SQ calibration cassette

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
That's a total weirdo:

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-T...eo-E-Quadrifonici-Sistemi-Sq/release/18997348
(translation: Control Test for HIFI Stereo and Quadraphonic Sets - SQ system).

Weirdness factors:
1) cassette tape
2) country of release, Italy
3) date of release: March 1978.
4) label: RiFi records, which had NO quad releases by itself and the only SQ stuff were classic titles licensed from Czech republic.

On March 78 in Italy there was NO quad whatsoever, the only SQ stuff were more-or-less hidden Angel or Supraphon classic releases.

I can't think a reason for the existence of that tape on that time and place.... you?

That's a total weirdo:

https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-T...eo-E-Quadrifonici-Sistemi-Sq/release/18997348

Weirdness factors:
1) cassette tape
4) label: RiFi records, which had NO quad releases by itself and the only SQ stuff were classic titles licensed from Czech republic.

On March 78 in Italy there was NO quad whatsoever, the only SQ stuff were more-or-less hidden Angel or Supraphon classic releases.

I can't think a reason for the existence of that tape on that time and place.... you?
Possibilities:

- the Prosciutto had gone bad
- had mistakenly eaten psilocybin’s instead of Truffles (damned Trotters got it wrong again!)
- were a huge Fellini fan and watched “Tre passi nel delirio” one too many times
- the wrong wild hair up their bum

That's a total weirdo:

Weirdness factors:
1) cassette tape

Odd to see such a thing in cassette form, but not the only alignment tape made for optimising SQ performance of a tape machine. Phase response and azimuth accuracy were critical to reliable matrix playback. Columbia produced this reel to reel for radio stations for example-

sq tape.jpg

Odd to see such a thing in cassette form, but not the only alignment tape made for optimising SQ performance of a tape machine. Phase response and azimuth accuracy were critical to reliable matrix playback. Columbia produced this reel to reel for radio stations for example-

View attachment 67699

Using a tape like that would also ensure best possible reproduction of stereo content at the radio station.

Early shipments of the Fosgate Tate 101A also included a SQ cassette set up tape. Not sure of the exact content but when I ordered mine I did not get one.

Thanks. It does made some sense now.... WAITAMINUTE:

on the side 2 of the Tate cassette there are, among the stereo tracks, the Santa Esmeralda "Don't let me be misunderstood". Did someone tried how it does decode in surround????????

Thanks. It does made some sense now.... WAITAMINUTE:

on the side 2 of the Tate cassette there are, among the stereo tracks, the Santa Esmeralda "Don't let me be misunderstood". Did someone tried how it does decode in surround????????

FWIW Those stereo tracks are recommended for decoding in SQ via the Fosgate Tate II and they all sound pretty good .
Another type of SQ Decoder should also provide satisfactory results.

Wow, some pretty obscure stuff. Interesting info fizzywigs!

Your welcome SSE .

No offence @winopener :)
But Because these posts and Thread are in reference to SQ matrix , I would hope the "Moderator" moves these posts into the matrix section of legacy quad systems.
I find it confusing myself and it would be particularly out of place for someone who is a new member and might want to find this thread in the appropriate section. Not in the (Q4 , Q8 ) TAPES section.

Back