Overpriced Vintage Equipment: You've gotta be kidding me!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been literally years and years since I have. Maybe 15-20 years??
Actually I listen to almost no radio & no allegiance to various music streamers. But above my garage workbench is an ancient GE portable radio... the kind with a 4" speaker & a telescoping antenna. It's almost always on if I'm tinkering, usually listening to the KC Royals lose again. On the AM airwaves. It's the way God intended. The radio I mean, not the Royals.

Last edited:
That reminds me of the old joke, How can you tell its a DEC engineer with a flat tyre? He's the one moving it from wheel to wheel to see if the problem disappears!
In the seventies I worked at a number of military airports where our company was in partnership with Lockheed Electronics Co. At that time Lockheed were supplying their LEC 16 Minicomputer. I recall that whenever there was a fault on one of the LEC 16’s the resident Lockheed engineer would go out to a giant truck which had dozens of spares of every PCB. He wouldn’t attempt to fault find, he simply worked his way through the equipment racks, swapping all of the boards until he chanced upon a combination that worked. This often resulted in a great pile of 'suspect' boards which may or may not have been faulty (the engineer had no idea). Much to my amazement these were not retested and were simply scrapped. It must have cost a fortune. Us Brits in contrast were simply given a few boxes of spare components by our company and were expected to repair our kit in situ. The Lockheed guys always thought our approach was 'quaint'. But not long after, Lockheed left the computer business – can’t imagine why they didn’t make any money!

Last edited:
So who uses a receiver like this to listen to AM anyway?
Likely not many but back in the day I would think that almost everyone did. In the early and mid seventies all my radio listening was AM and although mono many of those stations were very good! Late seventies saw the rise of FM, no longer reserved only for serious music. AM stereo came and went. AM stations (in Canada at least) started flipping over to FM, leaving the AM band as a wasteland! I used to listen primarily to distant AM stations but now even with a working AM receiver the band is nothing but noise, too much interference from our modern digital devices, I'm afraid. I still occasionally listen to AM in the car when I'm sick of or fed up with stuff they play on FM!

For an asking price like that all the functions should be working properly, even if no one uses the AM, IMHO.

I owned one of those. Black with red corinthian leather interior, a T-bar roof, and a 400 cu in "lean burn" V8. It was my first new car. Oh the memories... It reminded me of the Batmobile.
My friend had a Cordoba, I drove it some 300 miles sharing duties on a long road trip…really nice car.

I laugh because it was considered the small Chrysler. Well, I guess it’s how the line goes: I got me a Chrysler it’s as big as a whale.

I love old Chrysler, always wanted a '57-'63 Imperial, absolute favorite car for me.
57babf5f-edf9-407f-884d-9a7556acce65.jpg

used to joke about my old '67 Camaro that had a souped up 427, Holley double pumper (not stock) that it got 4 gallons per mile :oops:
My 1st car was a '69 Camaro RS convertible. Huge engine & a Holley 3 barrel. Yes, 3. I had to make sure engine was off when filling up or it got ahead of the pump....

Back