Music Media Helper (Tools for Multichannel Audio & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed an error in the MMH PDF on user defined channel remixing:

correction below:

The standard channel ordering in a FLAC or WAV is always:
Quad: LF, RF, SL, SR
5.0: LF, RF, C, SL, SR
5.1: LF, RF, C, LFE, SL, SR
7.1: LF, RF, C, LFE, SL, SR, BL, BR
7.1: LF, RF, C, LFE, BL, BR, SL, SR

It appears you may have your AVR set to upmix which is why you are hearing something out of all speakers when playing back 6 channel files.

Most AVRs ignore channel layout tags and play by number of channels in the file. To get yours to play FLAC with sides as rears you’ll need to remix into a 7.1 (8 channel) file with silent side channels.

I‘m surprised Kodi 19 on your RPi can’t play mka or m4a files. Have you got your Kodi audio output set to ‘HDMI pass-through’ and you’ve set the Kodi settings for AVR for DTS-HDMA and TrueHD to ‘enabled’?
Thank you. It's possible the AVR will upmix. I will look.

I will remix into 7.1 with silent sides.

On the Kodi 19 on RPi, I did have the HDMI pass-through on and DTS-HDMA & TrueHD enabled. It did NOT play either mka nor m4a files. It tries to but loops between 1 second and ~12 seconds very very fast with no sound output as if it was unable to read the file correctly. Another side effect was that it would not play the sound from an mka (concert) file until I turned off the HDMI pass-through.

@HomerJAU
Hey Garry, I tried making my first M3U file with some of my up-mixes on an SSD, plugged it into the front of my oppo 205, but it doesn't seem to "see" (display) the M3U file. I also notice that most but not all of the files are recognized on my computer's Foobar2K when I play it. Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible? I put the M3U file in the main root drive.

5.1 files have only sides and you would need to make a 7.1 file to output true rear channels in relation to sides.

Why are you swapping from sides to rears again? Have you double checked the un-altered flac visually to make sure the they do indeed need to be "moved"? I haven't seen layout problems mentioned in a long long time.
Not a channel layout problem as much as the aesthetics of my room. I prefer the surround to come from my rear speakers as opposed to the side.

Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible? I put the M3U file in the main root drive.

I have not tried playing m3u files on my old Oppo but I saw on the net that Oppos do play m3u.

Its possible the file name may have to end in lower case .m3u

You can try with the file in a different folder or maybe there’s another Oppo file browser mode. I think there’s ‘video’ and ‘audio’. Maybe there’s another option?

I found a post on the net that says m3u is not working with recent firmware on the Oppos. Another post says CUE is supported on Oppo 100 and 200 models.

I have not tried playing m3u files on my old Oppo but I saw on the net that Oppos do play m3u.

Its possible the file name may have to end in lower case .m3u

You can try with the file in a different folder or maybe there’s another Oppo file browser mode. I think there’s ‘video’ and ‘audio’. Maybe there’s another option?
Yeah, I tried all the modes, and it just doesn't show. I'm also going to try it plugged into my NUC and then through the network, just as another possibility.

Not a channel layout problem as much as the aesthetics of my room. I prefer the surround to come from my rear speakers as opposed to the side.

So you prefer the 5.1 mix of Abbey Road rather than the Atmos with all 7.1 speakers?

Sorry I didn’t answer this question. Check the files that don’t play from the m3u do play when selected directly from Foobar.
Looks like it's getting hung up on certain characters in the folder names (that first one is an "x" and the second one maybe a hyphen.)
I tried to rename the folders and start over in MMH but it just stopped at the missing folder names and didn't load the rest; so looks like I'll need to start over.

FB2K - M3U.jpg

It looks like a Unicode character issue. MMH should be ok with them.

You can try opening the m3u file in notepad and seeing if the paths look ok.

It looks like a Unicode character issue. MMH should be ok with them.

You can try opening the m3u file in notepad and seeing if the paths look ok.
Well I did set up my SSD to play through the NUC networked over to the oppo no problem and once I included the SSD to the Music library, it can play fine to the oppo. But it still wont see the m3u file.

So is it possible for you to make MMH convert an m3u file into a cue file for the oppos? I need to check if it sees cue files though and can run them OK; never tried that before.

So you prefer the 5.1 mix of Abbey Road rather than the Atmos with all 7.1 speakers?
No. I just started working with Kodi on the RPi. I can't get it to stream the full 7.1 mix so I would prefer the 5.1 surround come from the rear speakers until Atmos starts working. I love the Atmos mix but I currently can only get that direct from the Blu-Ray.

The Salsa Atmos Disc from VibraSon is actually good Atmos, it has 5 good songs, including 2 from Sting.

The latest sw release did not split the MKV in Atmos though before you would get an option to select the Atmos track before splitting, now it only gives you a legacy option. I downgraded the SW to the previous release and it gave me the option to select the Atmos track to split again. Maybe it is the file, but I'm sharing if you are curious. It is amazing sw.

The latest sw release did not split the MKV in Atmos though before you would get an option to select the Atmos track before splitting,

Thanks for reporting this. What version of MMH has the problem? Is it MMH 5 Or latest MMH 4?

No. I just started working with Kodi on the RPi. I can't get it to stream the full 7.1 mix so I would prefer the 5.1 surround come from the rear speakers until Atmos starts working. I love the Atmos mix but I currently can only get that direct from the Blu-Ray.

OK. Although I use Kodi daily, I don't use that hardware/software. I am using a Win 10, 10th gen Intel laptop with a Harmony hub, Companion remote (bluetooth). It was on sale at Costco for $275, i5 processor, mis-labeled as an i3.

That seems like a lot of work to fit the files to non-working hardware/software, rather than getting a working Kodi setup going. My $25 Firestick 4K plays 7.1 FLACs with Kodi, although I can't really recommend it any longer since the software has been "updated". The ODROID gets good marks for Kodi. Good luck...

I think 5, the one that is up for download

I just tested MMH 5.0.2 (latest MMH 5) and 'Extract Audio from MKV' is working for my test MKV with multiple audio streams.

Can you please try with MMH 5.0.2 (link on first post here). If you have a problem please PM me with details of how to replicate the issue.

THX

Music Media Helper 5 update released.

Version 5.0.3 (July 24 2021)
-------------
Changes:
PDF Docs updated

Fixes:
Printing Grids in .NET 5 from Media Manager and Playlist Editor gave error - fixed
PlayList Editor: Drag & Drop of files into playlist did not add file Duration - fixed

Version 5.0.2 (July 17 2021) - changelog not previously posted
-------------
Changes:
Updated to latest MKVtoolnix components

Fixes:
Musicbrainz Tag lookup: Button not in correct location in .NET 5 dialog - fixed
MMH 5 failed to allow double-click to pop up tag edit dialog in grids - fixed
MMH 5 failed to hide command-line interface on some processes - fixed

There was no 5.0.1 public release (used for internal tests only)

Last edited:
Back