More Gentle Giant in 5.1 coming - Free Hand, Interview and The Missing Piece

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean 'up to'?

:rolleyes:
Is this going to be a new tenet in foolish audiophile religion? It's like saying "Ultraviolet from my TV! YESSSSSS!!!"

The only people who really benefit from mixing LFE like that are musicians who can isolate the LFE channel and use it to learn parts.

On your home system your bass management and/or AVR LPF is going to filter out everything above 80, 120 or 250 Hz. You don't want or need 'pure bass and drums' i.e full range, from your subwoofer (or being doubled in your mains , if you redirect LFE to mains)
Or 50hz where mine is set.

Amazon is restocking. My copy arrives July 13.
"roundmedia" a seller on amazon.ca just shipped mine yesterday and now it appears that they have no more stock. Should get it in a few days as this retailer is 100km's away from me. Amazon itself is showing in stock on July 14th.

Last edited:
Like always, I ripped the Blu-Ray and like last time (LTE3), I found an Easter Egg!

Go to Instrumental Mixes -> Track Select -> Just The Same and press Right and you'll get to Just The Same (Outtake)

Is that the only one? Have you found any on the prior GG releases?

Is that the only one? Have you found any on the prior GG releases?
I found out I'm not really into Gentle Giant other than Free Hand. I bought Three Piece Suite and was disappointed, so I listened to Octopus and The Power And The Glory to see if it was worth buying and I decided against it. There are no easter egg that I know of on Three Piece Suite.

I grew impatient waiting for my copy from jpc, so picked up a copy for only $19.99 at Record Den. I’ll give my nephew the copy from jpc once it arrives. He loves Free Hand. JPC shipped it immediately but it is now stuck somewhere in the US. So far, I am very impressed. Mr Wilson has done it again!!

Like always, I ripped the Blu-Ray and like last time (LTE3), I found an Easter Egg!

Go to Instrumental Mixes -> Track Select -> Just The Same and press Right and you'll get to Just The Same (Outtake)
Thanks, I was going to ask that question.
I found it the hard way, as one track in a separated channel showing up while ripping with DAE.
It really came out of nowehere, nice instrumental version with high audio quality.
No finger clicks, it doesn't fade out so it is about 30 s longer and some guitar parts are played by Kerry.

Received my copy today and it will not play passed the copyright notice - just a black screen and no menu controls. This is the same authoring error as the Chris Squire Bluray so anyone with an older player will not be able to play this. So dissapointed....

I have the same issue with my player (Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD). This is the first time I've experienced this type of problem. Very frustrating.

I found out I'm not really into Gentle Giant other than Free Hand. I bought Three Piece Suite and was disappointed, so I listened to Octopus and The Power And The Glory to see if it was worth buying and I decided against it. There are no easter egg that I know of on Three Piece Suite.

These albums became beloved of fans in their original stereo mixes, and I suggest you try those, rather than judging based on surround mixes done decades later.

(This is general advice, not just for GG)

I listened today the Atmos tracks and the 5.1 DTS HD Mstr tracks, highly enjoyable.
Before my vote I am going to do a backwards progression, 4.0 then 5.1, then Atmos, very fun music to listen to, I kept hearing XTC even though I was listening to Gentle Giant.
Still screen shots on Atmos tracks, moving pictures on 5.1, wonder why that is?

These albums became beloved of fans in their original stereo mixes, and I suggest you try those, rather than judging based on surround mixes done decades later.

(This is general advice, not just for GG)
I listen to the music first, then to the surround mixes. For Three Piece Suite, the music is so-so and the surround mixes are good to my ears. I'm not too difficult on surround mixes; I find that some mixes not liked by the members here are OK to my ears. So I'm just not a Gentle Giant fan.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have no problem with your like or dislike of certain music. I think our personal honesty is the best policy, after all it is just a little internet forum and the sole purpose of any forum is to be able to express our likes and dislikes as we choose, whether it is educated or uneducated by others standards.
I can't tell you how many discs I have purchased that this QQ forum was all hot on and I purchased just to go, UGH.

The solution to that is to not buy based on QQ 'hotness', but on what you might find interesting based on what you already like.

I agree. I base my choices solely on whether I like the music, not on how good the mix is. As a result I have a relatively small collection, but every title I own is loved and gets listened to. I would never buy a title just because of a stellar multichannel mix.

I would never buy a title just because of a stellar multichannel mix.
I do, unless it's something I really can't stand like rap or hip-hop.
I've purchased a few classical ones even just to support the multich scene when they weren't too pricey. I look at it kinda like charity to encourage more immersive recording.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my player (Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD). This is the first time I've experienced this type of problem. Very frustrating.
Same problem on Oppo 83. Anyone found a solution, even with manual structure edits?

Back