TV Streaming Services and their Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hearing chatter this morning on CNBC about the possibility of Comcast buying ROKU; I sure don't relish that idea as I've had Comcast in the past and didn't like the vibe of that company. Whenever I went into to one of their return stations for a cable box; it felt like you were being processed into prison and were about to get strip searched :(

If you missed the announcement on this fine detective show - Final Season 7 for Jazz fan Bosch now playing on Amazon.
*need me some Crate & Barrel especially

BOSCH.jpg

Bosch sound.jpg

In the mid-80s on UK TV a drama about a Jazz loving woodwork teacher, and local council corruption! The Beiderbecke Affair (TV Mini Series 1985) - IMDb We knew how to have 'edgy' drama back then :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 68445

Firstly I should say I fell in love with British TV when I fell in love with Mrs. Peel in the mid 60's. I still watch more Brit mainstream series than I do American. But when I read about Beiderbecke I can't help but think about two things:

Is this the kind of show where everybody talks a lot and then something exciting almost happens? But they go back to talking?

Or is this the kind of show where the audio is so low level & muffled it doesn't make any difference if they are talking or not? ๐Ÿคฃ

Firstly I should say I fell in love with British TV when I fell in love with Mrs. Peel in the mid 60's. I still watch more Brit mainstream series than I do American. But when I read about Beiderbecke I can't help but think about two things:

Is this the kind of show where everybody talks a lot and then something exciting almost happens? But they go back to talking?

Or is this the kind of show where the audio is so low level & muffled it doesn't make any difference if they are talking or not? ๐Ÿคฃ
If I remember correctly it was lots of talking, some jazz, more talking, some jazz, lots of murmurings about a council conspiracy, ............ad finitum!๐Ÿคฃ

An article on the BBC website about streaming payments - the record companies and the streaming company win big time, not the artist unless they are massive.

MPs call for complete reset of music streaming to ensure fair pay for artists - BBC News

1626359912368.png

1626359635861.png

The thing to look at is how much they are paid even for selling CDs, when ยฃ29k is about the average salary in the UK. So ยฃ0.0029/US$0.004 per stream or a whooping ยฃ0.29/US$0.40 per CD sale! Personally I think the BPI is wrong, there is very limited 'investment' the artist is charged for it all one way or another.

An article on the BBC website about streaming payments - the record companies and the streaming company win big time, not the artist unless they are massive.
Not only is it a staggeringly unfair business model, to make matters morally worse, streaming is not even an environmentally friendly way to deliver content. All those millions of Petabytes of video and music are hosted on vast data farms with massive CO2 footprints.

Finished the LOKI shows for this season (more coming for season 2) and it was one strange ride. Yes, about time that a pruned variant Alligator LOKI from another splintered time line, have his own song!

Ted Lasso season 2 starts on Apple TV next week (July 23rd) and I couldn't be more excited. The first season was probably the best series I've watched in the last few years, certainly the best since Community and The Office ended.

When I saw the trailer for the first season last year, I was kind of underwhelmed, I thought "oh ok, it's like a soccer version of the movie Major League" but the trailer doesn't do it justice at all - I guess you'd call it a comedy, but it's so much more than just funny, it's incredibly well written, the characters are all well-developed and the story is superb - heartwarming and uplifting, but without being saccharine and cloying. At this stage of my life I'm the kind of person who's mostly dead inside, but I found myself getting emotional (in a positive way) at some point or another (and for different reasons) during almost every episode. And as someone who lived in the UK for quite a while, a lot of the "fish out of water" element really resonated with me, not to mention having lived on both sides of the Atlantic (and with in-laws in the US) that the portrayals of all the characters are, to use a British expression, "spot on". This isn't some crappy American production making stupid "ha ha British people drink tea and have bad teeth" jokes, nor is it a British production doing the same about Americans. I know the show is run by Bill Lawrence (who was behind Scrubs some years back) and I don't know what his history with the UK is but between him and his writers there's a clear knowledge and deep understanding of both British and American culture. And while it is a show about a soccer team (and it doesn't hurt if you know the game, or anything about British "football") the themes are universal enough that you don't have to know the sport to enjoy it.

Like I said, the trailers don't really do it justice, but this is the trailer for Season 2. If you haven't tried season 1 and you're looking for something to watch, give it a go - I've seen more than one reviewer say that if you give the first episode a chance, you'll know by the end if it's for you or not.

and record anything you wanted to VHS.
Just for fun, I connected the HDMI out from my PC to an HDMI > [NTSC]baseband video/audio converter > VHS.

I sometimes start a program on HBOmax on my PC after I'm done for the day and record it to VHS (I don't have any test signals, but it seems to me that the surround sound is converted to Dolby Surround [played back from the Hi-Fi tracks thru a DPL decoder]).

Long Live VHS.

Kirk Bayne

Tonight watching one of our favorite hosts on PBS, Lucy Worsley OBE, a British historian, author, curator, and television presenter. This show tonight and others by her.

LW.jpg

Back