Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok well I updated the Apple TV software and Atmos is now working. I'm having the same issues as others, I'll be playing an Atmos playlist and not all the songs are Atmos, I'm sure things will be fixed gradually. Definitely need an Atmos category that is searchable to make things simpler.

So I suspect that this Atmos Sgt Pepper is THE version we have all been waiting and wanting to hear for 4+ years!! WOW it's really spectacular and I thought the blu ray 5.1 was solid... ♥

yeah I posted that for some reason I thought this mix had been done originally in atmos for some kind of studio demo exhibition but the atmos never made it to the physical disc. I'm not sure if it was this album or another Beatles album though? anyone know?

yeah I posted that for some reason I thought this mix had been done originally in atmos for some kind of studio demo exhibition but the atmos never made it to the physical disc. I'm not sure if it was this album or another Beatles album though? anyone know?

Sgt Pepper was THE album to have the special one night exhibition in 2017 to show off what could be done with Atmos. After that one night, the Atmos version has never seen the light of day. I wonder if what we have on Apple Music is finally that version?

Here is info about the 2017 event: Dolby Atmos' Spicy Pepper Theatrical Listening Session

Sgt Pepper was THE album to have the special one night exhibition in 2017 to show off what could be done with Atmos. After that one night, the Atmos version has never seen the light of day. I wonder if what we have on Apple Music is finally that version?

Here is info about the 2017 event: Dolby Atmos' Spicy Pepper Theatrical Listening Session

yup, just found it also The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band Special Dolby Atmos Listening Events

I would bet money that the apple music version is the same atmos mix. I mean to remix it again in atmos looks like a money loser for all invloved so I'm sure it was just easier and more profitable to use the orignal Giles Martin atmos mix.

Actually also had a run at the Tate:
https://news.dolby.com/en-WW/184454...ches-in-liverpool-photo-image-apple-corps-ltd

My Focusrite doesn't understand MP3, M4A, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, DSD, AC3, DTS, DTS HD Master Audio, or any other format I play on the Mac, either. The Focusrite is not the issue.

Yes it is, Apple expects your DAC to decode the Dolby Atmos stream into surround audio... this is something your Focusrite can't do... all the other formats you're mentioning are decoded by the audio player on your Mac... that's why you'll need an AVR that is Dolby Atmos compatible...

Yes it is, Apple expects your DAC to decode the Dolby Atmos stream into surround audio... this is something your Focusrite can't do... all the other formats you're mentioning are decoded by the audio player on your Mac... that's why you'll need an AVR that is Dolby Atmos compatible...
Or a software decoder for Atmos, which it sounds like Apple is building into macOS Monterey as part of their adoption of "spatial audio."

See JediJoker's post above. Some WWDC sessions will provide some you with some good background, too, on how things actually work.

(Part of the Mac issue is that while Spatial Audio was launched now, some of the AV frameworks to truly support it on the Mac will come with the next OS release. e.g. AVSampleBufferAudioRender AVAudioSessionPortDescription property indicating multichannel output capability. The Focusrite is not the issue.)

Last edited:
Very interesting roundtable with Manny Marroquin, Sylvia Massy and No I.D.

BS Apple marketing :)
It's funny how they're talking as if this is all new.

Anyway, it's good since it means more surround for us.
I don't care if 99% will be listening on bluetooth earphones / home pods, as long as they don't forget the 1% who will be listening on surround speakers.

Or a software decoder for Atmos, which it sounds like Apple is building into macOS Monterey as part of their adoption of "spatial audio."
Is that confirmed ?
That would be interesting if we can play Atmos on the desktop (Mac) without a receiver.

BS Apple marketing :)
It's funny how they're talking as if this is all new.

Anyway, it's good since it means more surround for us.
I don't care if 99% will be listening on bluetooth earphones / home pods, as long as they don't forget the 1% who will be listening on surround speakers.

Well it's not new obviously, it's been out there for more than 10 years but it's at this point that we're seen the adoption of the format in all mainstream media. (HBO MAX, Netflix, Apple TV+, Tidal HiFi, and now Apple Music).

Whatever it takes, if that translates to Apple carrying the flag as the innovators here, in exchange for more advertising, which translates to more albums recorded in the format, and average joes with surround sound at home...I'll take it.

I find it funny that they had to brand it (as all of their products and services) as "Spatial Audio", and not just Dolby Atmos Music (within their catalog).

Well in a way it’s “new” to Apple Music people! And it surely opens the doors to millions of people who probably never knew there was such a thing as Atmos music or spatial or immersive or whatever the hot word of the day is. 😂

I believe only "More Than a Woman" and "You Should Be Dancing" from Saturday Night Fever are on Tidal.
And these two are not on Tidal.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/st...ight-fever-soundtrack/1442259177?i=1442259185https://music.apple.com/us/album/ni...ight-fever-soundtrack/1442259177?i=1442259373

And a couple of songs that are available in Amazon 3D and also in Apple:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/proud-mary/724157961?i=724158021https://music.apple.com/us/album/words/716217726?i=716218169

Last edited:
Run of the Mill from All Things Must Pass 50th anniversary is already available in Atmos. And it's too late for me here to play it aloud. Please somebody play it for me and comment on the mix
Edit: I could not resist the temptation and played it at very low volume. And bad news, rears and heights seem to be a carbon copy of the fronts. It may sound fine at a decent volume, but forget about a discreet mix.

Last edited:
Is that confirmed ?
That would be interesting if we can play Atmos on the desktop (Mac) without a receiver.
I'm not sure if it's "confirmed," but how else will owners of the new iMac be able to take advantage of their "spatial audio" with regards to Apple Music?

Run of the Mill from All Things Must Pass 50th anniversary is already available in Atmos. And it's too late for me here to play it aloud. Please somebody play it for me and comment on the mix
Edit: I could not resist the temptation and played it at very low volume. And bad news, rears and heights seem to be a carbon copy of the fronts. It may sound fine at a decent volume, but forget about a discreet mix.
Atmos starts strong but settles into mediocracy.

Last edited:
Back