HiRez Poll Marillion - WITH FRIENDS FROM THE ORCHESTRA (AT ST. DAVID'S) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Marillion - WITH FRIENDS FROM THE ORCHESTRA (AT ST. DAVID'S)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 Blu-Ray release from British Progressive Rock band Marillion.

This new title includes a full length concert film recorded live at St. David's Hall in Cardiff on Disc 1 and the full "With Friends from the Orchestra" studio album mixed in 5.1 surround on Disc 2.
This new title can be ordered directly from the band's webstore: With Friends At St David's

(y) :) (n)

2321.jpg

2321.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed this release; the concert is excellent visually, and the audio well produced but with minimal use of the surrounds, which is a shame as it could have done with a bit more separation of the band and the strings/brass to let the music breathe a little. However this is redeemed by the mix of the studio album, which has much more surround activity.

It’s interesting that Michael Hunter mixed the live songs differently from their studio versions, maybe he went along the lines of a live concert being in front of you, and then a feeling of being more surrounded by the musicians in the studio version. The band co-produced the studio mix so maybe their input explains the different approach. I enjoyed both equally, for different reasons, so for me the combination overall works well . There are visuals accompanying the studio album, a mix of studio footage, stills, and animations as used in the background in the concert, and there is also a behind the scenes documentary.

Highly recommended.

It looks like the ear music label is expanding the release of this title for late July 2021. Here is the link for Amazon US / Blu-ray.
Eliminating the currency conversion & global shipping makes this much more appealing to me at $21.00 plus I have Prime.
Hate to not buy from the band directly but this is a fringe purchase for me anyway.

Cool, thanks!

Just got this and although I’m underwhelmed by Hunter’s surround mix for both the live and studio sessions, I’m highly impressed by the material, the performances, and the overall fidelity. Picture quality for the live performance is also excellent.

Although I’m glad to have added this to my collection and look forward to revisiting it many times in the future, I really wish Mr. Hunter wasn’t so conservative with the surround sound field.

Going with a strong 8 for now.

Just got this and although I’m underwhelmed by Hunter’s surround mix for both the live and studio sessions, I’m highly impressed by the material, the performances, and the overall fidelity. Picture quality for the live performance is also excellent.

Although I’m glad to have added this to my collection and look forward to revisiting it many times in the future, I really wish Mr. Hunter wasn’t so conservative with the surround sound field.

Going with a strong 8 for now.

I love how much the quartet are clearly enjoying themselves!

Can anyone in North America who has a copy confirm that the concert disc is region A? I'm buying through Amazon.ca (via ImportCDs) and it lists as region B. Certainly wouldn't be the first time Amazon got the description wrong.:unsure:

I wish there was a way to release a public service announcement (PSA) about Amazon's listings. They chronically list blu-rays as Region B, regardless of the actual region. Even Blu-ray Audio, which is supposed to be region free. It's a very frequent question, here and elsewhere.

I wish there was a way to release a public service announcement (PSA) about Amazon's listings. They chronically list blu-rays as Region B, regardless of the actual region. Even Blu-ray Audio, which is supposed to be region free. It's a very frequent question, here and elsewhere.

That's what happens when a company is run by machines. And when you want to contact the customer service about some info on a product they have not more info than you do because the product is in a warehouse somewhere...

Do Region Codes apply to Blu Ray's?
That said, mine has the ABC code on the packaging as shown in the pics in Post #1
Every blu ray audio I've seen is region free, but where this has a live performance I wasn't sure. Pretty common with Amazon, they don't seem to care or have the will to make their descriptions accurate, which leaves the work to us.

Reactions: PK
9. Musically this could be a little more up my alley.
But in every other sense I think it's good or great.

I must receive a corrected blu-ray because the live version of Marillion with friends and orchestra sounds more than ambiance to me after adjusting my dB level to +8. There's plenty of guitar, bass and drums in the rears.

I have just watched the first song of the album in the studio and there is a big difference between the DTS with the live version. Here we can hear the orchestra and it's really cool to see the band and orchestra in the studio in black and white.(y)

Back