SM V3 teaser

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love the individual volume knobs on the new SM 3. It does SQ and QS, which is all I need.
The v.2 had them, too. What I'd like to see is a master volume knob, such as other decoders had, to adjust the overall output volume of the SM. This would be useful when two stereo amps are being used.

I'm in (partial) agreement with Sonik. I also suspect that TSS was not a major draw for most users (certainly here) and it would be great if it could be replaced with the sort of stereo synthesis mode that Sonik has long championed. But I strongly think that (again for the QQ audience at least) the SQ mode should remain.

I am not at all familiar with V.2 as my only experience with the SM was the first one, V1. So I had no idea that the newer versions had this setting. Maybe it was included for people who maybe just wanted to “test the waters” first kind of a thing before jumping into Quad head first? I do know that a lot of younger listeners are big on headphones and maybe this would be a way to use it with a simple 2-channel system or headphone amp first and then if they liked it go the full multi-channel route?

But I agree with Sonik’s point about the version number thing.

I am not at all familiar with V.2 as my only experience with the SM was the first one, V1. So I had no idea that the newer versions had this setting. Maybe it was included for people who maybe just wanted to “test the waters” first kind of a thing before jumping into Quad head first? I do know that a lot of younger listeners are big on headphones and maybe this would be a way to use it with a simple 2-channel system or headphone amp first and then if they liked it go the full multi-channel route?

But I agree with Sonik’s point about the version number thing.
TSS does not work on headphones, it works with speakers......2

It works with MA, My daughter, not with wife or son. Works with Dave The Bitch, Chris, not with Dawson
As you've said before Chucky - it all depends on the shape of your head! Mine also prevents me from enjoying stereo over headphones and binaural is even worse - just sounds like a phasey mess inside my skull!

One other question/comment... on the SM v2 there is aprrox a -10dB drop in level when swtching to stereo mode. No big deal as adjusting the level after the decoder is easy. But it scares that crap out of if I forget to re-adjust when switching back to a surround mode!!! Has this been fixed on the latest version?

Oh, the intent of the SM 3 was we have run out of stock and needed to get a bunch of new stock for New customers. We have had many requests for optical and it was quick for us to design and prototype it and improve the power supply in the same time. I actually own a V2 myself and have no need to get a V3 as I avoid optical .

One other question/comment... on the SM v2 there is aprrox a -10dB drop in level when swtching to stereo mode. No big deal as adjusting the level after the decoder is easy. But it scares that crap out of if I forget to re-adjust when switching back to a surround mode!!! Has this been fixed on the latest version?
I will remind Dave the Bitch, I thought it was 6 db

I was noticing on page 8 of the SM3 manual that the total degrees in the circle don't add up to 360, am I missing something or is it just an error?

1625587623934.png

I was noticing on page 8 of the SM3 manual that the total degrees in the circle don't add up to 360, am I missing something or is it just an error?

View attachment 68734
Yes the numbers don't add up. I always find it curious that the front speakers are always shown placed so close together with modern 5.1 systems. With the centre speaker you could place them a bit farther apart. I like the rears a bit more forward off to the sides.

So what can this new SM handle via its new SPDIF input. Can it handle 24Bit/96kHz and 24Bit/88.4kHz? Then it is a V3 for me otherwise if it only can cope with up to 48kHz then it is only a V2.5 for me.

Back