Parasound P7 Preamp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case you decide to look for a replacement, I recently searched for an AVR/preamp, and found this one to be the most affordable. It has an EQ for all the speakers, plus ATMOS. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/marant...ight-heos-alexa-black/6431232.p?skuId=6431232
I was thinking about a Marantz to begin with !! The one I was looking at was the model up from the one you show. It has a set of multichannel analog inputs. I was talked out of it by the guy at the hi-fi shop telling me I wouldn't be happy with the sound from any AVR unit because of all the processing. He pushed me toward the P7. ......... I should have followed my own instincts !!! ......... I guess I could always put the P7 up for sale & get most of my $ back. ........ Sometimes a education's expensive, even at the age of 62 ...... LOL

Yeah, that AVR for $1200 doesn't have multi-channel inputs, unfortunately. That is a non-started for me because I use a Surround Master. By the way, since we are talking about new processors, I have question about my OPPO 205 interface that I will be posting in an OPPO 205 thread.

Actually, they do sell Marantz, that's why I was a bit taken a back when he said all AVR units have poor sound quality. Most of what they have is home theatre !
Still, I'll bet there is a larger profit margin on the Parasound (+ future MCH amp purchase perhaps?) than a Marantz AVR. The Denon AVRs (Marantz's sister brand) typically measure quite well. Most high end shops have to offer a line of AVRs in order to stay competitive. They couldn't survive on only selling uber expensive high end components. There is not enough volume in it unless they are in a very large metro area. That shop used to push top tier Sony (what was their elite badge name?), and NAD back in the day IIRC.

The Parasound's actual sound quality should be quite good and reflect the sound quality of whatever source you are feeding it. But there is something to be said for the bigger, more dramatic impact a decent DSP room EQ setup can provide vs the subtle nuance you may or may not hear from a great sounding analog section like the Parasound.

After carefully reading the manual, I bought a used Parasound P7 this morning...a late production circa 2019. Hopefully, mine won't lock up like Ralph's unit.

It appears to be a rather handy device for my purposes:

1. Allows direct connection from the 7.1 analog outputs of my Oppo 205 with it's ESS Sabre DACS. Although using the HDMI output of the Oppo is handy, it places one at the mercy of whatever DACs are in the AVR. I can use the Oppo to handle all the codecs needed for my 7.1 system either played via disc or the ARC HDMI connection to my TV.

2. Allows direct connection of the output of my Surround Master v2 to the second set of 7.1 inputs.

3. Should I choose to repair my Lexicon RV8 to take advantage of Logic7 (Or get another AVR), I can connect its output to that second set of multichannel inputs and use the Theater Bypass mode.

4. I can also now utilize the 2-channel balanced outputs of the Oppo for a "pure" signal path when listening to straight stereo.

5. Should I ever decide to add a turntable, the P7 has a very nice phono preamp.

The one caveat I have is those tone controls only working on the front channels. However, I usually make permanent tonal adjustment to the ripped files with Audacity if needed.

[Edit: I even got the color I wanted: black.]

Another thing that's weird with the P7 is you can't independently adjust the level of the center channel !!! ......Don't understand that at all. It seemed in their quest to have such a clear "signal path", some important features were inexplicitly left out !!

Another thing that's weird with the P7 is you can't independently adjust the level of the center channel !!! ......Don't understand that at all. It seemed in their quest to have such a clear "signal path", some important features were inexplicitly left out !!
ar surround and I both have an Oppo 205 and, if needed, the level of each speaker can be adjusted through the Oppo.

After carefully reading the manual, I bought a used Parasound P7 this morning...a late production circa 2019. Hopefully, mine won't lock up like Ralph's unit.

It appears to be a rather handy device for my purposes:

1. Allows direct connection from the 7.1 analog outputs of my Oppo 205 with it's ESS Sabre DACS. Although using the HDMI output of the Oppo is handy, it places one at the mercy of whatever DACs are in the AVR. I can use the Oppo to handle all the codecs needed for my 7.1 system either played via disc or the ARC HDMI connection to my TV.

2. Allows direct connection of the output of my Surround Master v2 to the second set of 7.1 inputs.

3. Should I choose to repair my Lexicon RV8 to take advantage of Logic7 (Or get another AVR), I can connect its output to that second set of multichannel inputs and use the Theater Bypass mode.

4. I can also now utilize the 2-channel balanced outputs of the Oppo for a "pure" signal path when listening to straight stereo.

5. Should I ever decide to add a turntable, the P7 has a very nice phono preamp.

The one caveat I have is those tone controls only working on the front channels. However, I usually make permanent tonal adjustment to the ripped files with Audacity if needed.

[Edit: I even got the color I wanted: black.]

A BLACK P7 ... VERY COOL! I think you'll love it. A recent power surge at my house re~engaged the P7 so everything works perfectly fine. The nice thing, AR, you'll be able to output your SACDs DSD out ........... not really a major improvement over PCM out but a subtle refinement nonetheless.

Let it break in. Sweetness......takes time!

I've had mine for years and I'm very satisfied with it.I don't miss center volum becouse I never use it.I like the front-rear balance and use it often when I miss some output in the rears.:cool:

I have a question for fellow P7 owners. Does yours have heat vents on the top? When I ordered mine the sales photo was as below, but when it arrived the top was sealed, and no vents anywhere. I've often wondered whether the photo with vents was never actually the final production model.
p7_high_angle_black.jpg

I have a question for fellow P7 owners. Does yours have heat vents on the top? When I ordered mine the sales photo was as below, but when it arrived the top was sealed, and no vents anywhere. I've often wondered whether the photo with vents was never actually the final production model.
View attachment 69255

The two P7 pre~amps I have are both sealed on top as well. My pre~amp is ON all the time and if you touch the top it's cool to the touch.

Lance, I very much appreciate you pointing out the oddities in the P7; and others considering a purchase should take heed. Although it is minimalist, I did a careful due diligence on the unit and it suits my needs. One of the things I really like about it is that Theater Bypass mode. All of these new AVRs get substantial tech changes every year..."throw away" gear...and are so digitally complex that they baffle their own techs. So if I ever want to go to an Atmos 32.16.6 (or heaven knows what they will come up with next) I can tack the AVR onto the front end of the P7 yet keep my core system in tact.

View attachment 69255
The one that I have coming has a sealed top. According to the spec sheet from the seller (a shop) it is 2 years old.

View attachment 69255
Both of mine are sealed.

That looks like a standard equipment case sold for manufacture purposes. They probably have vented and unvented versions of the case top.

A pre-amp probably does not need any venting.

Question for P7 owners: How much ventilation space are you leaving above the P7? (Mine is in a cabinet that is open on all four sides [Edit: With about 2 inches (50 cm) clear space above it.] An Oppo 205 will be on the shelf above it.) Thanks.

You will all love this...My P7 arrived this afternoon, and it came with a blue silk bag around it. I showed the bag to my wife, she reaches for it and says, "That will make a good laundry bag." I pull it back away from her with a look of horror on my face!

Last edited:
Question for P7 owners: How much ventilation space are you leaving above the P7? (Mine is in a cabinet that is open on all four sides [Edit: With about 2 inches (50 cm) clear space above it.] An Oppo 205 will be on the shelf above it.) Thanks.

You will all love this...My P7 arrived this afternoon, and it came with a blue silk bag around it. I showed the bag to my wife, she reaches for it and says, "That will make a good laundry bag." I pull it back away from her with a look of horror on my face!

Congrats AR, our very favorite Joisey Boy on your purchase of a Parasound P7 ALL analogue pre~amp and your new blue silk 'laundry bag' for your dirty socks!

The P7 runs cool to the touch even when left on all the time so a 2" clearance or to be MORE precise 50 cm, should be fine.

Enjoy the pristine sonics from both your P7 and the OPPO 205...the LAST and BEST of the Universal WAR HORSES, which BTW, decodes MQA ..... Hmmmm!

Last edited:
Question for P7 owners: How much ventilation space are you leaving above the P7?
Mine never gets hot (even warm) and it's typically on 8 hours a day (which resonates with it having no vents). Mine's closed on the sides, open front and back, but still has about a 4-inch gap above it to the underside of the shelf above.

BTW, why not let her have it as a laundry bag? Not as though you're going to use it if you keep the P7. And it can give you leverage for your next audiophile purchase, e.g. "Honey, I wanna buy a Benchmark AHB2, and remember ... last time you got a great laundry bag!!" :p

I have my AVR placed directly on the P7,no problem with that.

Back