More Gentle Giant in 5.1 coming - Free Hand, Interview and The Missing Piece

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn't a single currently available Cambridge component that even remotely compares to any Oppo player. The only thing that comes close is the discontinued CXUHD, which is a universal player like the Oppo, and uses the same Mediatek platform, but the CXUHD doesn't contain any DAC onboard. It is a disc transport only.

So, exactly which Cambridge component is a "rebadged" Oppo?

There isn't a single currently available Cambridge component that even remotely compares to any Oppo player. The only thing that comes close is the discontinued CXUHD, which is a universal player like the Oppo, and uses the same Mediatek platform, but the CXUHD doesn't contain any DAC onboard. It is a disc transport only.

So, exactly which Cambridge component is a "rebadged" Oppo?
I think my comment was valid 5 years ago (or more?) with the Cambridge Azur 650BD/651BD and I haven't looked into it since because of the Sony UDP-X800 (which came out in 2017?)

EDIT: it was 10 years ago that Cambridge launched the Azur 650BD/651BD

The Cambridge CXU was similar in size to the Oppo 103, but the sound was upgraded (IMO) by going to the Wolfson DACs .
Different sound character for sure.
Was it a “rebadged” Oppo? Not in my opinion but definitely similar being based on the same chassis. Primare and PS Audio players were also based on Oppos.

Amazon canceled the last time i tried to order this and redelivered it back to them.. Gonna try again.. coming this Sunday.

Steven Wilson has really outdone himself on this one - the 'all-around'-s in "On Reflection" bounce from speaker-to-speaker around the room :)
Over a year later, I just had to share how the intro to "On Reflection" (sans center channel) looks on the quadscope :)

They're fun aren't they? Is there something crazy in They Only Come Out At Night that would look cool? 🤔
It gives me a good excuse to listen back to every disc in my collection with a swirling pan :ROFLMAO:

The coolest patterns I've seen so far are on Santana's "Black Magic Woman" & "No One To Depend On", Ultravox's "New Europeans", The Flaming Lips' "It's Summertime", and Billy Paul's "War Of The Gods".

It gives me a good excuse to listen back to every disc in my collection with a swirling pan :ROFLMAO:

The coolest patterns I've seen so far are on Santana's "Black Magic Woman" & "No One To Depend On", Ultravox's "New Europeans", The Flaming Lips' "It's Summertime", and Billy Paul's "War Of The Gods".
how do any of these pan out on your scope?

Bette M. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy,
EJ: Madman Across The Water (Mick Ronson version),
EJ: Screw You,
EJ: All The Girls Love Alice,
Rick Wakeman: Merlin The Magician,
Grover Washington, Jr.: Let It Flow (5.1),
Fredgar W: last 3 tracks off Jasmine Nightdreams (should be lots of cool horsehoe patterns!),
Toto IV: Lovers In The Night, Africa,
Doobies: Natural Thing (5.1),
Kool & The Gang: Celebration (Atmos),
Redbone: One More Time,
Chase: Pure Music (incl. Weird Song, Bochawa..)

Over a year later, I just had to share how the intro to "On Reflection" (sans center channel) looks on the quadscope :)

Wow. Freehand is one that came in last year with a whole batch of purchases, and also right before I set up my mixing system for Atmos, so I never gave it a good listen. Your post reminded me to pull it off the shelf. I'd honestly forgotten it was even Atmos.

I think this is going to be my new Atmos demo disc. So much use of the heights and so much active panning. I never really enjoyed the Quad. This version is an adventure.

Thanks for sharing the scope!

I think this is going to be my new Atmos demo disc. So much use of the heights and so much active panning.
The 360-degree pans in the height array seems to have become a trademark of SW's Atmos mixes, every one I've heard so far has elements like keys, guitars, or even vocals swirling around up there. Those extra two heights really make a difference!

So I finally got around to ripping this disc, and I'm wondering if there is a way to join the video of the 5.1 stream with the audio of the Atmos stream. If I figure it out, I'll share. If someone else already knows how and shares, I'll be grateful.

So I finally got around to ripping this disc, and I'm wondering if there is a way to join the video of the 5.1 stream with the audio of the Atmos stream. If I figure it out, I'll share. If someone else already knows how and shares, I'll be grateful.
Are the lengths identical?

Are the lengths identical?
Not quite. The Atmos MKV is 16 seconds longer, and it's not just extra at the beginning or end. Still might be able to do it.

There might be longer gaps between songs on the Atmos stream. If so, splitting up both streams into their chapters might make it easier.

Last edited:

I did it with just MKVToolNix and generating one file for each song. Fortunately, each Atmos song is a single .M2TS file in the Blu-Ray.
I had to setup a 'delay' to sync with the video in each song. Not perfect, but it is acceptable.

Finally, I did merge all files in a single .MKV with chapters. Using only MKVToolNix.

What I don't remember is how I did cut the video track for each song. Perhaps I used the Pinnacle Studio that I use for my family videos.

But... in the end, when I listen Free Hand in Atmos I prefer not beeing distracted by the video and close my eyes... to perceive better the 'movement' of the sounds... :ROFLMAO:

I did it with just MKVToolNix and generating one file for each song. Fortunately, each Atmos song is a single .M2TS file in the Blu-Ray.
I had to setup a 'delay' to sync with the video in each song. Not perfect, but it is acceptable.

Finally, I did merge all files in a single .MKV with chapters. Using only MKVToolNix.

What I don't remember is how I did cut the video track for each song. Perhaps I used the Pinnacle Studio that I use for my family videos.

But... in the end, when I listen Free Hand in Atmos I prefer not beeing distracted by the video and close my eyes... to perceive better the 'movement' of the sounds... :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I've already extracted the audio from both streams to FLAC and M4A files, which I'll usually use to listen. I just thought it would be neat to have the animation with the Atmos mix.

Yeah, I've already extracted the audio from both streams to FLAC and M4A files, which I'll usually use to listen. I just thought it would be neat to have the animation with the Atmos mix.
I think I did everything with just MKVToolNIX.

Input: original files from Blu-Ray (ripped to files) to MKVToolNIX.
Select the video and audio tracks needed

Output: Splitting : after audio duration. This way you can cut and control the individual output file for each song.

Start Multiplexing... have individual mkv songs with Atmos. Generate manualy the Chapter file. Multiplex again concatenating all songs with the chapter editor to have a single MKV file.

But as I said before, that was good for 'learning' how to use the tool, and prove to myself that I was capable of doing it. But for enjoy listening Atmos I usually do without watching the video :LOL:

Back