American Groups/Artists in Surround , Most CONCERNING.......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an American artist myself I pinpoint 3 reasons.

1. Streaming has become king. That's fine and all, but physical sales (aside from vinyl) are at an all time low because no major US retailer carries CDs anymore.

2. Presence of AV receivers in the US market. At one point it was well over 50% of households. Again, due to streaming, it's probably very low. Compared to ten years ago, I can't find a single person in my area with a receiver now.

3. American artists do not have good decision making skills. Especially when it comes to mixing/surround. Examples: Silverline Label, John Mayer, Majority of the Apple Spatial Audio releases, etc.

But Mr. A., we cannot discount American remix 'artists' such as Elliot Scheiner, Bob Clearmountain and of course all those wonderful QUAD magicians from the 70's whose QUAD remixes are, IMO, SUPERB.

And then those HOLLYWOOD remix artists ...... Ou La LA!

Neither of my sons have an AVR, 31 and 29 years old. Obviously, they grew up in a house where audio equipment was mandatory....and still.......amazing......

Hmm , that's interesting , Gene .
Both of mine have access to an AVR and plenty of surround movies , and some surround recordings.
BTW , They are in their late 30's.
When they were young I took them to used record stores and taught them how to recognize various Quad emblems on the front and back of albums.
A boring sport , but exciting when you find one.

I also taught them how to switch on the quad decoders , connected to my amp and preamp and Russound QT 1, and did they ever learn quickly . Not even their Mom knew how , but they would show her.

But Mr. A., we cannot discount American remix 'artists' such as Elliot Scheiner, Bob Clearmountain and of course all those wonderful QUAD magicians from the 70's whose QUAD remixes are, IMO, SUPERB.

And then those HOLLYWOOD remix artists ...... Ou La LA!
True, we cannot. Remix artists are often very very good at what they do.

Hmm , that's interesting , Gene .
Both of mine have access to an AVR and plenty of surround movies , and some surround recordings.
BTW , They are in their late 30's.
When they were young I took them to used record stores and taught them how to recognize various Quad emblems on the front and back of albums.
A boring sport , but exciting when you find one.

I also taught them how to switch on the quad decoders , connected to my amp and preamp and Russound QT 1, and did they ever learn quickly . Not even their Mom knew how , but they would show her.
In an oldie issue of AUDIO magazine it was posited thst if you want your kids to never listen to The Beatles, The Stones, PF, just tell them how great they are. Cuz you know, that's Dad's music. I guess it can go both ways....

True, we cannot. Remix artists are often very very good at what they do.

And to be fair, there's about 12~20 Silverline MLP DVD~As that really shine and have great remixes .... It's those dreadful upmixes from stereo sources and the LIVE FROM THE FRONT ROW series that really gave them a bad rep. If you play some of those 'front row' dvd~as in Stereo, as intended, some of them are really nice as they're 24/96!

:unsure:
🤷‍♂️

Has anybody else noticed the lack of American Groups not recording Newer , Current , or Older albums in Surround ?

There seems to be only British , European , and Asian Artists releasing their catalogs or older releases in 5.1 or Atmos.
And lots of newer recordings as well.

It's been Quite some time since Tom Petty (a little while), Neil Young (CanAm) , or groups like Aerosmith , The Grateful Dead , Bob Dylan etc , are doing anything such as a recording contribution Surround Music.

Maybe I'm missing something ? But so far as I have noticed there seems to be a lack of Surround by some very big U.S. artists.

If anyone has a listing of rumoured or supposed surrounds ...well please update me (or us on QQ ).
Anyway this phenomenon has been something i've noticed lately . And i Hope I'm wrong about this newly evolving pattern .
It’s most likely because the world is going to end soon enough. So, they figure, why bother?! 🤷‍♂️

Neither of my sons have an AVR, 31 and 29 years old. Obviously, they grew up in a house where audio equipment was mandatory....and still.......amazing......
Same with my kids. Grew up with an audio engineer for a dad. Always played music with a very decent stereo, then surround system. No love from them when it comes to surround or even high fidelity.
Maybe, their mother being an MD had something to do with it. :cautious: 🥃🥃

My daughter is in her late 40's. On her last visit I gave her my old Onkyo TX-NR606. I'd be surprised if it's got any speakers hooked up and more surprised if it had a working 5.1 speaker system.
Hope springs eternal, though. Her long time Beau works side jobs installing car stereo so I thought, just maybe.....That old 606 was a hasty purchase when my Sony AVR suffered a sudden death.

🤷‍♂️

Has anybody else noticed the lack of American Groups not recording Newer , Current , or Older albums in Surround ?

There seems to be only British , European , and Asian Artists releasing their catalogs or older releases in 5.1 or Atmos.

It's been Quite some time since Tom Petty (a little while), Neil Young (CanAm) , or groups like Aerosmith , The Grateful Dead , Bob Dylan etc , are doing anything such as a recording contribution Surround Music.

Maybe I'm missing something ? But so far as I have noticed there seems to be a lack of Surround by some very big U.S. artists.ut
B
🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'm missing something ? But so far as I have noticed there seems to be a lack of Surround by some very big U.S. artists.

If anyone has a listing of rumoured or supposed surrounds ...well please update me (or us on QQ ).
Anyway this phenomenon has been something i've noticed lately . And i Hope I'm wrong about this newly evolving pattern .
In Tom Petty's case, he has a good excuse... he's dead. But there are several others who could be remixing some back catalog in surround, as well as any new music they might make. I'm guessing, too, that it's more the record companies who are putting the kibosh on doing it, citing a very limited customer base for it. I guess if we keep letting Dutton Vocalion know, they might lobby in our favor.

Again I say that the market for surround seems to be small. I hear more surround in TV ads than in anything else (though the History Channel supplies me with plenty).

I want recordings on CD, not those fancy esoteric formats. And I want matrix recordings. I would buy the original matrix recordings on LP or CD now. I wasted enough money on multiple formats that didn't pan put in the 1970s.

Well , like I said before somewhere's on a post .....What are all those QS and SQ Master tapes doing lying Dormant in the Record Label's vaults ?
When they could be put to use !
Like being listened to by us quadraphiles on CD , (even on newly pressed vinyl)
Sony/CBS comes to mind : As does ABC/Impulse .

🤷‍♂️

Before this becomes conventional wisdom here, I’d like to see some actual statistical evidence of it being true rather than assuming some anecdotal observation is fact. Personally I’m not convinced there’s anything at American artists not being as active recently in releasing legacy works in surround.

How far back is recently? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? Are Tom Petty, Luther Vandross, John Meyer, The Killers, Modest Mouse, etc. not American? They all have recent Atmos mixes. Or all of the Blue Note jazz artists now in Atmos on Apple Music, not American?

Just scrolling through the Rock category in Apple Music, I see quite a few (and probably the solid majority are) American artists with new Atmos mixes. And honestly in the Pop category in Apple Music, I don’t even know who many of the artists are with Atmos mixes - let alone what country they are from.

I’m guessing the vast majority of hip-hop & country artists with Atmos mixes are American.

Before this becomes conventional wisdom here, I’d like to see some actual statistical evidence of it being true rather than assuming some anecdotal observation is fact. Personally I’m not convinced there’s anything at American artists not being as active recently in releasing legacy works in surround.

How far back is recently? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years? Are Tom Petty, Luther Vandross, John Meyer, The Killers, Modest Mouse, etc. not American? They all have recent Atmos mixes. Or all of the Blue Note jazz artists now in Atmos on Apple Music, not American?

Just scrolling through the Rock category in Apple Music, I see quite a few (and probably the solid majority are) American artists with new Atmos mixes. And honestly in the Pop category in Apple Music, I don’t even know who many of the artists are with Atmos mixes - let alone what country they are from.

I’m guessing the vast majority of hip-hop & country artists with Atmos mixes are American.
Yes but we're talking about real physical releases. Most artists have suddenly decided to do Atmos mixes because Apple go brrrrrrrr, and many of those mixes are bad.

Yes but we're talking about real physical releases. Most artists have suddenly decided to do Atmos mixes because Apple go brrrrrrrr, and many of those mixes are bad.
Few artists are doing physical surround releases in general. And it appears that will become fewer and fewer. I don’t like it, but unfortunately the market for physical releases is diminishing by the day. And the powers-that-be couldn’t be happier. And yes, many of the mixes aren’t much to write home about but that’s a different discussion.

Regardless, to draw any conclusions from such a small denominator seems a fool’s errand to me.

You need not go far.

Check out Haikubass' last 3-4 years. It's probably 80 per cent British/European.

Well , there is a couple, a few , like Kenny Wayne Sheppard , and lots of reissues via Dutton Vocalion , and The Doobies , but I see mostly European and British groups throughout. Nothing much in the new recordings category I'm afraid .

Back