HiRez Poll Goodwin, Gordon - BIG PHAT BAND XXL [DVD-A]-[Dualdisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Gordon Goodwins - BIG PHAT BAND XXL

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
On the back of the DVD-AUDIO version, it says the audio is 24-96 kHz, with 24-48 kHz Dolby Audio. Wouldn’t the Dualdisc also just have 24-48 Dolby Audio? It’s possible, but doesn’t seem likely that another mastering of DVD-Audio at 24-48 MLP lossless would have happened? Especially if the Dualdisc is single layer, 4.75 GB or less, with all those other extra’s.

Either the Oppo is wrong, or there are 2 different Dualdisc versions. If there’s nothing in the Audio_TS folder on the Dualdisc, how can there be DVD-Audio? Anyway, something doesn’t add up somewhere.

If your disc is identical to mine, this should be the info screen from your Oppo below. I think the issue may be in your Oppo settings, worth checking anyway. Go to Settings> Audio Output Settings>DVD Audio and select DVD Audio as your default as opposed to DVD Video (which will play DD). If your disc is in while you do this, you'll have to eject the disc and restart for the new setting to take effect. Hope this works for you.
View attachment 69286
ok...now this is getting weird...yes this is definitely a DVD-A screen. Mine has an average 800 mps, no DVD Audio recognition and the audio tracks have 2 options, one 5.1 DD and the other 2.0 DD. I thought maybe the OPPO UDP205 could be the problem so I tried to put the disc into my older BDP83SE but it still plays only the DVD V version. As I said the AUDIO-TS folder is empty and the disc is but 1.85GB ... Could you please check the disc on your PC to see if your AUDIO_TS folder has files in it ? And also see how much info you have on the disc (should be more than 2GB) ??
I also attach a picture of the DVD layer with the matrix code... SIlverline could have made two different DualDiscs one without the DVD-A layer....maybe by mistake but at least everyone will know that if they want the DVD-A they have to pick the genuine one and avoid the DualDisc...

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_122007.jpg
    IMG_20210722_122007.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 6
ok...now this is getting weird...yes this is definitely a DVD-A screen. Mine has an average 800 mps, no DVD Audio recognition and the audio tracks have 2 options, one 5.1 DD and the other 2.0 DD. I thought maybe the OPPO UDP205 could be the problem so I tried to put the disc into my older BDP83SE but it still plays only the DVD V version. As I said the AUDIO-TS folder is empty and the disc is but 1.85GB ... Could you please check the disc on your PC to see if your AUDIO_TS folder has files in it ? And also see how much info you have on the disc (should be more than 2GB) ??
I also attach a picture of the DVD layer with the matrix code... SIlverline could have made two different DualDiscs one without the DVD-A layer....maybe by mistake but at least everyone will know that if they want the DVD-A they have to pick the genuine one and avoid the DualDisc...
I have an old pc I got running that has an optical drive, can’t get much out of it, but it does say the disc itself is 4.2g in capacity, with 3.96g of info. I would think the low res photos and menu wouldn’t take up much space so MLP @48/24 should fit I’m guessing.

Last edited:
This sounds pretty familiar to me... I recall having to get a second copy as the first one was not high res........ At this time I do not recall if it was the dualdisc or DVDA format that lacked the DVDA stream. If I can find my original disc I will report back.

Silverline kept changing up their release formats, even on the same title. I don't know.... maybe they were looking for 'that sweet spot ' with consumers.
They had a screwie way of doing things which led to unneeded confusion 🥴...

Last edited:
I have looked and have 4 surround discs of this band.
Swinging for the fences is on DVDA and lossless
Act Your Age is a combo CD plus DVD video format Dolby digital.
The Phat Pack has a bonus DVD no high resolution just Dolby digital
I have XXL on dualdisc. This disc does read DVD Audio with 5.1 MLP 48k 24b.
I thought I had got a second copy of xxl to get the DVDA layer but maybe it was a different disc....until I find it who knows...
But it appears only two of their albums came out as DVDAs.

I have looked and have 4 surround discs of this band.
Swinging for the fences is on DVDA and lossless
Act Your Age is a combo CD plus DVD video format Dolby digital.
The Phat Pack has a bonus DVD no high resolution just Dolby digital
I have XXL on dualdisc. This disc does read DVD Audio with 5.1 MLP 48k 24b.
I thought I had got a second copy of xxl to get the DVDA layer but maybe it was a different disc....until I find it who knows...
But it appears only two of their albums came out as DVDAs.
There's a BD-A now, and it smokes! Check it out!!!

I agree with the rest of the reviewers here, this is an EXCELLENT surround disk. I already had the band's "Gordian Knot" disk which is in Atmos, and is also excellent. This XXL disk has wonderfully energetic and richly arranged music, and is very discrete in its 5.1 mix. The bonus is that the disk plays on my Sony player and Denon amp with Neural:X enabled, meaning I get some spacial signal coming out of my Atmos height speakers also... so it's "almost" Atmos! The only downside is that this disk is very hard to find now. Was no longer on Amazon and could not find used anywhere. Thankfully I found it listed as available was through a retailer called J. W. Pepper in the U.S. that then ordered from another source for me.

Back