Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The audio and video signals need a path from the Apple TV box to the TV in order to see video. The way I do it is Apple TV box to AVR, then AVR to TV, using HDMI. The other way to do it would be Apple TV box to TV, then TV to AVR, using HDMI ARC if your TV has an HDMI ARC connection.

Thanks for that. My Panasonic has HDMI ARC connection, which I already use.

Thanks for that info. I’m more tempted to buy an Apple 4K box now. Just off the top of my head, does the box just have to be connected to the AVR ( or TV, as well ) ?

On a AVR only a connection with HDMI needs to be made from ATV to AVR, AVR should be connected with HDMI to the TV, that will transport the signal to the TV (sound and vision) for 4K and HDR , both HDMI cables need to be of 4K quality.

Alternatively you can connect the ATV direct to the TV and IF the TV and AVR are eARC capable the ATMOS signal should also go from ATV->TV->AVR (eARC is not always available, you need HDMI2.1 TV and HDMI2.1 AVR)

test

Where did you find that info that it will be implemented to output to external audio ?
The only info I can find is "Spatial Stereo" which simulates surround on stereo sources to earphones/headphones.

Since Apple is really marketing this in terms of using the psychoacoustic renderer to render Atmos/multichannel audio sources to orientation-sensing headphones, there's very little -explicit- discussion of the technically simpler rendering to a static multichannel speaker array. However, as JediJoker has reasonably inferred, if multichannel Atmos content is going to be rendered on the Mac into "Spatial Audio" (multichannel presented as variable two-channel based on orientation) by the psychoacoustic renderer, it's not far-fetched at all to imagine Apple will be enabling the path for multichannel Atmos to a static multichannel speaker array.

Consider:
  1. The Mac has long had the ability to be configured for 5.1/6.1/7.1 via an external interface with multiple outputs, like my Focusrite 18i20 gen 3.
  2. The AV and Core Audio frameworks allow apps easy access to those speaker arrays.
  3. CoreAudio already has kAudioChannelLayoutTag_Atmos_n_n_n tags for a variety of channel layouts.
  4. The Music app and even Finder Quick Look already properly render various multichannel audio files to multichannel speaker arrays on the Mac.
  5. Apple has clearly licensed at least some aspects and uses of Atmos technology and branding from Dolby.
  6. Apple's "TV" app on the Mac plays movie and television audio in proper surround via Mac multichannel outputs.
  7. Dolby has had an Atmos Renderer for the Mac for years.
  8. The hi-res lossless features just released -require- the use of an external audio interface / DAC.
  9. Apple is updating Logic, used heavily with external audio interfaces, for "Spatial Audio" soon.
  10. Apple has made clear that some of the new Spatial Audio features have just been launched and some the Spatial Audio features will require the next suite of OS updates this fall.
The pieces are all there or coming in a few months. I'll be very surprised if Atmos does not start playing as true multichannel audio on a Mac configured with an external audio interface in surround configuration when the next major OS updates are released.

If someone has downloaded the beta frameworks, I suspect there'll be evidence there.

[UPDATE: After doing Reset Cache and some restarting, I am getting the Atmos logo and 5.1 output from some songs in the Spatial Audio playlist. Ignore the person saying Atmos playback can't happen on the Mac. They don't know what they are talking about.]

Last edited:
On a AVR only a connection with HDMI needs to be made from ATV to AVR, AVR should be connected with HDMI to the TV, that will transport the signal to the TV (sound and vision) for 4K and HDR , both HDMI cables need to be of 4K quality.

Alternatively you can connect the ATV direct to the TV and IF the TV and AVR are eARC capable the ATMOS signal should also go from ATV->TV->AVR (eARC is not always available, you need HDMI2.1 TV and HDMI2.1 AVR)

Thanks. So if I’ve understood that correctly ? I’ve only got to plug the Apple box into a available input on the back of my AVR, because I obviously already have a video signal, that I’m using with ARC connection.

Thanks. So if I’ve understood that correctly ? I’ve only got to plug the Apple box into a available input on the back of my AVR, because I obviously already have a video signal, that I’m using with ARC connection.
That solution works for me.

HDMI cable from (ATV 4K) to (Yamaha Atmos-capable AVR), then another HDMI cable from AVR to TV. As Q4-Bert said, all cables 4K capable.

I don’t utilize ARC but I don’t think it will affect the Atmos use-case.

That solution works for me.

HDMI cable from (ATV 4K) to (Yamaha Atmos-capable AVR), then another HDMI cable from AVR to TV. As Q4-Bert said, all cables 4K capable.

I don’t utilize ARC but I don’t think it will affect the Atmos use-case.

Thank you for that. I’m almost certain I will buy a box now, even though I mainly want it for music.

Thank you for that. I’m almost certain I will buy a box now, even though I mainly want it for music.
If you have an Atmos-capable AVR, add an Apple 4K TV cube, connect them, can you get ATMOS playing thru your AVR without a 4K TV? I've got a small 1080p l use just for surround music/menu viewing and it's not 4K. Can't imagine you would need 4K video to get the ATMOS audio?

If you have an Atmos-capable AVR, add an Apple 4K TV cube, connect them, can you get ATMOS playing thru your AVR without a 4K TV? I've got a small 1080p l use just for surround music/menu viewing and it's not 4K. Can't imagine you would need 4K video to get the ATMOS audio?

Yes, I have a Sony STR-DN1080 AVR, which of course is 4K & ATMOS capable. The only thing I’ve thought about is getting screen burn in on my Panasonic OLED 4K tv, with the menu display screen of the Apple box, for music. I assume there’s no way of turning off display screen ? Screen saver appears when using my Panasonic 4K / Blu Ray player

yeah I posted that for some reason I thought this mix had been done originally in atmos for some kind of studio demo exhibition but the atmos never made it to the physical disc. I'm not sure if it was this album or another Beatles album though? anyone know?
Sgt. Pepper was indeed the First Atmos remaster demo, before that only club music existed in Atmos.

In the Heights sound track is also available in Atmos in Apple Music ( you have to search for the album)
thanks for the heads up. Im halfway through the movie and so far I'm liking it. Take it as a bold statement, but for someone who loates musicals I find this one quite refreshing. One of the hotties in the movie is from hometown.

I assume that Apple also calls it Spatial Audio so that in the future if/when they add support for Auro, DTS:X or other "3D" audio formats, they can group them all under their little brand name.

Correct, you do not need 4K video to get Atmos audio.

Where did you find that info that it will be implemented to output to external audio ?
The only info I can find is "Spatial Stereo" which simulates surround on stereo sources to earphones/headphones.
At present, "spatial audio" is also supported on the built-in speakers of the M1 iMac, but the fact remains that an Atmos decoder of some kind is needed for Atmos playback. And since they're able to do binaural (and other) extracts from Atmos, they've got a decoder. I'm hoping the decoder will work with more channels when present.

Reactions: pti
Back