my third version of it.

Absolutely, Jeffie. I just pre~ordered the steelbook edition ...... had a gift card and got it for under $16 delivered. Cannot Wait!

A little bit of trivia: Patrick Fugit was also considered for the role of Donnie Darko!

See the source image

Last edited:

Inspired by your post, I watched the Theatrical BD last night. Good times.

You may have received the email from Arrow already but just in case anyone else hasn't, it looks like some of the 4K discs are duds but only some players reveal it and they're doing a reissue campaign: Donnie Darko UHD Replacement Programme Hopefully, they've got everything sorted by June. I'll probably wait until all the duds are out of circulation before I do the 4K update.

Back