Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tested with headphones as well with iphone + airpods pro. Experience seems to vary a bit from track to track. In most of the tracks atmos brings more spacious sound and better separation to tracks but in some it sounds bit more artificial and I preferred more the stereo version. This is depending on the Atmos mix. So ones that sound good with speakers, sound better with headphones and vice versa. Very little actual surround effect and no head tracking (what is there in spatial audio when watching video contents). Overall still positive experience even though doesn't come close to listening with with speakers.

Last edited:
IT’S TRUE and NO volume issues! Wow oh wow!
A329EC66-38AA-413C-8760-CE6D1C1E3EBF.gif

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tested with headphones as well with iphone + airpods pro. Experience seems to vary a bit from track to track. In most of the tracks atmos brings more spacious sound and better separation to tracks but in some it sounds bit more artificial and I preferred more the stereo version. Very little actual surround effect and no head tracking (what is there in spatial audio when watching video contents). Overall still positive experience even though doesn't come close to listening with with speakers.

I had the same results. No head tracking or "surround," but something more akin to an old SRS Wow effect. I am disappointed, so far, at least on iOS and macOS. I'll check later to see if real multichannel lights up in the living room on the latest aTV and Onkyo receiver.

[Update: On AppleTV, there seems to be true multichannel, with some background vocals and ambience going to the rears when the Marvin Gaye Mono-to-Stereo-to-Spatial demo gets to spatial.]

[Update 2: No head tracking until fall, per this: About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music]

I have Lossless turned on and Atmos set to Always on all platforms.

(Also, "spatial audio" is working with the Apple TV app on the iPhone and iPad with head tracking, so that seems set up correctly. On the Mac, I do get real 5.1 from the Apple "TV" app playing movies. Everything in my systems is working for surround/spatial with other sources. Atmos on Music just seems to not be reproduced in multichannel.)

Last edited:
Tested with headphones as well with iphone + airpods pro. Experience seems to vary a bit from track to track. In most of the tracks atmos brings more spacious sound and better separation to tracks but in some it sounds bit more artificial and I preferred more the stereo version. Very little actual surround effect and no head tracking (what is there in spatial audio when watching video contents). Overall still positive experience even though doesn't come close to listening with with speakers.
Found this one:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/08/apple-music-dynamic-head-tracking-fall/
So seems that the head tracking might be coming still later. Although how they will implement is is a big question mark..

Does FireTV 4K (which supports Apple Music) support this new spatial audio (Atmos) playback? If so, gives me a reason not to buy an Apple TV box.
My understanding is you will need the Apple TV 4K, it won't work on the FireTV (not yet anyway). I am not yet an Apple Music subscriber so unfortunately cannot test mine.

Anyone try “downloading” Atmos content from Apple Music?

How can I get a Dolby Atmos version of a song that I already downloaded to my library?
To get a Dolby Atmos version of a song that you already downloaded from Apple Music, just delete the song and redownload it from the Apple Music catalog.
Make sure that you turn on "Download in Dolby Atmos" in Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Here’s how:
  • On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Music, and turn on Download in Dolby Atmos.
  • On your Mac, open the Apple Music app. In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences. Click the General tab, then select Download in Dolby Atmos.

It’s a much better experience for sure although I am noticing some good Atmos stuff missing. Like just a few examples…

Kool & The Gang - Celebration
Elton John - Rocket Man
Imagine Dragons - Believer
Donna Summer - Bad Girls
Limp Bizkit - Re-Arranged
The Supremes - Baby Love

Maybe that’s just an upload thing? It’s only just gone live to be honest. Or maybe I selected the wrong song? 🤔

Last edited:
Has anyone actually been able to look under the hood and see whether Apple is indeed streaming Atmos tracks at a higher bitrate than Tidal?
This may or may not be helpful if you have an Apple TV device

From what I hear this will reveal the Apple Music Atmos is the same 768 kbit/s EC-3 JOC as Tidal and that Apple TV 4K decodes the objects from the Dolby Digital Plus JOC file to mix it with system sounds and transfer it as PCM/Dolby Atmos aka Dolby Metadata Audio Transfer or MAT

Last edited:
Back