Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
231b944c3d5dd4e68197052c83b2fbe4.jpg
Also, her right hand seems strangely large to me. I dunno..... :SB

My quad setup back in 1978.

I still have the Pioneer QC-800A preamp, the 4 Pioneer HPM-150s, the Teac reel to reel, the Pickering cartridge with a spare stylus in stock, all either in daily use or in working condition. The QSD-2 got replaced with a QSD-1 shortly after this picture was taken. Eventually The Technics scope got replaced with a Pioneer SD-1100. The HK demod got replaced with a Pioneer QD-240. The JBL power amplifiers got replaced with a pair of Pioneer SPEC-4s. The Garrard T'table got replaced with a Phase Linear 8000, the silver version of the black Pioneer PL-1000 linear tracker I have in use today. All this was in my apartment I had before I bought the house I am sitting in, 43 years ago!

quadsystem1978.jpg

Another old pic this one from 1973 in a rental house. Me facing away at the controls of the Ampex reel to reel I had, probably putting together a tape of tunes. My hair was a lot longer and actually covered the dome of my head. ( Wow! I forgot about that!) Only things 4 channel were 4 AR-3a speakers and the pair of JBL power amplifiers on the floor driven with Y adaptors from the Dynaco stereo preamp. I was on my way to quad soon.
royalla-1973-ar3a.jpg

McIntosh Mc452 amp, MC-110 preamp (now replace by a C2300 and yes - the fully restored MX-110 is for sale,) Yaqin SD-32a CD player with Psvane tube output, Oracle MKIII turntable with Shure V15 Type cateidge and Jico SAS stylus. Ohm F speakers restored by Millersound - on custom matching risers. Recently added a Bluesound Node 2 streamer and a Denafrips Ares II DAC. I fell in love with those speakers when I first heard them in 1973 at age 17. Heard them again and someone's dorm room a couple of years later and decided I would someday on a pair. Finally found a properly restored pair for the right price in 2011, and I've spent the last 10 years doing a variety of upgrades and additions to the system. I don't anticipate any future changes other than adding additional CDs and LPs. I bought nearly all my HT gear except subwoofers at about the same time, but life got in the way and it's still sitting in boxes in a closet. We have since moved from New York state to North carolina. I just acquired two subwoofers, to directional sites around to replace the dipoles that I had. I will ditch the Denon AVR that I bought many years ago for cheap and I'm planning on getting an Anthem AVM60 to replace it. I'm a new member here and look forward to getting some feedback on proper alignment etc for the new home theater system when it gets installed this fall.

I'm guessing you used the dual Phase Linear noise reduction units for Front & Rear applications? I ran one for many years in my rig back in the day, they worked fairly well for the intended use. Tamed some of the vinyl nasties pretty well.
Yep that was the purpose. The noise and rumble reduction, downward expansion and peak unlimiting worked quite well with records, CD-4 and tapes. I still have the pair but they need recapping. Meanwhile I picked up 2 of the Phase Linear Model 1000 Series Two units on ebay for very little $, seems no one knows about those. They sounded better especially the auto-correlation noise reduction. I've used one of those along with an SAE click and pop reduction unit to copy off LPs to CD and they come out great.

my Reel to Reels:

Nice system @hobie1dog. I enjoyed your video immensely. I used to own the same small wall mounted Mirage speakers but I passed them on to a good friend of mine when I bought a set of Gallo Stradas. I have to say, you have some great friends to lend and gift you with those reel to reel decks. Obviously, you have to be good people to have cultivated those kind of devoted friendships. I fully appreciate the fact that you have your health struggles so I wish you more good days than bad, and also many years of enjoyable listening ahead.

I agree that there is a robotic quality to her pose and her lack of facial expression. I’d say that she’s a replicant built by the Tyrell Corporation. As Deckard would say, “…your basic pleasure model. Talk about ‘beauty and the beast.’” The perfect companion for listening to “mono reprocessed for stereo.”
Ah 1950's Fembots had more attitude.🤖

Back