Apple to support Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iā€™m looking forward to seeing how this rolls out!!
DCD46202-44F0-4C54-8CAB-570805B87EF2.jpeg

It's insulting that Apple suggests they "support" Atmos - when it doesn't work! Mac mini + hdmi + receiver capable of receiving Atmos from every other hdmi device I've connected to it = no detection of Atmos. When I checked the option to turn on Atmos in Apple music, it told me I need to buy a soundbar or headphones that supports it.

As someone that bought into Atmos and enjoys listening to Atmos, once again I have to say, fuck Atmos! Dolby, and all the other participants, have really screwed us over on this one. If you thought figuring out quad was bad.....wait until you try this one. This stands absolutely no chance.

Bloaters -maybe, hey!!!

A type of whole, cold-smoked herring. Bloaters are "salted and lightly smoked without gutting, giving a characteristic slightly gamey flavour" šŸ˜£

Be checking this out soon, once my Apple TV 4K hits; many, many questions remain :unsure:

Just got off of an apple support chat. They suggested I should try restarting the mac mini. Then they gave me the 1-800 number to call. Which, I would have highlighted, pressed ctrl-c, right clicked on an empty spot on the desktop, created a new text document, and then pasted the case number and phone number into there, to have it saved on the desktop for easy access.

But - since Apple hasn't ever been able to figure out how to make a decent thing in their lives - I have a bunch of folders on the desktop with the information pasted in from mouse commands. Lucky I had a standard mouse connected so I could at least right click.

(In case you haven't noticed - I'm not a fan of Apple)

It's insulting that Apple suggests they "support" Atmos - when it doesn't work! Mac mini + hdmi + receiver capable of receiving Atmos from every other hdmi device I've connected to it = no detection of Atmos. When I checked the option to turn on Atmos in Apple music, it told me I need to buy a soundbar or headphones that supports it.

As someone that bought into Atmos and enjoys listening to Atmos, once again I have to say, fuck Atmos! Dolby, and all the other participants, have really screwed us over on this one. If you thought figuring out quad was bad.....wait until you try this one. This stands absolutely no chance.

Hey ArmyOfQuad, I keep reminding myself that all of this mental self-flagellation keeps my old brain at the top of its game. Just keep telling yourself that you are not going to let these tech gurus at Dolby and Apple break you.

Reactions: mkt

AoQ: it also infuriates me that we're expected to buy yet another piece of intermediary hardware when, technically speaking, they could just make it possible for us to connect our computers to our Atmos-ready AVRs via HDMI. But that's not how they've chosen to do it, at least not for the time being. If you want to stream Dolby Atmos from Apple Music to your AVR, you have no choice but to buy an Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:
That's how it appears - but then I've seen things suggesting Big Sur supports it, and the option is there to turn it on. But then it talks about speakers or headphones that support it. But - whether it's sending it to speakers or headphones, it should be sending the atmos signal.

Problem is, whoever I get at support isn't going to have a damn clue about any of this! Ask anyone at tidal or amazon about getting atmos onto a marantz receiver, and their canned response is, oh, we don't support marantz hardware at this time. Yet.....it works perfectly fine once configured properly. Until it doesn't, of course. No one has a fucking clue what they're doing, and when things get to the point that I barely have a clue, then things have gone off the fucking rails! Dolby needs to get their collective heads out of their asses, and fucking fix this shit!

That's how it appears - but then I've seen things suggesting Big Sur supports it, and the option is there to turn it on. But then it talks about speakers or headphones that support it. But - whether it's sending it to speakers or headphones, it should be sending the atmos signal.
I totally get your frustration, it stinks when the support people have no clue.

Have you made sure your settings in Apple Music are for playback of Atmos??

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 12.30.23 PM.png

Problem is, whoever I get at support isn't going to have a damn clue about any of this! Ask anyone at tidal or amazon about getting atmos onto a marantz receiver, and their canned response is, oh, we don't support marantz hardware at this time. Yet.....it works perfectly fine once configured properly. Until it doesn't, of course. No one has a fucking clue what they're doing, and when things get to the point that I barely have a clue, then things have gone off the fucking rails! Dolby needs to get their collective heads out of their asses, and fucking fix this shit!

Yeah was wondering looking at newer Atmos capable AVR marantz says their Atmos compatible n can STREAM APPLE MUSIC...so if i buy a newer AVR thats BOTH Atmos n Apple streaming capable WTF Do I Need to Also Buy a Apple 4K TV????

When it comes to built in streaming services in equipment, I've found it to be shotty at best. Also - it has been proven time and time again these companies have absolutely no problem upgrading the requirements of their services, rendering a bunch of existing equipment obsolete for their service, in the blink of an eye! It's why I've reached the point of literally having a Windows 10 mini PC with hdmi out connected to my main receiver. It's a bit clunky having to deal with a wireless mouse and keyboard for a remote control - but it's the most versatile option out there, for just about everything but Apple, of course! (and I don't know that Tidal supports atmos on Win10 to be fair, I only played around with the fire cube). But then....even that isn't a sure fire solution, as my older Denon receivers balk at PC hdmi. Currently, I have my home office setup with my PC using 2 HDMI outputs on the video card, one directly to the TV, and one to the receiver. If I want to play PC sounds out the receiver, I have to reach behind the receiver, and disconnect the hdmi out that goes to the TV. If I want to watch a DVD, I have to reach behind the receiver, and physically reconnect the HDMI cable. It's the only way I can make the Denon receiver do what I need it to do. Absolutely ridiculous....but there you go.... I suppose my grumblings are a bit off topic at this point, so I won't bother to go into the DVD ripping, media server, backup maintenance nightmares I'm dealing with this weekend. If I could have all the time back that I spend dealing with incompetent programming bullshit that results in very poor design and things rarely working as they should, I'd probably have a shit ton more conversions coming out....but project and relaxation time continues to be wasted away at being pulled down rabbit holes of fixing stuff every damn time I just want to sit down, relax, and watch a few Mama's Family episodes.

Yeah was wondering looking at newer Atmos capable AVR marantz says their Atmos compatible n can STREAM APPLE MUSIC...so if i buy a newer AVR thats BOTH Atmos n Apple streaming capable WTF Do I Need to Also Buy a Apple 4K TV????
I'm afraid you do...
No matter what, the Apple 4K box, is the only way that folk are going to be able to get Apples version of Dolby Atmos plus a Dolby Atmos capable AVR
I agree it could be clearer and you are not alone in trying to figure out exactly what is required.

So then the whole Apple claim that Big Sur supports Atmos is a lie?
The issue is that Big Sur does support Atmos but, according to what I've read, just through the Mac's speakers or "atmos enabled" headphones/air pods. No way to send the DD+ data stream through an HDMI to an AVR or other device.

I see....it only supports fake Atmos, which is what we really should start calling all these bullshit things that supposedly do "Atmos" without any multichannel speaker setup.
As much as it has taken Apple a looooooong time to implement the latest tech in their Apple TV's, these devices still seem to be THE way to go for movies and now music in Atmos. I've had 1st, 3rd gen and now 4K versions and I'm glad I stuck with them. When I had a Mac Mini it was always a pain for music and even my MacBook Pro's so I never really relied on them or embraced those for music playback. Heck we even ripped a bunch of redbook to a hard drive...and guess what? That hard drive is collection years of dust. Just never used it even though we had grand intentions. I'll just as well pop in a physical disc or now that Apple Music has lossless (and Atmos) is the way to go for me - and coming from Qobuz and Tidal (both which are no longer subscribed to by me).

The other dirty little secret is that after all the time the new M1 based Macs have been in production, Dolby's Atmos renderer still does not run on them. Maybe piling on with a completely separate issue but I'm really surprised that with all the hype by both Dolby and Apple that the software doesn't run on the latest hardware which would be a nasty surprise if you didn't know that. IE you buy the latest and greatest mac mini expecting to run a DAW and the Dolby renderer to mix Atmos and find out it only works on the previous gen hardware and OS.

Back