Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed listening to Booka Shade's Galvany Street on Tidal in Atmos and disappointed it's only on Apple Music in stereo.
I hope the Atmos version shows up soon, as this album, as well as 'Dear Future Self' are amazingly active Immersive audio mixes. I have the BluRays, and in full high-rez Atmos, they are the go-to demo tracks.

These were mixed by the same engineer/studio that mixed Yello - Point, which is another demo-rich album (I also have the BR).

FYI- for those with Tidal subs, the Booka Shade albums are available in Atmos there.

Are any of you using your Apple box via wi-fi & if so are you finding it stops playing ?
I'm in the networking business, and I never, ever stream anything over wifi. All set-tops are hardwired, zero problems.
But I also have an IQrouter to ensure any Bufferbloat is eliminated. So you might be suffering from Bufferbloat. Use the dslreports.com/speedtest from a wired computer (or stand right next to the router) and if get a C or worse bufferbloat grade, time for a better router.

Hi guys,

Are any of you using your Apple box via wi-fi & if so are you finding it stops playing ?
Hi
I am , got occasional stutter and then wondered why after 15 mins it sleeps :rolleyes: :D
Got me noggin thinking and realised the box comes with that set as default...der...it's on never now!!
As for the Wi- Fi, that has calmed down, since initial use.
There is very occasionally, a mili second delay but seems OK now.
So pleased I bought, the not so cheap box, it is opening up so much more, in glorious surround.
:QQlove

I'm in the networking business, and I never, ever stream anything over wifi. All set-tops are hardwired, zero problems.
But I also have an IQrouter to ensure any Bufferbloat is eliminated. So you might be suffering from Bufferbloat. Use the dslreports.com/speedtest from a wired computer (or stand right next to the router) and if get a C or worse bufferbloat grade, time for a better router.

Thanks for your reply. My router & phone point are on the other side of the room. Should a Ethernet cable be going from my Apple box into the router ? Excuse my technical ignorance. ( Also, when my brother is here using his laptop, it’s so bad I can’t use it - he is using his laptop over wi-fi, out of no choice, due to logistics. )

Hi
I am , got occasional stutter and then wondered why after 15 mins it sleeps :rolleyes: :D
Got me noggin thinking and realised the box comes with that set as default...der...it's on never now!!
As for the Wi- Fi, that has calmed down, since initial use.
There is very occasionally, a mili second delay but seems OK now.
So pleased I bought, the not so cheap box, it is opening up so much more, in glorious surround.
:QQlove

Yes, I’m loving the music, like yourself. ( Having a really relaxing session with Boz Scaggs, presently, not personally ! :) ;) )

I didn’t know that. I’ll have to look at the settings. Thinking about it, it’s been periods of about 15 - 20 minutes. Not all the time though.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. My router & phone point are on the other side of the room. Should a Ethernet cable be going from my Apple box into the router ? Excuse my technical ignorance. ( Also, when my brother is here using his laptop, it’s so bad I can’t use it - he is using his laptop over wi-fi, out of no choice, due to logistics. )
Ethernet goes from apple into router. Then seperate cable my AVR into apple.

I am streaming via WiFi without any issues. My router is in basement and my Apple TV is in living room on first floor.

Oh right. Logically, it should be possible, because what’s the point of wi-fi, if this were a constant issue ?

Instead of running a cable, look into a powerline adapter.

Thanks for advice. Will look into that. ( For now, I have switched off the sleep feature that @beerking suggested. )

Does anyone find the “Spatial Audio”, with Dolby Atmos, term, confusing ??

Is it just an overall term for all the music on Apple or does it just apply to Dolby Atmos titles, or is it even something separate to that ??

For example, I clicked through ”Spatial Audio” categories but they’re not all stating Dolby Atmos. Is it me, or could things be much clearer, better explained ?

Is it just an overall term for all the music on Apple or does it just apply to Dolby Atmos titles, or is it even something separate to that ??

For example, I clicked through ”Spatial Audio” categories but they’re not all stating Dolby Atmos. Is it me, or could things be much clearer, better explained ?
Could be but still much better than the Tidal search. At least with Apple you can do a Boolean search of “spatial audio” and results appear to browse.

This may help to explain it in more detail:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/apples-spatial-audio-explained/

Thanks my friend, for the link. Read through it all. So it’s an overall term.

I had clicked a Sam Smith track in the Spatial Audio section & it didn’t state Dolby Atmos, but it sounded spacious, more surround like. There’s nothing I haven’t listened to that hasn’t sounded good, but sometimes through speaker listening, some albums can just sound like very good stereo & less spatial, but still showing all the audio detail. ( If I’m explaining well ! ?? )

🤯 Wait, Boz is in Atmos? If so, which Boz?

No, but still sounding like I’ve never quite heard him, before. Just silky smooth….

You are lucky that the router and ATV are in the same room, so yes, buy a nice long Ethernet cable of sufficient length. There are really nice slim Ethernet cables that are easy to thread under carpets or along baseboards. They come in all kinds of colors as well.

As you can tell when your brother uses their laptop, WiFi is a shared medium, when he is consuming Airtime, the ATVK is waiting, and vise-versa, streaming impacts wifi usage for the others.
But your anecdote also makes me think your line has bufferbloat, so check that per my link above.

For the folks happily streaming over wifi, you likely do not have high levels of local interference or contention, and likely also have a low-latency link already. Some people have to deal with a massive amount of wifi interference, I've seen scan listings showing dozens of AP's, on EACH channel. The listing went on for pages. Even the 5Ghz band had at least one unit on each non-overlapping channel. WiFi 6E can't get here fast enough with its new channels. Those people must use a wired connection to get around the contention/interference.

To put that in audio terms, it is like being at a restaurant where every table has a huge boombox, and they are all playing different types of music at loud levels. Good luck understanding what anyone says at your table.

Can anyone confirm/deny whether Liz Phair "Soberish" is available in Atmos on Apple Music?

Just curious.

Can anyone confirm/deny whether Liz Phair "Soberish" is available in Atmos on Apple Music?

Just curious.
Negative for me old chap on a quick look on my mobile. Cool tune though…

3E0D7446-01E4-4980-AA18-30DB5FE0ADC7.png

*Usually has the Dolby Atmos logo in the middle if it is…

Back