Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree about Godbluff, and if anyone's interested, here it is live :rocks

Thanks for posting this. I just found the DVD at Discogs with the 5.1 mix. Don't get too excited. It sounds like a stereo enhanced mix at best, but I haven't gotten it all ripped yet, so...

Good news for most of you I suspect is this:

There are also remixes of the albums H to He Who Am the Only One, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life. These have been stunningly remixed from the original multi-track tapes in both Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound by Stephen W Tayler. These 4 albums will also be made available separately as 3-disc Sets, including Original Stereo Mixes.

Last edited:
Got the box link now, £142.99:

https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/*/The-Charisma-Years/70JW0000000
1623323325424.png

uDiscover huh..... oh boy. I'll have to think how I want to order these. Buy the "stand-alones", or the box. I didn't do the math....to see which is cheaper. (knowing I only want the 5.1 mixes...not the CD's, etc)

uDiscover huh..... oh boy. I'll have to think how I want to order these. Buy the "stand-alones", or the box. I didn't do the math....to see which is cheaper. (knowing I only want the 5.1 mixes...not the CD's, etc)
In the UK, at Burning Shed its £120 for the box (plus p&p), and £17.49 for each set individually.

4 x 17.49 = £70, so that's £50 more for 3 extra studio albums, 1 official double live cd, 3 extra live cds, 1 blu ray of video, plus of course the box and the 68 page book.

For me, the box is definitely the way to go. Looking at the Burning Shed listings, the individual releases say cds plus dvd (containing hi res surround mix), whereas the surround mixes are definitely on blurays in the box.

For me, the box is definitely the way to go. Looking at the Burning Shed listings, the individual releases say cds plus dvd (containing hi res surround mix), whereas the surround mixes are definitely on blurays in the box.
@Stephen W Tayler, am I wrong to suppose that the DVDs in the 3-disc sets are DVD-Video with a dts track?

Well Burning Shed has the pre-orders up for the standalones @ £17.49 each vs the box set @ £120.00, just depends on how much we want all the other goodies in the box...which looks like a veritable treasure trove for the VDGG fan!

The price for the boxset on Burning Shed is very reasonable, but shipping (with insurance and courier) to US is quite high (with shipping it's ~$200.00). I put an order in for peace of mind, but I hope something more reasonable for US buyers appears over the next few months. The 4 album standalone bundle is a bit tempting, but I really want the surround mixes on blu-ray, as well as all the additional live stuff and video footage. This boxset will be the definitive package for the best period of the band. I hope something similar happens for Peter Hammill's solo output over the same time frame - equally compelling and pretty much VDGG albums anyway.

Perhaps more importantly, I see that the title track “Still Life” is included on the DVD of the album, but isn’t listed on the Blu-ray… I assume this is a misprint?

Back