QS MATRIX , ITEMS OF INTEREST (Billboard 1972-1976)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As with the SQ thread , I have gleaned a number of interestingnbits and pieces regarding Sansui QS .

Not everything will be in exact chronological order but what the hell it was almost 50 years ago so forgive me.
As before I will supply the date and page from Billboard for your own reference.
(MONTH -DAY -YEAR ;, PAGE)

:cool: Sleuthing BILLBOARD for quad items , took me 4 months , fwiw . And No QQ either, just focused on the task.

QS PYE :
PYE Records are restoring their QS quad albums for 1976 (March 17th 1976 ; 70)
PYE Records are issuing Quad albums using the Sansui QS encode and that includes matrix quad cassettes. Also Precision Tapes issuing 6 Q8's for June and devoloping matrix cassettes for later release. They will be fully compatible quad and stereo matrix cassettes /quad Q C .
(April 22nd ,1972 ; 48) see also (May 06th 1972 ; 30)
PYE QS LP'S in advertisement .(October 21,1972 ; 39,40,41 ) Precision Q8 Tapes on page 49.

Ovation backs QS 100 o/o , and the 45's say stereo but are QS . (March 10th 1973 ; 04)

VOX first QS LP'S coming soon . (December 23rd 1972 ; 22)

Experimental Matrixed Encoded cassettes have been introduced , (could be either or all QS, or SQ, or EV-4)
(May 06th ,1972 ; 32)

Impulse QS records are being mixed at The Village Recorder. (November 24th ,1973 ; 16)

Sector 4 LP'S (QS) debuted by Dick Schory at the Winter CES. (January 18th ,1975 ; 55)

Sector 4 , Ovation , Black Jazz , QS LP Advertisment . (April 19th , 1975 ; 47)

GRT Classical Tapes will be in Stereo Matrix Quad (April 19th ,1975 ; 94)

Decca France releases first 7 QS LP'S . (May 12th , 1973 ; 36)

Ovation Records to release QS cassettes , 45's , and Stereo 8's . (May 19th ,1973 ; 45 & 62)

SANSUI QS LP'S Advertisement for 1975 . (June 07th ,1975 ; 52&53)

SANSUI Imports a number of QS LP'S into North America . Such as Japanese LP'S by Pink Floyd , The Ventures ,
JOHN Lennon , the soundtrack to "Night Porter" , records from Decca France , LP'S from PERU , and SWEDEN . (November 08th ,1975 ; 59)

Sansui demonstrates "quiet quad" Gloria Gaynor - Experience on MGM Records at The 1975 AES .
The cut "Do It Yourself" sounds pleasantly in QS . (November 15th 1875 ; 68)

ABC Records opens new 2 Million Dollar Studio in Los Angeles with a Quad chamber and is 3 Studios in one. At present they're doing Impulse Records. (July 27th ,1974 ; 18)

QS 45's for Jukeboxes are introduced by Dick Schory (July 27th ,1974 ; 79)

ABC RECORDS Studios" CONFLICTING Mix" information ;
Jimmy Ienner is mixing for quad the Three Dog Night Album -Coming Down Your Way (March 10th 1974 ; 20)
Howard Gale is mixing for quad the Three Dog Night album - Coming Down Your Way (OOctober 04th 1975 ; 31)

Major U S Studios with SANSUI ENCODERS in use. (August 1975)

A & R Recording.............. New York
Media Sound Studios..... New York
Bell Sound Studios......... New York
Broadway Recording...... New York
Sound Tek Inc................. New York
Elite Recording Studio.... New York
Streeterville Studio......... Chicago
Sound 80.........................Minneapolis
Quadrafonic Studio........ Nashville
A & M Records................ Los Angeles
Burbank Studios............. Burbank , CA.
Village Recorders. ......... Los Angeles
West Lake Audio Studio. Los Angeles
ABC Records .................. Los Angeles

(August 09th ,1975 ; 104)

"Threshold Studios employs QS matrix"

The album Ray Thomas - From Mighty Oaks checks out ok by QS decodes .Threshold Studios recently aquired a QS Encoder .
(July 27th , 1975 ; 10)
" Ray Thomas says the master tape of "Oaks" was QS encoded but the U.S. LP mastered at Artisan was not". Recent Threshold mixes such as the remix of , This Is The Moody Blues , Justin Hayward and John Lodge - Bluejays , Graeme Edge and Adrian Gurvitz -Kick Off Your Muddy Boots are being considered for quadraphonic treatment. Ray Thomas says he prefers quad with orchestration : quad works well over synthesizers and there will be a Q8 of "Oaks" soon. Mr.Thomas says "the quad QS was not consciously transferred to the disk. (August 30th ,1975 ; 26)

Quad feature , updates From SANSUI (March 08th 1975)
The Who's Tommy Soundtrack on Polydor is a QS album. (p 13)
A large Sansui QS quad advertisement . (p19)
ABC Command LP'S recently released , featuring pictures that include Joe Walsh -So What (p 21)

Quad Record chart of LP'S released from Japan , in QS , RM etc. (March 15th 1975 ; 42)
Advertisement of Tommy in Sansui 5 channel QS. (March 15th 1975 ; 51)
Sire Records is pleased with the SQ recording of Synergy and plan to record in QS albums for The Climax Blues Band and Fireballet . Sire Records Craig Leon :"We plan to try the QS system on all future releases". (March 15th 1975 ; 63)

Large picture of "Tommy The Movie" Theatrical QS release Advertisement by SANSUI. (May 17th ,1975 ; 81)

Anyway to continue :

Sansui has QS Listings as at 1973 (January 27th 1973 ; 88) also additional info by Sansui can be found on pages 84 to 88.

Lou Reisner (Ode Records) mixed his QS quad album at Sound Labs , Hollywood . (February 24th 1973 ; 21)

A number of ABC BLUESWAY QS albums are encoded from their multi tracks from the 60's :

Ray Charles -Genius Live (September 1964)
Jimmy Reed - Ain't From Chicago (fr the 60's)
Brownie McGee and Sonny Terry - I Couldn't Believe My Eyes (1969)
Andrew 'Voice' Odom (1969)
Also 71:
John Lee Hooker - Kabuki Wuki (1971)

Also Bluesway Records made 2 Samplers of their artists , some tracks would be in QS as well. Sorry no album numbers are provided.

(FFebruary 24th 1973 ; 48)

Sansui bows the upgraded "Q 360" Vario matrix QS I.C. Chip at MIDEM France . (March 03,1973 ; 87 )

From NARM 74 , Hollywood Florida ;
Ovation's Dick Schory, states : despite the fact their not fully committed at this time to any particular quad disc system , they are still mixing down for future quad disk systems and putting them away.
(April 06th 1974 ; 16)

The Artist Sun Ra is working with Ed Michel who is producing quad mixes for Blue Thumb , Impulse , and ABC Records. (April 07th 1973 ; 20)

Sofrason/Decca Paris France uses a Sansui QS Encoder . (April 07th 1973 ; 34 & 38)

:) to be continued

Knew about this one and Free Beer & Chicken; but
🤯 -Didn't know about this one - sweet!

I find Larry Clifton's Quad Incorporated , guide to four channel U.S.listings invaluable for reference to this day.
I wonder if it can still be purchased as it's a quick quad reference guide and my cover has seen better days.
Highly recommend this quad Bible.

20210614_214312.jpg

It's notable that several record companies made records in more than one system:

A&M: EV, QS, SQ, CD-4
Ovation: EV, QS
Project 3: EV, QS, SQ, CD-4
A&M had originally announced five albums that were slated for QS release in the US, including "A Song For You", from the Carpenters, and "Come From The Shadows", from Joan Baez. The latter was the only one of the five to hit the stores. The ad went on to say they were using an improved vinyl formulation for the quad releases, because in quad, "when the record pops, the whole room pops". I grabbed the Joan Baez album as soon as I saw it, and was very pleased with its sound. I had a Sansui QS-01 decoder connected to my system and, considering how good their first effort sounded, I was bummed that the others got tabled.

Last edited:
Major U S Studios with SANSUI ENCODERS in use. (August 1975)

A & R Recording.............. New York
Media Sound Studios..... New York
Bell Sound Studios......... New York
Broadway Recording...... New York
Sound Tek Inc................. New York
Elite Recording Studio.... New York
Streeterville Studio......... Chicago
Sound 80.........................Minneapolis
Quadrafonic Studio........ Nashville
A & M Records................ Los Angeles
Burbank Studios............. Burbank , CA.
Village Recorders. ......... Los Angeles
West Lake Audio Studio. Los Angeles
ABC Records .................. Los Angeles

(August 09th ,1975 ; 104)
Criteria Studios, in Miami, also had a QS encoder.

Oh , What album did A&M encode in EV-4 ? That's certainly news to me @MidiMagic , would be nice to know though fwiw .

They were talking with EV before QS was available. I think an EV ad listed A&M as among record companies planning EV releases.

I wish I hadn't dumped most of my audio-genre magazines when I moved in 1993, but space in the new house was a lacking. I saved only the ones with major quad articles.

I don't think they ever specified a particular title, or titles, slated to be EV encoded. They were eager to get into quad, but their playing "musical formats", having skipped from QS, to SQ, and ultimately settling on CD-4, may have shot them in the foot. That system had nothing on cats when it came to being finicky! They had some great artists; it saddens me to what could have been if A&M had thought things through.better.

I don't think they ever specified a particular title, or titles, slated to be EV encoded. They were eager to get into quad, but their playing "musical formats", having skipped from QS, to SQ, and ultimately settling on CD-4, may have shot them in the foot. That system had nothing on cats when it came to being finicky! They had some great artists; it saddens me to what could have been if A&M had thought things through.better.

I agree they should have stuck with both QS and SQ matrix .
And I don't know of any they did in EV-4 , but there is one disc that works well with QS and is a DY 4D recommended album . "LEE MICHAELS - LEE MICHAELS ( Live album) and I have it . FWIW Played in QS it's really quite good .

Back