Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just using basic Kingsford charcoal and some chunks of good ole Hickory.
GOS, just curious if you find the charcoal grill to be better/easier/more satisfying than the pellet smoker. I find my pellet grill to be easy to use and consistently get good results, but I’ve always been intrigued by the Weber charcoal grills. And love the aromas they produce from what I remember. Just wondering if you consider it an upgrade.

Had grilled marinated Skirt Steak Tacos last night (with grilled Jalapeños, shallots and hot sauce); will make an omelet with the left over steak tonight.
*the marinade was: home grown Gold Nugget Mandarin juice, Miso, Soy Sauce, Chili Garlic paste and Toasted Sesame Seed Oil.

GOS, just curious if you find the charcoal grill to be better/easier/more satisfying than the pellet smoker. I find my pellet grill to be easy to use and consistently get good results, but I’ve always been intrigued by the Weber charcoal grills. And love the aromas they produce from what I remember. Just wondering if you consider it an upgrade.
Never owned a pellet grill. But, I'd say, don't use me as an example. I truly love the whole experience of managing the grills, coals, smoke, temp. I don't want a "set it and forget it". It's a lot of work, so if that's not you thing, don't even bother.

Never owned a pellet grill. But, I'd say, don't use me as an example. I truly love the whole experience of managing the grills, coals, smoke, temp. I don't want a "set it and forget it". It's a lot of work, so if that's not you thing, don't even bother.
My bad, I was thinking that your Oklahoma Joe smoker was a pellet grill but now I see it also uses charcoal. Which do you prefer between that and the Weber? If I had to guess, I would say the Weber is much simpler to use but probably can only handle smaller amounts.

Reactions: GOS
My bad, I was thinking that your Oklahoma Joe smoker was a pellet grill but now I see it also uses charcoal. Which do you prefer between that and the Weber? If I had to guess, I would say the Weber is much simpler to use but probably can only handle smaller amounts.
Yeah, I'd say that's the case. Probably need to use the Weber a few more weeks before I decide if it's my go to smoking method.

I did a whole chicken yesterday using a pellet grill. After placing the chicken on the grill I went for a long motorycycle ride.

I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy 🛵:)

cy33mly.jpg

I received the Slow 'N Sear accessory for my Weber grill as mentioned by @GOS in post 276. Fathers Day family gathering this Friday & I plan to experiment this Saturday. Between chuck roast & brisket for my first virgin smoke out I chose the brisket. I have always heard this described as "an inexpensive cut of meat". But when I chose a part that looked just the right size for my grill it was a rather tiny 2.67 lbs but it cost $32.00! I can only imagine what Gene paid for his 4 pounder. But the fat cap looks trimmed perfect & I'll follow Gene's info & extrapolate the math to a smaller size. We shall see.

Of course evrything is at least momentarily mucho expensive. Again in regards to meat, there is a great little neighberhood store in the (very desirable ) KC residential area called Brookside. There is the Brookside Meat & Poultry company. They made the news because the owner recently went out to his signage & using black tape put a big "X" over the "Meat" part. He has for now completely discontinued red meat sales because he says it's killing him, and his customers, to every week bump meat prices another 25% . Well, there's always Spam I guess...

Edit: Oh besides the tiny brisket if works out, we'll be grilling the usual burgers, brats, chicken, etc. So the brisket isn't responsible for feeding everyone.

Last edited:
I received the Slow 'N Sear accessory for my Weber grill[...]

Nice! I use a similar product for Weber called the Smokenator.

Just want to strongly suggest that you use a wireless thermometer to monitor interior meat temperature as well as grill heat temperature. Smoking requires low heat (~225°F grill temp) for an extended period of time until the internal meat temp reaches the magic 203°F number. It sounds easy but unless you have an automatic system you will have to maintain the low heat manually for many hours. The temperature can fluctuate wildly until you get it to stabilize. Without a thermometer it's impossible. I know, I tried.

I use this
https://www.maverickthermometers.co...ded-range-probe-digital-bbq-meat-thermometer/
Ask me about "the stall".

Last edited:
Nice! I use a similar product for Weber called the Smokenator.

Just want to strongly suggest that you use a wireless thermometer to monitor interior meat temperature as well as grill heat temperature. Smoking requires low heat (~225°F grill temp) for an extended period of time until the internal meat temp reaches the magic 203°F number. It sounds easy but unless you have an automatic system you will have to maintain the low heat manually for many hours. The temperature can fluctuate wildly until you get it to stabilize. Without a thermometer it's impossible. I know, I tried.

I use this
https://www.maverickthermometers.co...ded-range-probe-digital-bbq-meat-thermometer/
Ask me about "the stall".
Thanks for the reply Tribby!
I know about grill temp, internal temp, bark, the stall, the frug, watusi and the boogaloo. I know as much as you can about smoking from reading. I think it's kinda like trying to learn karate from a book. Many years a successful griller I am looking forward to actually getting hands on experience smoking.

I am certainly open to using one of those high tech thermometers you suggested. I've spent some time now looking at the Maverick & similar products, videos, user manuals. Some things just aren't answered on line so I guess I know who to ask...

An aspect of the Slow 'N Sear is that it is an extremely efficient combustion chamber and any air leaks around the kettle lid will prevent getting it low into the 250 deg range. It is suggested to seal the lid to the pot by using a few 2" binder clips.

So. I can easily insert one of the XR-40 probes in the lid hole already on the Weber for a thermometer. But the meat probe is also the wired type and has to sneak out the side (no), or maybe the top vent holes. Which makes it hard to raise the lid with out pulling the probe out, me thinks.

Any insight or suggestions from you or anyone on how to work around this?

[...]

Any insight or suggestions from you or anyone on how to work around this?

Nothing like practice. Forewarned - I sold the books long ago and have never BBQ'd since. Except a bratwurst 🤤or two 🌭. Once you understand the principles you can easily "read" your smoke.

I don't bother sealing nothin'. The thermometer probe leads are simply run under the rim. Temperature is controlled with the lower and upper vents. At a stable 225F temp my lower vent is at <1/4 open and my upper vent about <1/3 open. About halfway you'll likely need to add charcoal "chunks". Don't use briquettes. They burn too hot and too fast. Oh, and easy on the wood! (Red oak my fave, as well as local apple wood.) You only need about two, m-a-y-b-e 3 pieces of wood to start about the size of a fat thumb finger in a Weber. Occasionally add more wood as the smoke dictates. Remember - blue smoke good, gray smoke not so. Remember low and slow - light and gentle smoke. I'm sorry. I gotta' stop here and run out to the butcher shop... 🤤🍖

Last edited:
Thanks, but is that Maverick BT-30 also dual mode; to show external temperatures up to 527°F simultaneously?
So I read the BT-30 user manual... the 527 deg F is the max temp before the probe destructs. It has a warning indicator well before that. The probe temp is 32 F to 212 F which seemed a bit minimal at first until I realized grill & meat temp is well within that range. My little Maverick has a hardware receiver & the BT-30 uses an app on your via the blue tooth. It looks like you can get up to 8 probes running for multi-level cooking. The BT-30 only comes with one but you can buy others at I don't know how many $$. Two minutes to recharge the probe for 4 hrs use. With slow smoking you might need a beer break to recharge.

Mine is quite a bit simpler, and cheaper. Great for a beginner:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maverick-Lw-377-Rectangle-Grill-Thermometer/1001459264

Back