Audio Quality Comparison

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nivedhya

Is there any way to check and compare Quality of 2 Surround 5.1 Audio Files (like integrated LUFS of Output, channel wise, Total, Kbps, Bit Quality etc.,) whatever max details it can give so that I can analyse & further improve upon it.

I understand it is too difficult to compare 2 different files, but take it for granted it is a conversion of same input through different softwares as 5.1 O/P.

If not software is there a player through which I can play in my Laptop & I can observe output channel wise and make some analysis or correction.

My aim is I want to observe channel wise output, add some effects to some channel & again want to see its result.

Is there any way to check and compare Quality of 2 Surround 5.1 Audio Files (like integrated LUFS of Output, channel wise, Total, Kbps, Bit Quality etc.,) whatever max details it can give so that I can analyse & further improve upon it.

I understand it is too difficult to compare 2 different files, but take it for granted it is a conversion of same input through different softwares as 5.1 O/P.

If not software is there a player through which I can play in my Laptop & I can observe output channel wise and make some analysis or correction.

My aim is I want to observe channel wise output, add some effects to some channel & again want to see its result.

Compare multiple versions of a mix/master in your favorite DAW app.
I'll put each version in its own track.
First normalize the overall level between them. (Turn the louder ones down with the channel fader or item gain.) We humans pick the louder version as sounding better. So try to normalize them as close as possible.

Now compare between versions. Exclusive solo mode with the solo buttons is a way to immediately switch between them.

That uses your ears.

If you have something you're trying to tell if it is an exact copy and you don't trust your lying ears, you can null 2 copies (subtract one from the other). Simply click the polarity reverse button on the track for one of them while listening to both of the tracks to do that quickly.

Perfect null (digital silence) means they are bit for bit exactly the same.

NOTE: Zoom in and make sure the two copies are truly aligned to the sample before doing that null test. Two identical files will not null even close if one is off by even 1 sample or if the level is different between them by 0.1db.

Less than perfect but still nearly nulling still tells you something. If it nulls down around -90db and you just see a little bit of meter wiggle but don't hear anything, they were probably the same file originally and one got a lossy format conversion.

NOTE 2: When trying to normalize multiple copies initially. If one is bass heavy and the other is treble heavy you already have to decide which part to normalize... In this example, you already are calling out the difference because you can't even normalize them!

I've done this with multiple release versions of albums before. It's often very eyebrow raising. You already know there are substandard or damaged copies of albums sold. This exercise will really illustrate that and you will lose what little respect for some record labels you may have had left.

I'll do the same trick with mixes I'm working on. The new version of the mix needs to win the next morning. It doesn't always!

Delta Wave - Will it compare Multichannel 5.1 or only Stereo
I don't know. I have the install package stored on my computer but have not used it. You can find the author over at Audio Science Review forum.
I believe it was written to prove or disprove that an amplifier or other stage is a "straight wire with gain".

Back