Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A flagship player without Sabre DACs for the audio outs? I'll pass.
The 200 does have balanced analogue out on XLR outputs as well as the 7.1 RCA & HDMI options.
The DAC are Texas Instruments Burr-Brown Audio PCM169 which is sadly a delta-sigma chip, but most are these days and it is frankly not as good as I might have hoped for given the 8 channel signal to noise of 113dB with a THD+N of only -94dB (I have seen better specs, but in reality a noise floor at -94dB is as close to being inaudible as you will ever get on an unbalanced output) but Sabre's would have been better I think.
The UHD side is handled by a Mediatek MTK8581 SoC
It's internal CPU is handled with a Quad core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
the rest of the graphics handling is care of an ARM Mali-T860 MP2 GPU

The 200 does have balanced analogue out on XLR outputs as well as the 7.1 RCA & HDMI options.
The DAC are Texas Instruments Burr-Brown Audio PCM169 which is sadly a delta-sigma chip, but most are these days and it is frankly not as good as I might have hoped for given the 8 channel signal to noise of 113dB with a THD+N of only -94dB (I have seen better specs, but in reality a noise floor at -94dB is as close to being inaudible as you will ever get on an unbalanced output) but Sabre's would have been better I think.
The UHD side is handled by a Mediatek MTK8581 SoC
It's internal CPU is handled with a Quad core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
the rest of the graphics handling is care of an ARM Mali-T860 MP2 GPU

Interesting. I was messing around yesterday trying to do some A/B, level-matched, comparisons between a straight pass through of the analog outs from my Oppo 205 vs. post-processing through my Lexicon processor. The Lexicon has delta-sigma DACs (circa 2003-2006) and the Oppo has ESS DACs. Switching back and forth between ANALOG BYPASS (the ESS DACs) and STANDARD (the output from the Oppo analog outs but reprocessed through the Lexicon DACs), I could not detect a difference.

No doubt that my aging ears ain't what they used to be, but I definitely heard no audible difference.

Interesting. I was messing around yesterday trying to do some A/B, level-matched, comparisons between a straight pass through of the analog outs from my Oppo 205 vs. post-processing through my Lexicon processor. The Lexicon has delta-sigma DACs (circa 2003-2006) and the Oppo has ESS DACs. Switching back and forth between ANALOG BYPASS (the ESS DACs) and STANDARD (the output from the Oppo analog outs but reprocessed through the Lexicon DACs), I could not detect a difference.

No doubt that my aging ears ain't what they used to be, but I definitely heard no audible difference.

And even if you did, there's no way of knowing if it was as a result of the DACs! - there are a lot of other, probably more significant, circuit differences in those two signal paths you were comparing.

I have an x800 and just tested that it can play multichannel flac via DLNA. Works for both 96k and 88.2k sampling rates.

Oh that’s great to know! Do you by any chance use JRiver Media Center? I’m curious if it will recognize the x800/x800M2 as a DLNA renderer and push files to it, or if I’d have to go through the x800’s interface.

Thanks!

Oh that’s great to know! Do you by any chance use JRiver Media Center? I’m curious if it will recognize the x800/x800M2 as a DLNA renderer and push files to it, or if I’d have to go through the x800’s interface.

Thanks!
Sorry, I do not use JRiver so couldn't say. I just use oShare media server on a Win10 PC and navigate to the files using the x800's interface.

Thanks!

I've always gone through the Sony's interface, but just now tested it from JRiver. I didn't even have a name set for the x800, but after doing so, the x800 appeared as a play option for JRiver. I pushed a 5.1 flac from my PC software to the x800 and it played back as multichannel. (Edit: And same results via the app from my phone)

At the price of US$1700 a Sabre is to be expected if you want to claim some kind of state of the art audio title. But given the ongoing chip fabrication shortage perhaps the options are limited.

Last edited:
At the price of US$1700 a Sabre is to be expected if you want to claim some kind of state of the art audio title. But given the ongoing chip fabrication shortage perhaps the options are limited.
The Oppo 95/105/205 contain 2 Sabre DACs each and didn't cost $1700 when new.

What are the audible differences in sound quality between the Burr Brown delta-sigma DAC (24 bit 192 kHz) and the ESS Sabre DAC (32 bit 768 kHz)? Like I said in an earlier post, I can use either or both in my audio system chain. Is the Sabre "smoother"? The Burr Brown "edgier"? More "detailed"? What is it?

What are the audible differences in sound quality between the Burr Brown delta-sigma DAC (24 bit 192 kHz) and the ESS Sabre DAC (32 bit 768 kHz)? Like I said in an earlier post, I can use either or both in my audio system chain. Is the Sabre "smoother"? The Burr Brown "edgier"? More "detailed"? What is it?

Hard for me to say given I only own one of those. But one benefit of the 32 bit aspect of the Sabra DAC is you can have a simple digital volume control that doesn't do terrible things to the sound quality. It has much more headroom to drop bits off the bottom without losing any resolution.

Other than that the rest of circuitry around the DAC matters as much as the DAC itself. We know that Oppo did a good job of that on the 95/105/205. We have no idea how well Reavon have done that.

What are the audible differences in sound quality between the Burr Brown delta-sigma DAC (24 bit 192 kHz) and the ESS Sabre DAC (32 bit 768 kHz)?
In a large majority of cases where different DAC's have been listened to under bias controlled, blind, precisely level matched conditions, the ability to detect audible differences disappears. Not all sound the same and the differences can be determined thru measurement. I like what a friend of mine at ASR said some time back.

"Not all DACs sound the same.
Well designed DACs adhering to the sampling theorem will all measure differently.
Well designed DACs adhering to the sampling theorem will not sound the same when there are level differences present. Not in a blind test and not in sighted test.
Well designed DACs adhering to the sampling theorem when compared level matched can NOT be told apart in blind test.
Well designed DACs adhering to the sampling theorem when compared level matched CAN be told apart in sighted tests.
Well designed DACs NOT adhering to the sampling theorem when compared level matched might well be told apart compared to one that DO adhere to the sampling theorem in blind test and can be told apart in a sighted test."

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ence-in-dac-sound-desirable.15767/post-504179

The $76 ea. Sabre is State of The Art, the $4.60 ea. B/B is a relic.

https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ES9038PRO-Datasheet-v3.7.pdf
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1690.pdf

Last edited:
Back