What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am awaiting delivery on a lightly used copy of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds SACD.
I have heard good things about the surround mix...and have liked the album since I first owned it waaaaaay back when on cassette. I have owned it on cd since it was first released in that format.

I am fairly new to surround sound, only have 70 plus 5.1 mixes but this is one of the best, you wont be disappointed

Midnight Love SACD.jpeg

I picked this up mainly to hear "Sexual Healing" in surround, not really being familiar with the rest of the album. The barrage of sequenced drums, synth horns, and other dated sounds in the opening track definitely took me by surprise! The '80s are strong with this one.

The 5.1 mix is decent, but not spectacular: I would've preferred to have stuff like the rhythm guitars and backing vocals assigned solely to the rear speakers instead of like half-way between the front & rear pairs. There are some isolated elements back there though, usually synth and/or percussion.

Katatonia - Dethroned.jpeg

I kinda wrote these guys off after sampling The Great Cold Distance (too heavy for my tastes), but I really like this one. The style is similar to Opeth's Damnation album or some of Steven Wilson's mellower compositions--think "My Ashes", "Collapse The Light Into Earth", "Insurgentes", etc.

The surround mix is encoded as straight 4.1, like Jethro Tull's This Was. If you rip it and open in your DAW of choice, you will only see five tracks (FL, FR, LFE, RL, RR). It's a nice mix: not very 'aggressive', but there are isolated keyboards and backing vocals popping up in the rear speakers.

The 5.1 mix is decent, but not spectacular: I would've preferred to have stuff like the rhythm guitars and backing vocals assigned solely to the rear speakers instead of like half-way between the front & rear pairs. There are some isolated elements back there though, usually synth and/or percussion.
I gotta disagree with ya there. I love the immersive feeling of mixes that provide a full wall of sound extending along both sides while also assigning some signals to the rears. One of the reasons I harp on having very closely matching if not identical speakers in the four corners, to get those type mixes providing the best possible side wall imaging.
YMMV ;)

Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" SACD.

Took me a long time to convince myself to get this one, even though "Forever Autumn" is one of my favorite Moody Blues-related songs of all time!
Can't wait to hear what that one sounds like in surround! :)
The second song with the giant cylinder unthreading around the room is grand!

Back