Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the sideloaded Apple Music app runs on the Shield TV but the login doesn't seem to succeed for whatever reason. I'd be just as happy if the windows Apple-Music-Electron got Atmos functionality which sounds like may happen

Whoa: "Atmos bitstreaming support for all us geeks into Atmos music who don't have (or want) an Apple TV"! Be still, my heart!

A couple of older threads indicate the sideloaded Apple Music Android APK can work on the Shield so maybe the newer version I'm trying is the problem. Or maybe I have to use a mouse, will have to try that. The navigation in the app is definitely not designed for a remote cursor since it assumes phone touch screen etc.

These posts indicate some bitstreaming seems to work but only via usb and a dac and then only stereo and with some caveats. So no evidence the metadata needed to trigger the AVR Atmos decode gets passed.

Also tried the Apple Music app on my girlfriend's (Android) Google Pixel 3a, playing something in Atmos on Apple Music and casting to the Shield feeding my Denon AVR and Atmos system. The cast worked but the AVR Atmos decode didn't get triggered. I need to revisit and make sure Apple Music sees the Pixel 3a as Atmos compatible and that all that stuff is turned on but still suspect casting Atmos from Android phone to the Shield won't work.

Apple Music lossless & Atmos Playback
Can’t find Apple Music in the store

Last edited:
PSA: Unlike Tidal, Apple Music will send a downmixed discrete 5.1 signal to legacy gear that pre-dates Atmos. I attached my Apple TV 4K to one of these units and was able to use it in conjunction with my Marantz 4070 quad amp.
Well, if this true (also contains the Atmos heights and not just the base core channels) then that puts me in a pickle. I've been looking at that piece of gear for awhile now, you know wanting some cool gear without a defined use, but trying to fit it in somehow 😂

But my question is- if this will do it, then why can't I just input the Apple 4K TV into my oppo 205 and run the analogs out to my AVR?

It could put me out further in purchasing a new AVR and actually having Atmos (and still those pesky heights installation would be needed.)

I believe Apple is well positioned to keep the Atmos ball rolling; and mainly in their court!

Well, if this true (also contains the Atmos heights and not just the base core channels) then that puts me in a pickle. I've been looking at that piece of gear for awhile now, you know wanting some cool gear without a defined use, but trying to fit it in somehow 😂

You only get the 'core' 5.1 (an Atmos decoder is required for the height information), but I think it's great that folks with legacy 5.1 setups can still hear all these newly-mixed surround titles exclusive to Apple's streaming service. Tom Petty's Wildflowers still sounds fantastic without the height channels.

But my question is- if this will do it, then why can't I just input the Apple 4K TV into my oppo 205 and run the analogs out to my AVR?

I don't think the Oppo units (or any disc players for that matter) have HDMI inputs, but connecting the Apple TV 4K directly to your AVR via HDMI would probably get you 5.1 DD+ or DD. If your AVR or Amp is old enough to pre-date HDMI, you can use one those HDMI-to-analog boxes that I linked in my original post.
Unrelated, but I also found that the VLC Media Player app for Apple TV 4K will play back 4.0 & 5.1 FLACs via a NAS drive :SB

You only get the 'core' 5.1 (an Atmos decoder is required for the height information), but I think it's great that folks with legacy 5.1 setups can still hear all these newly-mixed surround titles exclusive to Apple's streaming service. Tom Petty's Wildflowers still sounds fantastic without the height channels.

I don't think the Oppo units (or any disc players for that matter) have HDMI inputs, but connecting the Apple TV 4K directly to your AVR via HDMI would probably get you 5.1 DD+ or DD. If your AVR or Amp is old enough to pre-date HDMI, you can use one those HDMI-to-analog boxes that I linked in my original post.
Unrelated, but I also found that the VLC Media Player app for Apple TV 4K will play back 4.0 & 5.1 FLACs via a NAS drive :SB
Several of the Oppo's have HDMI in,including my 105.

I’m Roku centered, and it’s connected to my ATMOS capable sound system anchored by a Marantz 8012. Does anyone know if buying and hooking up an Apple TV to the Marantz will create conflicts with the Roku and how it integrates with the Marantz?

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the new Atmos version of Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know" on Apple Music is far superior to the 5.1 mix from the Hopes & Fears DualDisc DVD-A. It's fully discrete, with piano and strings isolated in the rear/height speakers. I wish they'd re-do the entire album.
Playing it now...this is as you say, very well mixed!!
Yess...bring on the full album...please.

Both my oppo 103 n 203 have HDMI inputs

When did this get added!!?!?! I need to listen today...
Not sure...last Friday I guess.

As ever, if it wasn't for the sharp eyed amongst us, how would we find out about most of these Atmos listings.

Did think about starting a spread sheet or something similar but that may turn into its own nightmare.

Just need something user friendly. .. :unsure:

Aren’t you missing potentially important information in the mix if the heights are not represented?
The height information is in the 5.1 core. Normally it is subtracted out by the atmos processing and added to the height channels. In this case it will just come from whatever speaker(s) contain the information. Note that a highly localized height object may come from information in multiple channels, and therefore not be localized at all without Atmos processing.

The height information is in the 5.1 core. Normally it is subtracted out by the atmos processing and added to the height channels. In this case it will just come from whatever speaker(s) contain the information. Note that a highly localized height object may come from information in multiple channels, and therefore not be localized at all without Atmos processing.
So are you saying it's a less discrete mix in 5.1 form and "not" really a proper down-mix that would be intended by the mix engineers?

Back