Coming in July - Mr. Big's "Lean Into It" (30th Anniversary Edition) on multichannel hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case forget the R...
Steam it is!! :QQlove

See the source image

FULL STEAM AHEAD, Farmer Mike!

I also ordered this. Need to check on my Evo88 order, I reckon...
Finally remembered to check in with them. I emailed the CSO I'd been in touch with previously—I made a large order, including these preorders, months ago—and he must have forwarded the problem to shipping. First, they sent me the tracking info for the items I had already received. Then, they sent a followup email stating the error and that I'd receive a tracking number for Mr. Big and Bob James when they're sent. So, my preorder from months ago still hasn't been sent by them. I think I'll skip going direct for any future Evosound releases.

I sampled a few tracks from the SACD in the car earlier today and I'm really happy with the 5.1 mix. It's similar in approach to the Metallica & Guns 'n' Roses 5.1's - main band upfront, with isolated overdubs (backing vocals, guitar solos, etc) occasionally popping up in the rears or swirling around-the-room. I guess there aren't enough layers in the recording to keep the rear speakers consistently active. There's a particularly fun bit in "To Be With You" where the lead vocal hops speakers. My only complaint so far is that the cymbals are kind of 'dirty-sounding' and a bit too prominent in the busier passages.

I sampled a few tracks from the SACD in the car earlier today and I'm really happy with the 5.1 mix. It's similar in approach to the Metallica & Guns 'n' Roses 5.1's - main band upfront, with isolated overdubs (backing vocals, guitar solos, etc) occasionally popping up in the rears or swirling around-the-room. I guess there aren't enough layers in the recording to keep the rear speakers consistently active. There's a particularly fun bit in "To Be With You" where the lead vocal hops speakers. My only complaint so far is that the cymbals are kind of 'dirty-sounding' and a bit too prominent in the busier passages.
I'm ready for disappointment. The Atmos on Apple Music is super good. I fear the SACD will fall short.

I've listened to this on Tidal (I assume that the atmos mix and the 5.1 mix be fairly similar). It's not particularly adventurous as an album in surround, but it has its moments. It's an enjoyable mix. A bit louder than what I would like it to be.

The stereo remaster is also great, it has good dynamics, good EQ. I can highly recommended it.

Now the question is: "do I enjoy the surround mix more than the stereo mix?" I can't say that's the case for this album, but perhaps it requires more listening... It's all front heavy and not particularly immersive, so when there are discrete moments it does sound a bit strange. I can't explain myself better than this at this stage.

Having said that, I'll probably look for a physical copy if I can find it for a decent price in Australia. I think that the stereo remaster is a must buy.

Last edited:
I'm ready for disappointment. The Atmos on Apple Music is super good. I fear the SACD will fall short.

Chris Bell, the remix engineer, confirmed for me earlier today that the 5.1 mix on the SACD is simply a fold-down of the Atmos. He also mentioned that Evosound is planning more multichannel releases, and that he's trying to convince them to do a Blu-Ray edition with the lossless Atmos mix.

Chris Bell, the remix engineer, confirmed for me earlier today that the 5.1 mix on the SACD is simply a fold-down of the Atmos. He also mentioned that Evosound is planning more multichannel releases, and that he's trying to convince them to do a Blu-Ray edition with the lossless Atmos mix.
My copy should be here soon, so hope to try some comparisons. I do hope that @albertop's comment 'It's all front heavy and not particularly immersive" is not the result of the physical 5.1 disc. The Atmos was very immersive, and used the entire array of speakers well IMO.

Glad to hear Evosound is planning more multichannel and I sincerely hope they do release a blu ray, with Atmos, I would strongly consider buying and therefore it would be a double dip for them from me.

I received an email this morning from Amazon saying they shipped the SACD and it will arrive a day earlier on August 4th but just now received another email telling me the MQA-CD will be delayed to Monday, August 23, 2021 - Sunday, September 26, 2021. I’m going to go ahead and cancel.

very encouraging news on more multichannel releases! thank you for making the enquiries 🙂 was there any mention of the Bob James release? it feels like an album that would lend itself to Surround

My copy should be here soon, so hope to try some comparisons. I do hope that @albertop's comment 'It's all front heavy and not particularly immersive" is not the result of the physical 5.1 disc. The Atmos was very immersive, and used the entire array of speakers well IMO.

Glad to hear Evosound is planning more multichannel and I sincerely hope they do release a blu ray, with Atmos, I would strongly consider buying and therefore it would be a double dip for them from me.
Having listened to the Atmos (in 5.1) one more time, I have to say that it’s better than what I reported above. It uses all speakers in a good way, with some songs being more adventurous than others. Overall, an enjoyable experience and I would also like to get a physical copy.

Just to add….
being very familiar with this album since release, the rhythm guitars are mixed very low in the mix.
Only a minor issue, otherwise this is an excellent release!!
I noticed this as well but the mix sounds great so I'm ok with it. Billy's bass sounds the best I've ever heard it. For a rock album, the 5 1 is really really good. Excellent fidelity and some nice panning effects when the opportunity presents itself. I heartily recommend this title if you like the music. I would buy up every 80's/90's rock surround release if they sounded like this.

I noticed this as well but the mix sounds great so I'm ok with it. Billy's bass sounds the best I've ever heard it. For a rock album, the 5 1 is really really good. Excellent fidelity and some nice panning effects when the opportunity presents itself. I heartily recommend this title if you like the music. I would buy up every 80's/90's rock surround release if they sounded like this.
Also, the late great Pat Torpey’s drums are crystal clear and upfront and Eric’s vocal appears in total isolation in centre channel. Excellent stuff

Back