Other Labels Quad Output & CD-4, QS & SQ Technical

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think you're right to be cautious fizzy 🙂 after all nobody's perfect, we all make mistakes. one of the most obvious examples i was made aware of was his 'release' of Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin'" which was patently the Stereo run through his SQ process.

Oh that's interesting ? Sorry you encountered such a deception. Hope you didn't pay too much.
He did have some that were quite good. Hopefully the rest are all legit , as the sources are usually easily obtained by quad members with large collections.

i think you're right to be cautious fizzy 🙂 after all nobody's perfect, we all make mistakes. one of the most obvious examples i was made aware of was his 'release' of Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin'" which was patently the Stereo run through his SQ process.
Usally OD was very good at weeding out recordings that wern't actually encoded. I remember a couple of releases that he withderw when he realized that they wern't realy quad. I don't recall Weather Report but I'll have to look to see if I have it. Some copies of the SQ LP are available on Discogs as well.

Remember the fury over "Lucifer's Friend", many here argued with him about it being SQ encoded. OD was right that it wasn't. I had always assumed that it was encoded but had been mixed primarily for stereo reproduction. Who would of guessed?

Last edited:
Usally OD was very good at weeding out recordings that wern't actually encoded. I remember a couple of releases that he withderw when he realized that they wern't realy quad. I don't recall Weather Report but I'll have to look to see if I have it. Some copies of the SQ LP are available on Discogs as well.

Remember the fury over "Lucifer's Freind", many here argued with hinm about it being SQ encoded. OD was right that it wasn't. I had always assumed that it was encoded but had been mixed primaraly for stereo reproduction. Who would of guessed?

That Lucifer's Friend and Frumpy aren't actually from a Q4 quad source . I think we all agree on that .
But with those two I have to agree with Quadtrade.
That they were stereo only but put through an SQ encoder.
Albeit not a very good stereo to SQ synthesis FWIW.
So a poor candidate for conversions.

That Lucifer's Friend and Frumpy aren't actually from a Q4 quad source . I think we all agree on that .
But with those two I have to agree with Quadtrade.
That they were stereo only but put through an SQ encoder.
Albeit not a very good stereo to SQ synthesis FWIW.
So a poor candidate for conversions.
They had been released in Europe years before, before Quad. I do believe the asertion that the American label decided to capitolise on the then quad fad. Only a few years later lables would downplay quad in thier lables! I don't know if they were SQ sythesized either but I would have to listen more to be sure. CD's from Europe are available, you would have to compare them to the american LP to see if they are the same or not.
My point is that I trust that OD would not / did not misrepesent anything that he had realeased, intentionally at least.

Last edited:
Oh I hear ya Ken.
He has done some excellent work with his conversions . I think I'm starting to be repeat myself.
He just can't take any criticism .
I noticed those posts back when he was arguing with quadtrade . I was not a member then , and I wondered why no one came to quadtrade's defence . The Same type of thing happened with Larry Clifton .
After those two incidents , I really questioned joining QQ !
But I did anyway , just a little later on.

Oh I hear ya Ken.
He has done some excellent work with his conversions . I think I'm starting to be repeat myself.
He just can't take any criticism .
I noticed those posts back when he was arguing with quadtrade . I was not a member then , and I wondered why no one came to quadtrade's defence . The Same type of thing happened with Larry Clifton .
After those two incidents , I really questioned joining QQ !
But I did anyway , just a little later on.
Yes he very hard to get along with, I tried! He had the attitude that he was always right, but refused to provide proof of his assertions! BTY he wasn't always right! I don't recall, did Larry have an altercation with him? I would hope that that is not why Larry stopped posting!

Oh that's interesting ? Sorry you encountered such a deception. Hope you didn't pay too much.
He did have some that were quite good. Hopefully the rest are all legit , as the sources are usually easily obtained by quad members with large collections.

he did many good things and is to be commended for seeking to up the ante in terms of decoding.

Remember the fury over "Lucifer's Friend", many here argued with him about it being SQ encoded. OD was right that it wasn't. I had always assumed that it was encoded but had been mixed primarily for stereo reproduction. Who would of guessed?

i don't know Lucifer's Friend at all but was very familiar with that Weather Report SQ LP and was surprised to find his offering was not the Quad. a rare misstep one might suggest but erroneous all the same 🙂

i don't know Lucifer's Friend at all but was very familiar with that Weather Report SQ LP and was surprised to find his offering was not the Quad. a rare misstep one might suggest but erroneous all the same 🙂
Coincidentally listened to the Lucifer's Friend a couple of weeks ago after I don't know how many decades. Great three channel mix - that is, LF, CF, RF. Rears are asleep pretty much the whole time.

Yes he very hard to get along with, I tried! He had the attitude that he was always right, but refused to provide proof of his assertions! BTY he wasn't always right! I don't recall, did Larry have an altercation with him? I would hope that that is not why Larry stopped posting!

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I had a lot of things to do today. Lots of running around , banking , etc.
And still have one pressing big fn problem (with my device fwiw).

Anyway I'm not certain who it was that was crapping on Larry. But it was more than one and it was over his listings.
And yes I believe it was at that time he stopped posting.

What is "his SQ process"?

Ken , it may be legit , but I think more source accuracy would be required. Especially considering what can be done with a good discreet upmix nowadays. Everyone on QQ knows this quad album was withheld by ABC Records.
I have lot's of his conversions , and they are very good , some excellent. But this one , well , I just find somewhat questionable.
Everyone makes mistakes , including me, but he would be the last one on QQ to admit his errors. My dealings with him on his former site confirm this.
FWIW It does sound pretty good .

What is a discreet upmix? Do they run it through a PC filter?

What is a discreet upmix? Do they run it through a PC filter?

i didn't think there was such a thing as a truly discrete upmix tbh but advances are being made all the time with 'SPEC' type software and things like Penteo etc and there's upmixes being shared out there that give quite an impressive sensation of surround

i didn't think there was such a thing as a truly discrete upmix tbh but advances are being made all the time with 'SPEC' type software and things like Penteo etc and there's upmixes being shared out there that give quite an impressive sensation of surround
Imagine if the same process that's used to create realistic stereo from mono, the DES process, could be applied to stereo to create quad! It could be done.

Coincidentally listened to the Lucifer's Friend a couple of weeks ago after I don't know how many decades. Great three channel mix - that is, LF, CF, RF. Rears are asleep pretty much the whole time.
Yes, that sounds like regular stereo played via SQ. I always loved the LP but never thought much about the mix, it likely would be better played via QS.

What is "his SQ process"?
His process was script decoding via Adobe Audition, he shared his early efforts (script) with us here but when he became upset with some people here he withdrew them. He refined his process more and more but became very secretive about it. Oddly he shared his conversions but not his process.

Back