The Complete Score to "The Matrix" Coming on 2 Multichannel Hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One can purchase the complete Matrix Trilogy in Native UHD4K for 50 bucks, Pupster, with Dolby Atmos soundtracks [NOT that I'm equipped for ATMOS]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Matrix-Trilogy-4K-Blu-ray/211950/
So are you saying this has the same separate "Audio Only" surround files similar to the Zimmer Inception Blu-Ray? If not then the soundtrack is probably a bunch of "in film" partials correct? If the new SACD has poor surround, then we'll still be wanting "the real deal" on this title; and the industry has a golden opportunity to provide many film scores in excellent surround via Atmos if they'd just show some balls (think Mick Fleetwood accoutrement.)

Recommend me one iconic track from Don Davis' score.
The lack of a singular "iconic track"—or, more accurately, "cue"—does not make a score any less good or iconic as a whole. The gestalt of Davis' score matches and enhances the film's aesthetic. The film would feel naked without that score and a more "traditional" orchestral score from a John Williams-type would be conspicuously out of place.

I don't for one second think every film needs to have a more traditional score or a John Williams type. But the music does not stand on its own at all away from the film. It works fine in the film, but other than that.... no thanks.

I used to be a collector of film scores but not so much anymore. Preferably, I do buy film score compilations and some are encoded in HDCD and Dolby Surround and contain, of course, AMBIENT rears and are sonically thrilling! I am MOSTLY a fan of the recent Dutton Vocalion Charles Gerhardt film score series in DISCRETE QUAD which are, IMO, some of the most brilliant and highly prized SACDS in my collection.

The lack of a singular "iconic track"—or, more accurately, "cue"—does not make a score any less good or iconic as a whole. The gestalt of Davis' score matches and enhances the film's aesthetic. The film would feel naked without that score and a more "traditional" orchestral score from a John Williams-type would be conspicuously out of place.

That's what's wrong with it! Too much gestalt! :D

Got mine in yesterday-
*The only mention of a mix I see in the liner notes is:

SYNTHESIZERS RECORDED AND MIXED BY
Larry Mah at Hacienda Studio

I'm going to wait to give any mix opinion until I can crank it up on my main Surround rig.

Some extreme variance in DR of this first disc - from 7 to 23.

MATRIX DISC 1 DR.jpg

Trinity - Infinity opened up in Audacity

MATRIX TRINITY - INFINITY WAVE.jpg

MATRIX TRINITY - INFINITY PLOT SPECTRUM FREQ. ANANLYSIS-from about 3 min to 4:10.

MATRIX TRINITY - INFINITY PLOT SPECTRUM FREQ. ANANLYSIS.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of tinker...
*Penteo 4.1 from the stereo source, replaced only the new Rears into the original MC Fronts, C & LFE, add a little sugar and spice... much more discrete and dynamic IMO :cool:

MATRIXED by Mutt.jpg

Got mine in yesterday-

I'm going to wait to give any mix opinion until I can crank it up on my main Surround rig.

View attachment 68234

View attachment 68232

MATRIX TRINITY - INFINITY PLOT SPECTRUM FREQ. ANANLYSIS-from about 3 min to 4:10.

View attachment 68235
Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of tinker...
*Penteo 4.1 from the stereo source, replaced only the new Rears into the original MC Fronts, C & LFE, add a little sugar and spice... much more discrete and dynamic IMO :cool:

View attachment 68241

JP, how was the music? Will it be in heavy rotation @ the Pupster residence?🐶can't teach an ole dog new [Ma] trix!

Last edited:
JP, how was the music? Will it be in heavy rotation @ the Pupster residence?🐶
Only listened to the first disc on the computer so far, so lots more to hear yet and on the main system. Normally I rarely go back to full albums to sit down and listen to, I mainly just do a shuffle from hundreds of various titles from a large 2TB SSD through the oppo. The Matrix is kind of a novelty sound track IMO, not something I'll listen to often, but also, I've got so much other stuff; any particular title is lucky to have my time for full attention.

After listening to more of this (disc 2) on the computer; it definitely is not just a double stereo or ambient rears. You just have to get acclimated to this style of music; as orchestration will shift from the fronts to the rears, along with some more subtle discrete elements in the rears on occasion. Instead of doing a personal re-mix/up-mix Matrix of this; I'm now thinking maybe just boost the rears 2-4 dbs and Bob's your Uncle. I've been wanting more film scores in surround, well, here's one. Glad I have it :)

Here's the DRs for disc 2:

DRs disc 2.jpg

Got mine in yesterday-

View attachment 68234

View attachment 68232

View attachment 68235

the waveforms don't look very discrete.. they look like the mix might be an ambient load of bullshit! 😅

the waveforms don't look very discrete.. they look like the mix might be an ambient load of bullshit! 😅
are you saying this Bio-battery has lost it’s juice? I’ll see if I can zoom in on a more discrete looking waveform for your viewing pleasure; after my morning Joe :coffee: It’s sure not going to be Toys in The Attic that’s for sure!

As I mentioned earlier, there is so much subtlety in this music (a lot of orchestra swells from front to rear etc. and synthesizer parts etc.) and I just feel by bumping up the rears about 4 dbs will bring more interest on this music. No, it's not a hard core shocker of a surround mix that's for sure.

Here's waveforms stretched out a little with their amplitude "as is" for a small part of the song "That's Gotta Hurt" ;)

THAT'S GOTTA HURT- ORIG.jpg

Now, here's approximately the same section, but I've increased the amplitude of both the fronts and the rears for this section until they just start to clip. This gives you a better look at the differences in the waveforms.

THAT'S GOTTA HURT.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, there is so much subtlety in this music (a lot of orchestra swells from front to rear etc. and synthesizer parts etc.) and I just feel by bumping up the rears about 4 dbs will bring more interest on this music. No, it's not a hard core shocker of a surround mix that's for sure.

Here's waveforms stretched out a little with their amplitude "as is" for a small part of the song "That's Gotta Hurt" ;)

View attachment 68282

Now, here's approximately the same section, but I've increased the amplitude of both the fronts and the rears for this section until they just start to clip. This gives you a better look at the differences in the waveforms.

View attachment 68283
Sorry to say but it still looks like an upmix :giggle:

Sorry to say but it still looks like an upmix :giggle:
PENTEO.jpg

Ha, not even that good IMO; that's why I ripped the stereo also, to run it through Penteo and see how it shakes out with that. I'll try this same song later and post those waveforms here. But ultimately, I'll probably just boost the rears on everything 4dbs and take a powder. I've got far too many other Up-mix projects in the works that are much more interesting with better potential to waste my time on. :smokin

With commentary? Yeah, that's almost always going to be some form of stereo.
The way it's made, it's the soundtrack only with commentaries by Don Davis when there is no music. It does include the songs that are from other artists (found on The Matrix: Music From The Motion Picture) contrary to the SACD that only has the Don Davis compositions.

Back