"Best of Doors" 4.0 Surround SACD from Audio Fidelity (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fizzy! :upthumb
(I must've confused SH with JU somehow!? :yikes :eek: :violin :slap: )
No actually you were to a large degree correct.

Besides the vault tour error, I read one of the posts on SH forum, actually state "ROTHCHILD'S QUAD MIXES" so erroneous info can actually go on repeating unless someone steps in to correct this.
Goodness knows I've screwed up with misinformation, well were only human after all.

Thus far I’ve not been able to part with the AF 4.0 series extras with the exception of The Best of The Doors which I think the BkuRay issue improves upon. I got $50 for my Doors 4.0 AF and felt good about it.

Here it's a trade-off. Best of the Doors on BluRay has more tracks but Best of the Doors from Audio Fidelity, as mastered by the two Steves (Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh) offers better sound quality. :)

Here it's a trade-off. Best of the Doors on BluRay has more tracks but Best of the Doors from Audio Fidelity, as mastered by the two Steves (Steve Hoffman and Stephen Marsh) offers better sound quality. :)
The sound quality is a matter of opinion. I find the SACD (as many other do as well), to be too dark and muffled sounding. As if a second generation copy tape was used for the mastering, which has been claimed by some. But no official persons will confirm or deny. I followed that trail.

I am under the impression that both sets feature the same number of songs featured in 4.0 or quad if you prefer.

The sound quality is a matter of opinion. I find the SACD (as many other do as well), to be too dark and muffled sounding. As if a second generation copy tape was used for the mastering, which has been claimed by some.

My understanding is that the tape from Warner was likely a first generation tape, if not the master itself.
On my system it sounds much better than the Blu Ray. But, as you say, it's always a question of your system and preferences. :)

My understanding is that the tape from Warner was likely a first generation tape, if not the master itself.
On my system it sounds much better than the Blu Ray. But, as you say, it's always a question of your system and preferences. :)
And my understanding is that the BR used the “master” itself.

And my understanding is that the BR used the “master” itself.

There's always a question as to whether the master or a first generation copy of the master was used in remastered releases.

Warner's request that the Doors tape for the Audio Fidelity Surround SACD transfer indicates the two Steves were using either a first generatioin transfer or the master itself. Which helps explain why it sounds so good. :)

Foraging Rhino told me that the Rhino BluRay was mastered from the original reels, something they did not give to AF. When I mentioned that to Marshall in an email, he kinda got flustered and disagreed.

Who the hell knows? :) Just listen and pick which one you like best. At least we have a choice!

Foraging Rhino told me that the Rhino BluRay was mastered from the original reels, something they did not give to AF. When I mentioned that to Marshall in an email, he kinda got flustered and disagreed.

Indeed who knows. :)

Who the hell knows? :) Just listen and pick which one you like best. At least we have a choice!
I have them both...and intend to keep them both. :)

Splitting hairs between this blu-ray and SACD is like splitting hairs between the Sea Change versions. What a waste of time. Just enjoy the damn thing. Man they sound great.

Splitting hairs between this blu-ray and SACD is like splitting hairs between the Sea Change versions. What a waste of time. Just enjoy the damn thing. Man they sound great.

Usually I'd agree, but in this case (unlike Sea Change, where the options are DSD (SACD) or PCM transcoded from DSD (DVD-A, Blu-Ray) with a negligible difference in sound quality) there are two different source tapes at play and two very different mastering approaches.

Put me firmly in the camp who prefers the Blu-Ray version. Before I got it, I saw some waveforms illustrating the differences between the two versions and when I saw that the Blu-Ray had considerably more bass and treble I kinda winced and thought "great, another super-hyped smiley-face EQ modern mastering" but it turns out it's not the case at all. I guess it's no surprise that Bruce Botnick (who mastered the Blu-Ray) has an ear for this music given that he engineered the original recordings (and the quad mix) but the added extension in the bottom and top end is a very welcome addition, and far more judicious than any waveform or frequency plot would indicate - there are no sizzling hi-hats or thumping sub-bass to be had, just enough "juice" to make these old tired recordings sound exciting again, for me anyway.

I really hope that if Rhino do any more quad on Blu-Ray, that they might consider using Botnick as a mastering engineer over Craig Anderson - I love everything about the Chicago Quadio box except for his mastering.

Usually I'd agree, but in this case (unlike Sea Change, where the options are DSD (SACD) or PCM transcoded from DSD (DVD-A, Blu-Ray) with a negligible difference in sound quality) there are two different source tapes at play and two very different mastering approaches.

Put me firmly in the camp who prefers the Blu-Ray version. Before I got it, I saw some waveforms illustrating the differences between the two versions and when I saw that the Blu-Ray had considerably more bass and treble I kinda winced and thought "great, another super-hyped smiley-face EQ modern mastering" but it turns out it's not the case at all. I guess it's no surprise that Bruce Botnick (who mastered the Blu-Ray) has an ear for this music given that he engineered the original recordings (and the quad mix) but the added extension in the bottom and top end is a very welcome addition, and far more judicious than any waveform or frequency plot would indicate - there are no sizzling hi-hats or thumping sub-bass to be had, just enough "juice" to make these old tired recordings sound exciting again, for me anyway.

I really hope that if Rhino do any more quad on Blu-Ray, that they might consider using Botnick as a mastering engineer over Craig Anderson - I love everything about the Chicago Quadio box except for his mastering.
Excellent analysis. I’ll join the Blu-Ray team. A stronger mastering and better clarity to my ears.

The Quad Doors Singles was a demonstration for executives to get them to work on the catalog. It is so much better than Perception which is a great 3 channel mix in the front. I just bought it for $16.50 on Amazon
IMG_4620.JPG.IMG_4619.JPGIMG_4621.JPG

I didn't know this blu-ray existed until seeing it here. I have the AF SACD and also all the Analogue Production SACDs. Was anyone able to compare the blu-ray and the Analogue Production releases? The liner notes say the mixes are from the Perception set, which I'm not familiar with. Sounds to me like there's more than one multi-channel mix of the Door's albums, which I didn't realize. This singles release seems like a no brainer for the price. I thought blu-ray discs were supposed to be so expensive to produce. :confused:

I didn't know this blu-ray existed until seeing it here. I have the AF SACD and also all the Analogue Production SACDs. Was anyone able to compare the blu-ray and the Analogue Production releases? The liner notes say the mixes are from the Perception set, which I'm not familiar with. Sounds to me like there's more than one multi-channel mix of the Door's albums, which I didn't realize. This singles release seems like a no brainer for the price. I thought blu-ray discs were supposed to be so expensive to produce. :confused:

Most like the Blu-Ray mastering a bit better.

The mixes are the original quadraphonic (both the SACD and the Blu-Ray) and not the 5.1 mixes from the Perception Box.

Most like the 5.1 mixes from the Perception set. The first album mix is tame (only 4 tracks to work with) but they get better from there. LA Woman had a standalone release before the box and I believe is the same mix.

Back