SQ MATRIX Various Information ( BILLBOARD 1972-1976 )

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's in Mark Anderson's wonderful Quadraphonic Discography on this page (he apparently has some Q8's also):
*edit- but it says QS not SQ
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm
JAMES LAST -
Beach Party 5. Polydor Q3811 250 (Q8) [Canada]
Happy Hammond. Polydor Q3811 194 (Q8) [Canada]
Non Stop Dancing 1974. Polydor Q3811 228 (Q8) [Canada]
Non Stop Dancing 2. Polydor Q3811 246 (Q8) [Canada], Polydor #unknown
(Q8) [Germany]
Voodoo Party. Polydor 2371235 (QS) [Germany] {Unmarked Quad}
It is QS. Sounds great, too. It was the only LP quad release.

It's funny seeing this all laid out the way you did, @fizzywiggs41. Makes SQ look solid and being distributed very well. (I did find it odd that CBS added a CD-4 Mastering Room, as reported in the Dec '74 issue. Why? 🤔). SQ singles, SQ cassettes, radio station servicing, single inventory releases, various companies getting ready to decide, (like Polydor.)

Sad that it all dwindled to zero. 😥

I don't know if the other matrix or discrete supporters did the same thing as CBS , who did it to stay on top of the competition and for quad album comparison , but I kinda think it was a wise choice given the rapid development in format upgrades.

BTW.... Back in 1973 , Ben Bauer was asked if he would consider a merger with both matrices SQ and QS.
He answered no because of QS incompatiblility , but maybe for CD-4 .
(26th May 1973 ; 03 & 15)

Yes it kinda dwindled all right , but FWIW ....SQ was the last to quit with quadraphonic releases in 1984 .
They outlasted both QS and CD-4 by a number of years albeit only a handful of releases in the 80's .

Last edited:
Although slightly compromised , I consider Polydor's Tommy by the Who a decent QS album . (some do disagree , though ).

Actually there were two versions. The first had the QS. Then Polydor signed for CD-4 and remixed that album. I have heard both versions. I had the first (with QS) until someone swiped it. Then I heard another copy that a friend bought and I did not hear QS. Both were played on the same system.

Actually there were two versions. The first had the QS. Then Polydor signed for CD-4 and remixed that album. I have heard both versions. I had the first (with QS) until someone swiped it. Then I heard another copy that a friend bought and I did not hear QS. Both were played on the same system.

Actually I have two original editions ; one from Polydor U.S . and one from Polydor Canada . And played in QS on my Sansui QSD 2 they both sounded excellent .

So Tommy was supposed to be released in CD-4....and with a different mix?

So Tommy was supposed to be released in CD-4....and with a different mix?

No. The original QS mix was taken directly from the movie (and is still in the movie, even though it is labeled Dolby Surround - the encoding is basicly the same).

They probably had to remove the QS mix when they signed to use CD-4 for legal reasons, even though they never used CD-4.

Columbia probably added CD-4 processing to its labs so they could experiment with it, or to try the Leonard Feldman idea of matrixing the discrete disc.

No. The original QS mix was taken directly from the movie (and is still in the movie, even though it is labeled Dolby Surround - the encoding is basicly the same).

They probably had to remove the QS mix when they signed to use CD-4 for legal reasons, even though they never used CD-4.

Columbia probably added CD-4 processing to its labs so they could experiment with it, or to try the Leonard Feldman idea of matrixing the discrete disc.
The movie was labeled "Quintaphonic Sound", with a QS logo. I think Columbia added CD-4 processing so they could compete with other pressing plants for other labels' business.

I'm rather confused. I know I had always heard that the Tommy soundtrack was Dolby Surround.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Tommy-Original-Soundtrack-Recording/release/773950
But I thought we were talking about The Who's Tommy as an unlabeled quad.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Who-Tommy/master/68455
Can someone clarify?

The movie was labeled "Quintaphonic Sound", with a QS logo.

4-track magnetic prints with LCRS.

Theaters with QS ignored the mono surround track and instead decoded the two front channels into quad. Theaters without QS sent the mono surround track to the back and used the undecoded left and right in front. Both used the center channel unprocessed as usual.

Or at least that's my understanding. It implies that surround information would remain also in the front L-R channels for non-QS setups, so maybe it's wrong.

I believe the Dolby logo on the quintophonic prints simply refers to noise reduction, not matrix encoding.

But I wish we had a projectionist who remembers for sure to confirm or clarify!

The movie was labeled "Quintaphonic Sound", with a QS logo. I think Columbia added CD-4 processing so they could compete with other pressing plants for other labels' business.
Here's the logo. Not very clear, but absolutely uses the QS that Sansui used in the logo.
Screenshot_20210614-150047.png

I can't remember where I read it, but it was my understanding that the "quintaphonic sound" presentation was a quad mix QS matrixed into two channels, (FL/FR) and a discrete center channel, so when the QS was decoded, it turned 3 channels into 5.

I don't believe any of the LP releases of the film soundtrack were in any flavour of quad encoding, QS or otherwise. The Japanese release mentions the quintaphonic sound presentation (there's a thread about this elsewhere, maybe the Polydor Japan one I started?) on the obi-strip, but it's referring to the film itself and not the contents of the LPs.

It's funny seeing this all laid out the way you did, @fizzywiggs41. Makes SQ look solid and being distributed very well. (I did find it odd that CBS added a CD-4 Mastering Room, as reported in the Dec '74 issue. Why? 🤔). SQ singles, SQ cassettes, radio station servicing, single inventory releases, various companies getting ready to decide, (like Polydor.)

Sad that it all dwindled to zero. 😥

I think it was just a business decision, CBS wanted to be able to offer CD-4 mastering just so they could say they had a full-service offering, and maybe to take away business from their competitors at JVC/RCA. Bud Dwyer mastered a number of WEA (and subsidiaries like Finnadar) CD-4s at CBS NY in the '74-'76 timeframe. There's a QQ thread about it here.

4-track magnetic prints with LCRS.

Theaters with QS ignored the mono surround track and instead decoded the two front channels into quad. Theaters without QS sent the mono surround track to the back and used the undecoded left and right in front. Both used the center channel unprocessed as usual.

Or at least that's my understanding. It implies that surround information would remain also in the front L-R channels for non-QS setups, so maybe it's wrong.

I believe the Dolby logo on the quintophonic prints simply refers to noise reduction, not matrix encoding.

But I wish we had a projectionist who remembers for sure to confirm or clarify!
The credits, at the end of the movie had the Quintaphonic Sound and QS Logos. I made a point of staying to see it. In fact, if someone has the laserdisc of the movie, it's there in the closing credits.

Back