Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being a Pink Floyd fan is like being a Collingwood supporter for those in Australia who will understand my meaning. 🇦🇺😢😢

I'm living in fear now when I check this thread daily. Today's email said 44 new posts since yesterday, and I'm afraid one of them is going to report a headline like:

"Gilmour cancels Animals reissue after Waters rant"

I'm hoping that whatever agreement Waters and Gilmour came to about the liner notes, it didn't preclude Waters posting them as he did, which could promote a backlash from Gilmour (like withdrawing the release). No news from Gilmour about what Waters said is good news (unless he's consulting his lawyers).

Apologies to anyone with a weak heart who may have read my "headline" out of context (which is why I went for quotation marks, rather than a big, bold font - though I couldn't resist the separate line :p).

Forget about the surround remix. Forget about the spat.

The most important thing is: Will there be a mini inflatable pig in the box?

I find the marbles as ludicrous as anybody else, but I must admit an inflatable pig might actually make me smile! (And a popup of Battersea Power Station.) 😄 🐖
Or, maybe a battery powered box lid that barks or oinks when you open it.

Forget about the surround remix. Forget about the spat.

The most important thing is: Will there be a mini inflatable pig in the box?

I find the marbles as ludicrous as anybody else, but I must admit an inflatable pig might actually make me smile! (And a popup of Battersea Power Station.) 😄 🐖
A concert size pig with a CO2 cartridge to inflate it. Compacted to fit in the box with a little warning sticker that says "Do not inflate indoors!"

Are there SACD/surround mixes of Meddle and Atom Heart Mother?

not SACD but yes ... on a Bluray of the first pressing of The Early Years box set the Roger-rejected 5.1 mix of Meddle remained in the disc data and can be ripped and played, and the original quadraphonic mix of AHM (as well as a quad mix of Echoes) is on that box set as well as the standalone discs.

Are there SACD/surround mixes of Meddle and Atom Heart Mother?
They are both released in PCM digital on bluray. Both as part of the Early Years set. No stand alone of either. Meddle is further only available on the first complete box edition as an "easter egg". Maybe you have a friend that can convert PCM to DSD and burn an SACD for you? There would be a few folks setup for that around here who could help you convert your bluray you purchased. :D

Thank you for the info...I guess I assumed that all our favorite progressive bands would release things in surround in an orderly manner, like the King Crimson and Jethro Tull stuff has been released. I admit to being totally confused by how the Pink Floyd and ELP releases are being managed in this regard.

Alright, moving away from gossiping and entering into speculation territory: my bet is complete silence until July and then the announcement happening for a September/October release. That if we're not published by David releasing Pulse on Blu-ray and pushing Animals forward to 2022...

Thank you for the info...I guess I assumed that all our favorite progressive bands would release things in surround in an orderly manner, like the King Crimson and Jethro Tull stuff has been released. I admit to being totally confused by how the Pink Floyd and ELP releases are being managed in this regard.
I would have never guessed the landscape would end up looking like it does today! Floyd were the audiophile band and their releases were always head and shoulders above everyone else. And they were the surround sound band as well! Everything has flipped. Crimson, Tull, etc have their original masters in 24 bit HD flat transfers and new surround mixes for most of their catalog now. Floyd albums are long out of print in any kind of fidelity for many of the stereo albums and the surround catalog is almost novelty compared to others now.

Different disciplines in a big organization I suppose? There are going to be marketing people and other jobs that have nothing to do with audio. Apparently it's always a risk of one of these types ending up allowed to make a quality control decision? It sure seems like there's always someone around to botch a release in a significant way unless the album is new and current and the musicians themselves muscle their way through the whole thing!

It sure as hell isn't the talent! AJ had his name all over that Early years set and the mistakes are in no way shape or form his! It's just not possible that those mastering mistakes come from the same hand that can create these level of mixes. And all of Dave's recent solo albums have a pretty perfect technical delivery. (I wish I was more of a fan!) Absolutely no hint of any of these glaring mistakes that tarnish the recent Floyd releases. (Actually that recent Up The River release sounded like a technically perfect delivery for audio too IMHO. Again, wish I was more of a fan!)

I really wonder what the heck happened with the 2012 catalog reissue that stopped cold after just DSOTM and WYWH. Yes, they releases the CD versions but not any of the HD or surround. They clearly had things getting prepared initially. They would have been nearly first on the block and Crimson's somewhat flawed first round would have been a solid 2nd place. The Wall got the planned box but sans any HD or surround and then everyone got real quiet.

Back