Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took resolution to mean the audio; with DVD-A almost completely dormant, it's fairly obvious what you get on a DVD anymore.

Right. A DVD-A can be lossless. So can a bluray. But a DTS DVD isn't. Still better than Dolby Digital though.

If you are using data compression, I think 48/24 is preferable - wasting bits otherwise.

Right. A DVD-A can be lossless. So can a bluray. But a DTS DVD isn't. Still better than Dolby Digital though.

If you are using data compression, I think 48/24 is preferable - wasting bits otherwise.

I do too but the difference is so small I don't care. There will be many other factors that define the quality before you get to format differences.

So, the "bundle" from Burning Shed...those DVD's...do they have the 5.1 mixes on them? What resolution are they?
udiscovermusic claims "HIGH RESOLUTION 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX / NEW STEREO MIX".
https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/*/He-To-He-Who-Am-The-Only-One/70K20000000
What does HIGH RESOLUTION 5.1 mean? Dolby Digital 5.1 like Riverside - Wasteland? They wrote HighRes 5.1 as well. Dissappointing this hires issue was in terms of audio (but not the music)...
Or does it mean DTS9624 5.1? Not hires too.

Is it forbidden (nowadays) to produce a DVD-Audio with mlp and a DVD-V part with DTS and/or DD like those King Crimson DVD-A/Vs ?
Or is it simply so save some bucks?

Is it forbidden (nowadays) to produce a DVD-Audio with mlp and a DVD-V part with DTS and/or DD like those King Crimson DVD-A/Vs ?
Or is it simply so save some bucks?
As a medium DVD-A is sadly dead. The problem is the lack of valid (so legal copies) of supported authoring software, which is what the record companies require. Giancarlo Era (Nosound) has managed to produce one for his solo album using supported software (but 'breaking' the DVD-A/V specification rules, but that is OK), but as people will see the DVD-A menu isn't pretty (the software gives you no choice and can't be modified) but it works - I have tried the test pressing from Optimal.

Just as worryingly is the lack of DVD-A support in newer players. Obsolescence, sucks! I can play my late father's 78s, some of which must be 75+ years old, but I can almost guarantee I wouldn't be able to find a machine to play DVD-As in 75 years, mind you that would make me around 138!

I've asked Mark Powell (the set's producer) to clarify about Blu-Ray in the box and DVD for the 4 smaller reissues.
Interesting, it is maybe possible to ask him some more questions?

Why are the following officially released tracks not on the box set?

1. The 2nd single version of Refugees, a different mix originally released on a 10" single, which was released on CD so far only on the I Phrophesy Disaster compilation.

2. A slightly longer version of the Lighthouse Keepers part The Clot Thickens, only released on the cassette version of Repeat Performance, a compilation which also featured the aforementioned Refugees version. Ok, not of much interest to me, but a real rarity.

3. Theme 1/The Dambuster's March which is the last track from the 23.9.71 BBC In Concert, which is meanwhile also available in similar quality as the other 3 tracks. And that one I really miss.
3b. Are the other 3 tracks of that In Concert session coming from a different source than on the After the Flood compilation?

4. The Shel Talmy mix of The Least We Can Do, which is obviously in an interesting way different, but I can understand that this could be something the band does not want.

5. Was it considered to release at least some tracks from Time Vaults?

6. Was all the BBC stuff also newly remastered?

It is most likely too late now, but I think at least the 2nd Refugees version and the officially unreleased Theme 1/The Dambuster's March should be on this set. Especially the last one is such a lovely version, actually my favourite version from Theme 1.

Last edited:
As a medium DVD-A is sadly dead. The problem is the lack of valid (so legal copies) of supported authoring software, which is what the record companies require. Giancarlo Era (Nosound) has managed to produce one for his solo album using supported software (but 'breaking' the DVD-A/V specification rules, but that is OK), but as people will see the DVD-A menu isn't pretty (the software gives you no choice and can't be modified) but it works - I have tried the test pressing from Optimal.

Just as worryingly is the lack of DVD-A support in newer players. Obsolescence, sucks! I can play my late father's 78s, some of which must be 75+ years old, but I can almost guarantee I wouldn't be able to find a machine to play DVD-As in 75 years, mind you that would make me around 138!

You're right. Unfortunately. There was software for producing DVD-As but it disappeared. Cannot be bought anymore. It's a different topic. May be this was discussed in the forum somewhere else.

Boy I am being so tempted to order the whole box set. I only have Pawn Hearts...on vinyl. I used to have a really thrashed record compilation years ago that had Killer on it which I really liked. It seems if youre in for the 4 5.1 reissues makes sense to get it all for the price being charged.

Great interview here with Stephen about the VdGG project:
Stephen W Tayler Interview
Thanks. Nice interview. This quote is exciting: "I had been trying to convince several artists/bands to consider mixing previous classic albums in surround since the mid 2000s, but nobody seemed interested. These days however there is a lot of interest."

Thanks. Nice interview. This quote is exciting: "I had been trying to convince several artists/bands to consider mixing previous classic albums in surround since the mid 2000s, but nobody seemed interested. These days however there is a lot of interest."
Well, these days fan bases and labels are very interested, but sadly there are still quite a few artists who seem to be hard to convince!

Well, these days fan bases and labels are very interested, but sadly there are still quite a few artists who seem to be hard to convince!
Thanks for trying to convert them! I think a lot of people hear the 'remix' part of 'surround remix' and instantly think it means the music will be butchered like a bad 80s 12" mix. They don't realise that a surround mix will sound the same - but better!

I'm not expecting an answer, but wouldn't it be nice to follow this VDGG set with a Peter Hammill solo Charisma set with 5.1 mixes!! There's 8 Hammill solo Charisma albums and he's an artist who's already been convinced!

Now that you mention it... how about a Shep Pettibone remix of Killer?
Funnily enough, I first noticed the name Stephen W Tayler because he was credited as the remixer of a Chris De Burgh 12" that I bought for my girlfriend. I actually like 12" mixes most of the time and Stephen's mix was well done, I thought. (I'd love to hear some 12" mixes in surround - Fairlight stabs bouncing around the room would be tiring but fun for a while. But maybe not Pettibone doing VDGG!)

Last edited:
Back