What's your latest earworm???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brave Belt - Dunrobin's Gone. This song is from Brave Belt II, the second and final album from the group, with this song being the biggest hit (in Canada anyway) from either album. When shopping around for a new label with their Brave Belt III album, they were encouraged by Mercury to change their name and became Bachman-Turner Overdrive. So with a bit of editing, Brave Belt III became the original BTO album that a lot of us have now on SACD from D-V.

These guys don't sound any different than they did 40 years ago! This is what happens when you live a healthy life and take care of your voice. Great tune.

"Fresh Garbage" ever since I watched some old Spirit and Randy California youtube recently.
Did you know:
California is not Randy's real last name; it was suggested to him by Hendrix, who he used to play with in clubs in (I think) NY when he was FIFTEEN!
When Hendrix split for the UK Randy's parents said no way not at 15 uh uh.
So when Randy was 16 he formed Spirit.
Randy was basically a guitar prodigy who started at age 6. His parents often let traveling musicians stay over and Randy learned from watching some of the best.
OK not ALL fun facts but something..... fresh............ garbage. look beneath your lips each morning, see those things you didn't quite consume....your fresh garbage.....

Yes this is a rather sweet little Indie-pop earworm...but the reason I'm posting it is the "borrowed" bassline in parts of this is quite recognizable (for that matter so are the early piano clangs and even end guitar solo is very Queen-like). Anybody agree with me that this band better hope John Fogerty is in a good mood...cause this song's overall melody sounds a whole lot like "Have You Ever Seen The Rain"?

Randy C(raig) Wolfe Trust currently owns the rights to all the later Spirit recordings.

He did play guitar with Hendrix' band, Jimmy James & the Blue Flames. The two met in Manny's Music, a Manhattan guitar store. Hendrix penned the name "Randy California," to differentiate Wolfe from the other Randy in his band, bassist "Randy Texas." (Palmer)

Not long before Wolfe passed in the 90's, I met Wolfe and Ed Casssidy, his stepfather, the bald drummer in Spirit. Cass passed in the last few years.

Spirit would rank in my top 5 favorite musical acts. Wolfe is in my 5 favorite rock guitarists. Hendrix is my all-time fave rock guitarist. Jeff Beck, Michael Bloomfield & Eric Clapton round out my top 5.

"Fresh Garbage" ever since I watched some old Spirit and Randy California youtube recently.
Did you know:
California is not Randy's real last name; it was suggested to him by Hendrix, who he used to play with in clubs in (I think) NY when he was FIFTEEN!
When Hendrix split for the UK Randy's parents said no way not at 15 uh uh.
So when Randy was 16 he formed Spirit.
Randy was basically a guitar prodigy who started at age 6. His parents often let traveling musicians stay over and Randy learned from watching some of the best.
OK not ALL fun facts but something..... fresh............ garbage. look beneath your lips each morning, see those things you didn't quite consume....your fresh garbage.....

Randy C(raig) Wolfe Trust currently owns the rights to all the later Spirit recordings.

He did play guitar with Hendrix' band, Jimmy James & the Blue Flames. The two met in Manny's Music, a Manhattan guitar store. Hendrix penned the name "Randy California," to differentiate Wolfe from the other Randy in his band, bassist "Randy Texas." (Palmer)

Not long before Wolfe passed in the 90's, I met Wolfe and Ed Casssidy, his stepfather, the bald drummer in Spirit. Cass passed in the last few years.

Spirit would rank in my top 5 favorite musical acts. Wolfe is in my 5 favorite rock guitarists. Hendrix is my all-time fave rock guitarist. Jeff Beck, Michael Bloomfield & Eric Clapton round out my top 5.
Thanks for the addendum, Linda. I always appreciate your remembrances of music related things past to help fill in my lost brain cells. :) I became a bigger fan when a friend popped in the 8 track of "Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus" during a get-together one weekend to celebrate Owsley Stanley's products. :whistle: There was also the version of Spirit with the Stahler brothers, and when CD's came along years later a CD was released that basically mirrored the set list at a concert friends attended, as was related to me years later, and it is called Feedback. The CD is brickwalled something fierce and so was a letdown but I think I 'll dig it out and have a fresh listen. Randy and Ed came to the Tampa Jams under the Spirit name....I think I may have the LP from their appearance somewhere....
I could prattle on all day but probably a lot is pretty hazy now from the years. My remembrances are usually out of order time wise. Man the early 70's so much was going on, music was great, however I was drafted but I made the best of it and came home all grown up, but hell AFN played some OK tunes at times and I had a friend from Cali who must have had in his collection every rock LP ever made and had it shipped to him and that broadened my music exposure. Quad was a new thing and I was hooked and spent a small fortune (on military pay) on electronics.

The Twelve Dreams of the Doctor was the first album I heard when I was in Junior High. I was making some extra money by cutting grass in the Summer, when I lived in Lombard, IL. The guy, whose grass I was cutting, was spinning a few records for me and that’s when I heard it and said, who is this band?! This music is freaking fantastic! I was already familiar with I Got A Line On You but had no idea which band did it. Love that song too but the only album I ever purchased by Spirit was Twelve Dreams.

Of course, in 1984 I purchased my second Spirit album on vinyl, Spirit Of 1984, where they re-recorded, I Got A Line On You. Somewhere in the 2000’s, I did hear a couple of their albums. I don’t remember which ones but one of them had the song, Fresh Garbage.

Back