The adventures of GOS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If an appliance gets flooded, it has to completely dry out before it is tried to see if it works. Water can get into motors, bearings (mixing with the lube to make a paste), gearboxes, and electrical parts. It it is not all removed, it can cause electrical damage or a mechanical lockup.

If there is sediment in the floodwater, it can lock things up even worse.

I have a full basement and I would MUCH rather have the space in an above-ground building. One of my favorite things is when it gets really hot during the day in the summer and then there is a thunderstorm at the end of the day.

However, that is always tempered by having to worry about water in the basement with a heavy rain.

Basements basically suck.

Doug

They are doing pretty good. Though, the man's wife is super depressed as she lost all of her personal belongings. He's a DIY type of guy, so he already installed washer/dryer, etc yesterday. They are older than I am.....65'ish.

Yeah, that dumb rain we got......I had 2 internal doors sitting outside and they absorbed that rain and the wood is blistered.

Gene, when things get back to a 'semblance of normality' you should consider these affordable waterproof storage containers to put any future valuables in when storing in the basement. Home Depot also has comparable storage containers and they sometimes go on sale..and they're stackable!

https://www.grainger.com/product/DU...8LU48?opr=PDPRRDSP&analytics=dsrrItems_49H270

Believe it or not, today, we had a 5% chance of rain, and a single cell sat over my town and we got super heavy rain. It lasted about 15 minutes. We got another 8 tenths (nearly an inch) and it instantly ponded and flooded a few streets in town. Now the sun is shining....
So sorry for your misfortune, and I hope you'll be able to put it behind you before too long. In the meantime . . .

Reactions: GOS
This happened on 06/18/21 a few blocks from my house:

flood06-18-21.png

This is a still from a movie sent to me which will not post here.

Those are streets. But that pipe railing is on a bridge over a creek that is normally at least 6 feet down from the street. And in the movie, the water is furiously rushing down the creek (to the right in the photo) where the rapids are. Each rapid peak took about 2 seconds to cross the frame.

We had 9 inches of rain in less than an hour.

People were complaining that the storm drains were not big enough to drain away the water. But the storm drains are pipes that empty into the creek. There was no place for the water to go.

Many basements filled up.

I was not affected because I live on a hill two blocks from the stream.

But I am still suffering aftereffects from a tree blowing down on my house on 12/30/19. The roof is fixed, but I can't get anyone to repair the ceiling without everything being taken from the room (my media room). I want it done in stages so I can continue to use my equipment.

This happened on 06/18/21 a few blocks from my house:

View attachment 70227

This is a still from a movie sent to me which will not post here.

Those are streets. But that pipe railing is on a bridge over a creek that is normally at least 6 feet down from the street. And in the movie, the water is furiously rushing down the creek (to the right in the photo) where the rapids are. Each rapid peak took about 2 seconds to cross the frame.

We had 9 inches of rain in less than an hour.

People were complaining that the storm drains were not big enough to drain away the water. But the storm drains are pipes that empty into the creek. There was no place for the water to go.

Many basements filled up.

I was not affected because I live on a hill two blocks from the stream.

But I am still suffering aftereffects from a tree blowing down on my house on 12/30/19. The roof is fixed, but I can't get anyone to repair the ceiling without everything being taken from the room (my media room). I want it done in stages so I can continue to use my equipment.

wow !!! sorry to hear. nine inches in less than an hour ?? Amazing !!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap that is a terrible event. I'm not sure where exactly central IL is but I haven't heard anything on the news about flooding in that area. I hope the best for a decent rebound. We had flood insurance when we had a mortgage but that went away years ago when the house was paid off.

Like you I have a cinder block basement that used to take on water pretty good until we had an interior drain & sump pump installed. Dry as bone unless the power goes out. Unlike you all my media & audio video stuff is in the basement. So when I see your disaster it really hits home. Best of luck, my friend.
Feel so bad for Brother Gene and his wife. Recovery from something like this is never easy from a family keepsake perspective or even possible, but I'm glad that reparations are underway and that Gene is blessed with caring, wonderful neighbors.

Hang in there, Gene - know that your QQ brethren are pulling for you and are with you in spirit!

It's always the poor and the vulnerable who pay the price for mankind's actions.
I know we don't go near politics here but my heart really goes out to all those affected by these unnatural disasters.
Us humans need to realise that we are here to look after one another and our planet too.
And then we read that Sonik, Jon and Ralphy have had their own flooding, problems.
I'm sure your local community will help each other out in the short term, Gene and for those that are desperate, I hope they get all the help they need.
So true, Beer! Like one of my favorite guitarists (TS McPhee with the Groundhogs) put it back in the early 70s:

The world can't give
At its life and live
We must give back or lose it

It can't take floods
Of plastic mud
The choice is ours so use it

Correction:

The world can't give
All its life and live
We must give back or lose it

It can't take floods
Of plastic mud
The choice is ours so use it
Nice choice! The first band I ever saw (in the summer of 1974, a few days after I finished my O Level exams, so 16 yrs old), The Groundhogs, from the song "Music is The Food Of Thought" on 1972's Who Will Save The World - which I have on the original vinyl. I have every album in multiple formats!

And like @Sonik Wiz, my main system and my prized surround and vinyl collections are housed in my basement.

My set up is the basement by choice... it makes for a little special area that's all mine. You know, I get a peaceful easy feeling every time I walk in.
So I hope it continues well for you.

Before we had the basement fixed similar to what Jon did, it took on a couple of inches after a heavy rain, soon after we moved in. My LP collection was still in cardboard boxes sitting on the floor & soaked up water like a sponge. I carried them upstairs & spaced them out vertically leaning on the wall to dry out. I left the records in the jacket, IIRC, because knowing they were plastic I was more concerned about the covers. Months later I figured that was a Bad Idea since certainly there must be black mold & musty grunginess on them. But it was the digital age & records was not a top priority. A few years ago I could not deny the urge to play the 1st Boston album that I had only on LP. With a bit of trepidation I pulled it out of the sleeve and it was.... perfect! From my earliest days I always bought good quality plastic LP sleeves & they saved the day being waterproof. So all the water damaged albums had records in them as good as the last time I played them.

Anyways, here's hoping @GOS gets much accomplished rapido so he can get back to grilling soon!

My set up is the basement by choice... it makes for a little special area that's all mine. You know, I get a peaceful easy feeling every time I walk in.
So I hope it continues well for you.

Before we had the basement fixed similar to what Jon did, it took on a couple of inches after a heavy rain, soon after we moved in. My LP collection was still in cardboard boxes sitting on the floor & soaked up water like a sponge. I carried them upstairs & spaced them out vertically leaning on the wall to dry out. I left the records in the jacket, IIRC, because knowing they were plastic I was more concerned about the covers. Months later I figured that was a Bad Idea since certainly there must be black mold & musty grunginess on them. But it was the digital age & records was not a top priority. A few years ago I could not deny the urge to play the 1st Boston album that I had only on LP. With a bit of trepidation I pulled it out of the sleeve and it was.... perfect! From my earliest days I always bought good quality plastic LP sleeves & they saved the day being waterproof. So all the water damaged albums had records in them as good as the last time I played them.

Anyways, here's hoping @GOS gets much accomplished rapido so he can get back to grilling soon!

Always knew you were WET AND WILD, SW...and I'm always a sucker for Happy Endings!🌈

So, here is an oddity. Again, my town is about 3400 people. Typical rural, corn country. That said, we do have a pretty popular drive in movie theater. The owners (not from the area) cried spilt milk on Facebook, saying their expensive equipment was ruined and would have to be replaced. Next thing I see, the owner has a gofundme set up asking for $5000 from the community.

What the fuck is that all about? First, I'm guessing, if he owns a drive in, he's got more money (on paper) than 95% of the poor folks who lost even more than $5000. Jesus, I had more damages than $5000 and I had to simply go buy new stuff and charge it because I don't have that kind of money laying around.

I'm honestly shocked at the audacity........bastard. Get out your damn credit card and pay for the shit yourself.

So, here is an oddity. Again, my town is about 3400 people. Typical rural, corn country. That said, we do have a pretty popular drive in movie theater. The owners (not from the area) cried spilt milk on Facebook, saying their expensive equipment was ruined and would have to be replaced. Next thing I see, the owner has a gofundme set up asking for $5000 from the community.

What the fuck is that all about? First, I'm guessing, if he owns a drive in, he's got more money (on paper) than 95% of the poor folks who lost even more than $5000. Jesus, I had more damages than $5000 and I had to simply go buy new stuff and charge it because I don't have that kind of money laying around.

I'm honestly shocked at the audacity........bastard. Get out your damn credit card and pay for the shit yourself.
Is this the place?
1629326288697.png

I couldn't agree with you more on your comments. As a business he should have flood insurance anyway, esp if he owes loan money on it. Looks like they are back open for business. He should have fund raiser presentation to benefit the folks that are worse off than the owner is.

Is this the place?
View attachment 70268

I couldn't agree with you more on your comments. As a business he should have flood insurance anyway, esp if he owes loan money on it. Looks like they are back open for business. He should have fund raiser presentation to benefit the folks that are worse off than the owner is.
wow!! Yes, that's it.

Back