Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you got it done in 6 hours? Usually I can't get it tender until I hit the 10 hour'ish mark. Give or take.

It was a smaller cut of meat at 5 pounds. Temps were consistent at 250 degrees.

Might have been closer to seven hours but certainly no more. I had read to expect about 1.5 hours per pound. So it caught me by surprise too as it was done well before the planned 5oclock supper hour.

I let it rest, covered, in a cooler for two hours which worked out just fine.

I've gone back to basics. Purchased this grill today....pick it up tomorrow. Saturday and gonna smoke a pork butt.

1619747413122.png

I've gone back to basics. Purchased this grill today....pick it up tomorrow. Saturday and gonna smoke a pork butt.

View attachment 66637

That model is a trusted old friend from back in the day and works great at cooking just about anything. Not too big, not too small. Even a turkey can be cooked. The price has gone way up though from what I remember. Oh well, nothing stays the same. But these last forever if treated right.

Nope not gonna do it!
Maybe Gene will, he’ll try anything -twice.

Just glad they aren’t in the West; you guys on the east side may have trouble hearing your surround from all the din once these little devils emerge.

https://www.popsci.com/diy/cicada-cooking-guide/
and don’t forget the brew when you’re munching the critters-
1620836405323.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 66637

I thought you had customized modified super grill? Does this replace that? I have a similar model but sure don't see how it would be good for smoking:

WEBER GRILL_.jpg

Mine is about 8 yo & seems to be discontinued. I much prefer charcoal to propane, but this has a gas starter which is best of both. As I remember this grill was less expensive than the simple Weber when I got it. Family get together is 6 adults & 4 kids & I admit I bought an el cheapo additional grill to keep up with my wife who thinks an infinite amount of meat fits on a 22" circle.

I thought you had customized modified super grill? Does this replace that? I have a similar model but sure don't see how it would be good for smoking:

View attachment 67038

Mine is about 8 yo & seems to be discontinued. I much prefer charcoal to propane, but this has a gas starter which is best of both. As I remember this grill was less expensive than the simple Weber when I got it. Family get together is 6 adults & 4 kids & I admit I bought an el cheapo additional grill to keep up with my wife who thinks an infinite amount of meat fits on a 22" circle.
Sort of yes, replacing my other smoker. Yes, I'm using this new Weber for smoking. Works great. The pork butt turned out ever bit as good as my previous smoker.

I smoked my very first brisket.....yep, on my Weber Kettle. I simply knocked it out of the park. It turned out so freaking tender and juicy....I was stunned.
As someone who has a simliar Weber grill, I still don't grok how you maintain even cooking temps for extended period of time. A layer of coals don't last that long and the grill with the food must be removed to re-stock the coals. As J. Pup says, details please.

we needs details?
First, it was only 4 pounds. I figured, if I ruin it, I didn't spend much money on it. I had applied a rub the night before of Kosher Salt and simple cracked pepper. I layed it on pretty thick. It had a significant fat cap, so I trimmed it down to about 1/4 inch. Obviously, indirect heat. Slapped it on fat side up. Ran it for about 4 hours, stuck probe in and it was internal temp of 175. I knew it was still super tough at this point. But it looked amazing. I wrapped it in parchment paper, put it back on and let it go another 2 hours I suppose. Let it rest for 15 minutes, sliced it in thin 1/4 inch slices....and...... damn. Simply perfect in every way. The flavor was off the charts, and I could easily cut it with just a fork. Killer....

As someone who has a simliar Weber grill, I still don't grok how you maintain even cooking temps for extended period of time. A layer of coals don't last that long and the grill with the food must be removed to re-stock the coals. As J. Pup says, details please.
It's hard. Honestly, many times, I cannot maintain a constant temp. Yesterday, it literally seemed to sit on 280 for 3 straight hours. I used to worry a lot about temps, now I just worry about keeping it from getting too hot. If I can do that, it's a win.

Also Sonic, my Weber came with a grill grate that is on hinges. You simply flip the hinged part that is over the coals, toss in more coals and keep it going. The other half of the grill never gets bothered (removed)
Mine is like that also. I never figured out what the use of a hinged grill was for. Now I know!

Order placed! Looks like it's gonna be my Fathers Day present. The only experience I've had with brisket is eating it. I might start with something simpler.
Tri-tips are the thing out here in the west- aka “poor man's brisket”; it's about time to grill one 😋
or

Last edited:
Back