HiRez Poll Vicar, The - SONGBOOK #1 [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of The Vicar - SONGBOOK #1

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Thanks Jon for the push. This was on my radar but so many titles and too few bux pushed it into the forgotten. I just ordered it on ePay for $15 Canadian delivered. For Canuck buyers there is a $5 coupon to use with the $20 PRICE.

For those who are thinking of getting the Gene Clark "No Other" deluxe release and might not know what kind of mix Mr. Neil Wilkes might tend to do, seek out this DVD-A, as it will clearly take your surround to the limits. If the first track doesn't get your attention, then you should go back to stereo.

It's a shame this release does not get the long time accolades it deserves. Check it out if you have never heard of it before. It's been 4 years since the last post in this thread.
Wasn't Neil involved in the Love and Rockets Blu Ray Audio disc as well.

Definitely a man who gets surround

Neil, you certainly pushed some boundaries with this slightly quirky but highly enjoyable release.
The mix is top class and the unusual combination of instrument placing in various speakers, makes you sit up and listen for what's coming from where next.
I'm a sucker for deep throated cello's and this has it in bucket loads.
Hovering between a 9 and a 10.
For all the above reasons it's a 10

First of all, the menu interface is superb. Kudos to the authoring team (Neil Wilkes and co). The mix is also quite good, instruments are well placed and very hierachical. However for the not so good, 44.1 is an odd sampling rate for DVD Audio, maybe it's placebo, I don't feel I get the same fidelity. And very unfortunately I cannot for the life of me, get into the music on this disc. It feels disjointed, oblique and jarring in some of the tracks. The 5.1 mix could not elevate the overall score of the unit. So most points were awarded to the presentation and the effort. I rarely give low points but this is just not my cup of tea.
I wrote this years ago and I have to say, this is one of the rare occasions where the music has grown on me so much(getting close to the big 5-0) that I keep coming back to this over and over again. I still think the resolution MCH could be better but it's so easily forgiven for the brilliant music and mix. Thanks Neil and co. A 10 from me after upping the content.

What a truly outstanding mix of music, mix and sound. I like every part of this individually and combined this is one of the most interesting things I've listened to in a decade that wasn't a Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree joint.

The surround is brilliant and airy. It's all around but not overwhelming. Just interesting melodic sounds from everywhere. I like the strings in the back. Everything seems to have a nice place to play.

The music is fun too, pick your eclectic genre mix and you'll probably be right at some level. There is a lot of crossover, but British prog seems to be the defining flavor.

I am barely through my first listen and I had to stop and just say thanks to all involved. I may jump back in after a few more listens as there is so much enjoyable goodness.

Last edited:
What a truly outstanding mix of music, mix and sound. I like every part of this individually and combined this is one of the most interesting things I've listened to in a decade that wasn't a Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree joint.

The surround is brilliant and airy. It's all around but not overwhelming. Just interesting melodic sounds from everywhere. I like the strings in the back. Everything seems to have a nice place to play.

The music is fun too, pick you eclectic genre mix and you'll probably be right at some level. There is a lot of crossover, but British prog seems to be the defining flavor.

I am barely through my first listen and I had to stop and just say thanks to all involved. I may jump back in after a few more listens as there is so much enjoyable goodness.

The music is fun too, pick you eclectic genre mix and you'll probably be right at some level. There is a lot of crossover, but British prog seems to be the defining flavor.

David Singleton is a FB friend and I am going to send this review to him. I'm sure he'll appreciate it. John

Back