Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Fathers Day & Summer Solstice People !

I reconfigure/recalibrated my speakers late last night/early this morning. I realized a while back that I had my ATMOS ceiling speakers misconfigured as front heights/rear heights. They were not in those physical positions but that config allowed Auro3D play back. My Auro3D discs are seldom played but my ATMOS discs are in regular rotation. My ceiling speakers are in the front/rear ceiling positions. I have been worried that this misconfiguration may be altering/warping the playback mix.

So today I started off with the magnificent....

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

1624220829316.jpeg 1624220886204.jpeg

and now I’m listening to...

The Beatles - Abbey Road

1624221138587.jpeg 1624221199655.jpeg

Fantastic ! I do believe it sounds better, more focused, tighter now. And I’ve gotten rid of that little niggle I‘ve had since I realized there was this amp configuration / physical speaker placement mismatch.

I really don’t like this Thread. It’s only because I keep forgetting to use it to Post the Atmos mixes I’m listening to, here, instead of the main Listening To Now (in Surround) Thread. 😁

Gentle Giant - Free Hand

1625446302063.jpeg

Wikipedia
Free Hand is the seventh album by British progressive rock band Gentle Giant. It was released in 1975.

It was Gentle Giant's first album with their new label Chrysalis Records in the UK. It is noted for its high production values, and for a less dissonant, more accessible feel than their previous album The Power and the Glory. It was their highest-charting album in the US and the only one to reach the Top 50 on the Billboard Album Chart.

In addition to the usual stereo version the album was also mixed in 4-channel quadraphonic sound in 1976. The 4-channel mix was not used until 2012 when it finally appeared on DVD with encoding in multichannel LPCM, DTS and Dolby Digital surround sound formats.

A 1990 CD re-issue in the US by One Way Records used an alternate stereo mix. This version revealed some different details in the musical and vocal parts. However, this edition may have actually been a reduction or variation of the 4-channel mix.

Alucard/EMI re-released the CD in 2009, "from the original 1/4-inch tapes through 24bit 96k Hi-Resolution transfer."

I really don’t like this Thread. It’s only because I keep forgetting to use it to Post the Atmos mixes I’m listening to, here, instead of the main Listening To Now (in Surround) Thread. 😁

Well, you know, there are mono, stereo, quad, 5.1 (we call it surround?), Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D. :) What more am I missing?

How is it compared to the 5.1 bluray???
Is Apple Atmos truly worth the upgrade to a system???

Like the other recent Atmos mix done for a title Bob Clearmountain did the 5.1 for (A Bad Think "Lifelike"), he's pretty tough competition I think.

Personally I thought that for both the Bad Think and the Marley titles, Clearmountain's 5.1 mixes sounded far better.

But obviously opinions may differ here.

As far as whether it's worth upgrading a system to Atmos that's a much bigger subject and probably best discussed in a separate thread but again I would personally say yes but the reasoning goes far beyond any one kind of service provider or media player etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back