Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oohhh i soooooo want to get Atmos!! 🤯🙏
ahh... if i were a rich bitch, a yaba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba doo! 😝
once my lotto numbers come up, i'm all IN
As, c’mon Freddiepoo, just sell a small handful of long OOP recordings chosen among those that you never liked anyway and then you’re practically fully funded!

In The Heights (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Lin-Manuel Mirander on Tidal, not seen it on Apple Music.

1280x1280.jpg

https://tidal.com/browse/album/186642842

Pretty cool, digging the vibe. Has some cool elements and there's some interesting stuff like percussion 'in the heights'... :cool:

Film is supposed to be pretty good, could be the film of the summer apparently... 🍿

Couple of 'new' songs in Atmos from The Supremes... Whoop! :cool: Both mixed by Dustin Richardson and both sound great! Similar to some of the other Soul songs they have a cool quad like mix with drums at the back and some cool panning.

Stop! In The Name Of Love
View attachment 68037
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/186517461
Apple Music - Stop! In the Name of Love by The Supremes

Where Did Our Love Go
View attachment 68038
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/186517457
Apple Music - Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes
Would you mind posting your gear chain for getting the Atmos experience somewhere on the QQ MrSmithers (if you haven’t already done so ?) A lot of folks are having trouble getting Atmos to play on their systems. Seems a little confusing out there.

Would you mind posting your gear chain for getting the Atmos experience somewhere on the QQ MrSmithers (if you haven’t already done so ?) A lot of folks are having trouble getting Atmos to play on their systems. Seems a little confusing out there.
Sure no probs Pups, I've just got an Apple TV 4K (2017) hooked up to a Sony STR 1080 5.1.2 AVR via HDMI. Nothing too snazzy at all. I remember when I got Tidal a year ago the app would only work if it could detect an Atmos capable device. So I think that's what you need for it to start streaming?

My Tidal deal still carries on for a bit but I couldn't resist getting Apple Music to check it out. It does feel a bit naughty having 2 streaming options though, like having a mistress on the side. I keep thinking one of them is going to find out about the other! :D

Jacob Collier is listening--and creating--in Dolby Atmos.

Now this is exciting. All the other videos I've seen that Dolby has done with contemporary singer-songwriters and R&B stars emoting over Atmos have been pretty lame: their gushing seems vague and obligatory and mostly uncomprehending. But Collier obviously gets it: he sees the possibilities and the advantages, and he understands how what he does is eminently well-suited to what Atmos can do.

On the whole, I've been less excited about Collier's own songwriting than I am about the crazy-mind-blowing arrangements he's done over the years (can you imagine hearing his cover of "Moon River" in Atmos?!--here's his Logic Session Breakdown for that song), but I'm really looking forward to hearing what he does.

Last edited:

Now this is exciting. All the other videos I've seen that Dolby has done with contemporary singer-songwriters and R&B stars emoting over Atmos have been pretty lame: their gushing seems vague and obligatory and mostly uncomprehending. But Collier obviously gets it: he sees the possibilities and the advantages, and he understands how what he does is eminently well-suited to what Atmos can do.

On the whole, I've been less excited about Collier's own songwriting than I am about the crazy-mind-blowing arrangements he's done over the years (can you imagine hearing his cover of "Moon River" in Atmos?!--here's his Logic Session Breakdown for that song), but I'm really looking forward to hearing what he does.

Apparently one of the first tracks done (at Paraclete Media) was "Make Me Cry," which you can watch here in a very cool 360-degree video:

(Edit: this "making of" video suggests that the audio might be VR surround, not Atmos--in fact Paraclete describes it as "3d-order Ambisonics.")

So far, however, all I've been able to confirm is the track "All I Need" (from Djesse, Vol. 3), on Amazon HD and Tidal (and presumably Apple Music). Is the entire album streaming in Atmos? Do I need to re-subscribe to Tidal to find out...?

Last edited:

Cool song by Jacob Collier - All I Need (with Mahalia & Ty Dolla $ign) in Atmos. Could have gone even crazier but some nice layered backing vocals in the rear channels, sounds pretty decent. Hopefully more stuff will show up soon...
1280x1280.jpg

Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/180738930
Apple Music - All I Need (with Mahalia & Ty Dolla $ign) - Single by Jacob Collier, Mahalia & Ty Dolla $ign

Cool song by Jacob Collier - All I Need (with Mahalia & Ty Dolla $ign) in Atmos. Could have gone even crazier but some nice layered backing vocals in the rear channels, sounds pretty decent. Hopefully more stuff will show up soon...
View attachment 68064
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/180738930
Apple Music - All I Need (with Mahalia & Ty Dolla $ign) - Single by Jacob Collier, Mahalia & Ty Dolla $ign

I just listened to it and it really has a very good immersion on the different vocals that envelope you from different locations.

What has caught my attention is that some "main vocals" come only from the wides and no sound from the fronts, used only for music beats. That gives "another immersive dimension" for the vocals that we are not used to. The traditional vocals were always from the frontals or worse from the Central speaker. I was noticing a "different" sense of vocals immersion and started my VUMeter, and Voila: The Wides are fully used for the vocals, and no vocals sound to the fronts.

It looks like Jacob knows what he is doing with the Atmos possibilities.

I'm really amortizing the Wides installation (9.1.4) that I could solve the WAF factor: Think that the Wide Right speaker is "in its right place" located above the Living room table on the side. If we use that table for many people that come to lunch or dinner, I have to remove that speaker. :D

https://tidal.com/album/187933530 Billie Eilish.
I really like the production and music on this album. Haven't heard the atmos mix yet, but thought I'd post the link.
I like the album and the mix, except for one thing, and I never thought I would ever say this. There is just TOO MUCH BASS. Instead of listening to the music, I’m forced to listening to everything in my house rattling. Including my teeth fillings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back