Nilsson Schmilsson on Surround SACD from Dutton Vocalion?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Jon....forgot to take my daily dose of PREVAGEN ....PLUM FORGOT!
Nilsson Schmilsson I do consider an A-List rock title. Not sure I'd call Art Garfunkel "rock" but more like Adult Contemporary / Pop.

So yeah, calling A-List albums is a matter of opinion, Art Garfunkel being a rocker less so.

Anyway, pop that Prevagen, and let's hear about those killer surprises coming out like right about now.

Nilsson Schmilsson I do consider an A-List rock title. Not sure I'd call Art Garfunkel "rock" but more like Adult Contemporary / Pop.

So yeah, calling A-List albums is a matter of opinion, Art Garfunkel being a rocker less so.

Anyway, pop that Prevagen, and let's hear about those killer surprises coming out like right about now.

R.a0cfec322c8dd499ccd37a9d11f68da0

Well, anyway, we did receive another QUADBLOCKED title from MoFi in glorious SACD stereo, that could've, SHOULD'VE been a D~V QUAD SACD, namely

See the source image

And SANS PREVAGEN those "killer surprises," as I recall, were unfounded rumors that D~V was quite possiby going to form a 'partnership' with Warner/Rhino to start releasing all those nascent QUAD masters stagnating in the vaults!

R.b9222106e3e4029f1b799a8d05d2139a

Last edited:
Well, anyway, we did receive another QUADBLOCKED title from MoFi in glorious SACD stereo, that could've, SHOULD'VE been a D~V QUAD SACD, namely

See the source image

And SANS PREVAGEN those "killer surprises," as I recall, were unfounded rumors that D~V was quite possiby going to form a 'partnership' with Warner/Rhino to start releasing all those nascent QUAD masters stagnating in the vaults!
There are several variations of this album. Enough to do a fan-made Super Deluxe Edition.

The original gold disc MFSL CD had an extra intro part on I think the first song (would need to confirm the track).
There is an extended CD with bonus tracks / demos (I think it is a US reissue)
There is also an import from the EU with a different set of bonus tracks / demos
Then there is the reel-to-reel of the quad mix of this classic album.

One can string all this together and come up with a three-disc DELUXE version:

1. Original audiophile with rare intro
2. Many bonus tracks / demos
3. Quadraphonic Mix.

Audio Fidelity likely could have pulled off the quad mix of this album while they had the tapes out for that one quad track. But they must have felt Fresh Aire or Labelle was going to move more units. I don't think MFSL had done their SACD yyet.

There are several variations of this album. Enough to do a fan-made Super Deluxe Edition.

The original gold disc MFSL CD had an extra intro part on I think the first song (would need to confirm the track).
There is an extended CD with bonus tracks / demos (I think it is a US reissue)
There is also an import from the EU with a different set of bonus tracks / demos
Then there is the reel-to-reel of the quad mix of this classic album.

One can string all this together and come up with a three-disc DELUXE version:

1. Original audiophile with rare intro
2. Many bonus tracks / demos
3. Quadraphonic Mix.

Audio Fidelity likely could have pulled off the quad mix of this album while they had the tapes out for that one quad track. But they must have felt Fresh Aire or Labelle was going to move more units. I don't think MFSL had done their SACD yyet.
I don't get it. What does Mo-Fi have against surround? Could they not realize they could, quite possibly, sell more copies by including a surround mix on their SACD's? But we do have D-V, who turn out some really excellent discs. Maybe "Nilsson Schmilsson" could be paired up with "Duit On Mon Dei" as a twofer. RCA is, after all, part of Sony Music...

I personally would prefer a Dutton Vocalion pairing of "Nilsson Schmilsson" with "Pussy Cats", and fwiw there is the "Lennon" touch all over the Pussy Cats album.

I'd even go as far to say that that album is John's third quad release.

:unsure:

I don't get it. What does Mo-Fi have against surround? Could they not realize they could, quite possibly, sell more copies by including a surround mix on their SACD's? But we do have D-V, who turn out some really excellent discs. Maybe "Nilsson Schmilsson" could be paired up with "Duit On Mon Dei" as a twofer. RCA is, after all, part of Sony Music...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I had read elsewhere on the forum that the major labels charge separate licensing fees for variations of the same album on one disc - MoFi probably doesn't feel there's enough of a customer base for multichannel to justify their paying that extra amount per disc.

I'd buy Nilsson Schmilsson for an 8th time. I already have Q8, CD-4 promo, US CD, MoFi Gold, UK CD (bonus tracks), MoFi 2ch SACD, and 17 CD RCA Albums Collection (3 entire CD's of rare and unreleased, in addition to some bonus tracks tacked on to album CD's). There are perhaps 99 rare & unreleased tracks in the 17 CD box.

My fave and most listened to copy is the CD-4. The one copy I couldn't possibly part with. Fantastic music & Quad mix. I'd give it a 12, even though you can't dance to many of these tracks.

I believe that there are 3 different versions of "Jump Into the Fire". All are on official releases.

I'd buy Nilsson Schmilsson for an 8th time. I already have Q8, CD-4 promo, US CD, MoFi Gold, UK CD (bonus tracks), MoFi 2ch SACD, and 17 CD RCA Albums Collection (3 entire CD's of rare and unreleased, in addition to some bonus tracks tacked on to album CD's). There are perhaps 99 rare & unreleased tracks in the 17 CD box.

My fave and most listened to copy is the CD-4. The one copy I couldn't possibly part with. Fantastic music & Quad mix. I'd give it a 12, even though you can't dance to many of these tracks.

I believe that there are 3 different versions of "Jump Into the Fire. All are on official releases.
"Jump Into the Fire" is my absolute favorite Nilsson song and "Nilsson Schmilsson" my favourite Nilsson album. "Jump Into the Fire" is one of those tracks that I would choose to use to demonstrate quad, with it cranked up!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I had read elsewhere on the forum that the major labels charge separate licensing fees for variations of the same album on one disc - MoFi probably doesn't feel there's enough of a customer base for multichannel to justify their paying that extra amount per disc.
It's more of an issue decided by rules and laws in particular countries. A US company has to pay double royalties for an album issued on a high-res disc (Blu-Ray, SACD, DVD-A) paired with a CD version. That's why almost all of these surround releases are coming here as imports.

I personally would prefer a Dutton Vocalion pairing of "Nilsson Schmilsson" with "Pussy Cats", and fwiw there is the "Lennon" touch all over the Pussy Cats album.

I'd agree with that! "Duit On Mon Dei" sadly captures the early stages of Nilsson's creative and commercial decline. Too bad there are no multichannel mixes of his earlier RCA Victor albums.

Back